• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Trent Bridge

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bresnan's just about a better bat. Shots aren't as good but he's better defensively and doesn't take as long to get in. Has a better championship record too, with three hundreds to Broad's none.

Number 11

State 12th Man
It really depends on the situation. If you want to score runs fast then Swann's your resident slogger.

Broad is more of a genuine bat, nice shots etc.He can get bogged downwhen first in and doesn't really have a safe defence and has a few mi****s.

Bresnan is the perfect fit at No.8 IMO. He is a balance between those two and arguably the best bat among them. Has a solid defence, can score from the first ball and counter attack well. FC record to C'd.

That tail is pretty unstoppable but Tremlett and Anderson are musts ATM so one will miss out.

Number 11

State 12th Man
Tremlett probably won't play, hence the discussion.
I was talking about regularly playing with that that tail, not just this match. It would slightly weaken their attack but a strong tail adds more than just more decent batsman to the team, it serverley reduces the lilkleyhood of being ran through by a single bowler. Which accounts for many losses.

Personally I think that Finn would be a better fit for this match, he is a similar bowler to Tremlett. They both hit the deck and bounce it in.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Darn, but if Tremmers aint fit then bring in Timmy. The swinging ground will suit him and it adds even more depth to a strong batting line up.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think, especially with Broad in the team, that Finn's height will be sufficiently useful to counteract the fact that Bresnan is the better bowler. If he bowls as many four-balls as he's done thus far in his career he will get mullered. Bresnan is a far better bet.

On the tail question, Broad and Swann are plenty as the last Test shows.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It really depends on the situation. If you want to score runs fast then Swann's your resident slogger.

Broad is more of a genuine bat, nice shots etc.He can get bogged downwhen first in and doesn't really have a safe defence and has a few mi****s.

Bresnan is the perfect fit at No.8 IMO. He is a balance between those two and arguably the best bat among them. Has a solid defence, can score from the first ball and counter attack well. FC record to C'd.

That tail is pretty unstoppable but Tremlett and Anderson are musts ATM so one will miss out.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he mi**** himself against the South Africans.

Number 11

State 12th Man
I don't think, especially with Broad in the team, that Finn's height will be sufficiently useful to counteract the fact that Bresnan is the better bowler. If he bowls as many four-balls as he's done thus far in his career he will get mullered. Bresnan is a far better bet.

Yes of course it is 'enough'. But if the situation were to arise that they could play all 3 without weakening their attack then it wouldn't be a big a loss.

I'm just saying this from looking at the Aussie attack latley. Variety is curcial and I just think that Finn adds an different type of bowler and is a wicket taker. Bresnan's batting cancels this out though, so it's very much a toss up.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

with tremlett gone, england don';t have any bang the pitch type bowlers in the line-up, so should pick finn.
(broad's stopped doing that so his height doesn't really make that much of a difference).

Spark

Global Moderator
with tremlett gone, england don';t have any bang the pitch type bowlers in the line-up, so should pick finn.
(broad's stopped doing that so his height doesn't really make that much of a difference).
Why on earth would you need a bang-it-in-the-pitch bowler in England and especially at Trent Bridge?

And if required, all three have quality bouncers - Broad's, if used correctly, is particularly vicious. Michael Clarke to confirm.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Why on earth would you need a bang-it-in-the-pitch bowler in England and especially at Trent Bridge?

And if required, all three have quality bouncers - Broad's, if used correctly, is particularly vicious. Michael Clarke to confirm.
it's easier to play swing than seam. plus as i said india really struggled against unfit tremlett, so finn's teh best replacement for him.

I honestly don't think bresnan will do well. If anderson and broad can't dismiss batsmen with their high class swing bowling, certaintly bresnan won't be able to either.

variety is key.

Spark

Global Moderator
it's easier to play swing than seam. plus as i said india really struggled against unfit tremlett, so finn's teh best replacement for him.

I honestly don't think bresnan will do well. If anderson and broad can't dismiss batsmen with their high class swing bowling, certaintly bresnan won't be able to either.

variety is key.
It is indeed easier to play swing than seam but I'm pretty sure they call all seam it.

I disagree that variety is necessarily the key. Pressure and quality are the key. Again, variety is useful but Bresnan is sufficiently superior that it doesn't really matter. Assuming Broad bowls to a standard equal or even slightly less than what he did earlier on this week, England have three bowlers who are all genuine wicket takers, so a pressure cooker bowler like Bresnan is a decent option.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It is indeed easier to play swing than seam but I'm pretty sure they call all seam it.

I disagree that variety is necessarily the key. Pressure and quality are the key. Again, variety is useful but Bresnan is sufficiently superior that it doesn't really matter. Assuming Broad bowls to a standard equal or even slightly less than what he did earlier on this week, England have three bowlers who are all genuine wicket takers, so a pressure cooker bowler like Bresnan is a decent option.
not only seam movement, they get bounce too!!

finn avgs in the 20s and every now and then he produces wicket taking balls... you only need 1 ball to dismiss a batsman..

Number 11

State 12th Man

Decent point TBH. A restricting bowler such as Bresnan would be useful to allow the others to take wickets. I wouldn't call them wicket taking bowlers though. They bowl fairly consistently. It's more people like Finn and Johnson that serve **** and then find a ripper spell/ball.