• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Reports in the papers this morning suggest that both Harris and Bollinger have been drafted, at the expense of Hilfenhaus and Johnson. Prudent changes if you ask me. Australia is hardly in crisis in this Series, indeed we had a massive first innings lead in Brisbane (the real business end of the game). But nonetheless in such a condensed series, it's important to address weaknesses as and when they arise.
It's a big decision if they do it, amazing stuff. When was the last time in the Ashes two bowlers were dropped after the first test, I wonder?

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I read somewhere last night apparently Johnson has an argument with selectors and wouldn't bowl in the nets at a practice session? Wonder if that's true if he will be selected in the short term future?
Good move bringing in Harris and Bollinger if they've done that.

I agree Finn's record atm is very flattering for how he's bowled (i've watched him in the english summer against Bangladesh and Pakistan aswell) but to go as far as saying he doesn't deserve his place and isn't a test standard bowler is pretty stupid. He is a good bowler and has backed it up in county cricket and his average will probably go up abit in the next year but he still is a good talent and will develop well.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a stretch. The fact that he took 4/6 with bouncers suggests there was something about them. Pace and bounce will always disconcert tailenders.

I have some sympathy with Selvey's suggestion of a "horses for courses" pick of Shahzad for Adelaide where Finn is less likely to get bounce off the surface, but Finn actually bowled well.
Yeah as always Selvey made a lot of sense but I would be a little bit hesitant about actually playing Shazhad given his total lack of experience, could very easily go the wrong way if he started badly. Adelaide would certainly be the test that it would make most sense to play 5 bowlers but is still not an option I would take and neither will Flower and Strauss.

Think we can be pretty sure that it will be the same team again and there can be little reason for it not to be.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yeah as always Selvey made a lot of sense but I would be a little bit hesitant about actually playing Shazhad given his total lack of experience, could very easily go the wrong way if he started badly. Adelaide would certainly be the test that it would make most sense to play 5 bowlers but is still not an option I would take and neither will Flower and Strauss.

Think we can be pretty sure that it will be the same team again and there can be little reason for it not to be.
If Selvey is basing Shahzad off that one test in the summer and the First innings of the Australia A game, he shouldn't. in the 4 or 5 times I've watched Shahzad play for Yorkshire this year, the big thing that stuck out, is his inconsistency, he can bowl well for a session and then completely lose it for the rest of the game.it's true he does offer something a bit different, but to be honest, it would be huge gamble, to count on him being able to produce it in what would be his second test match.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Having seen him at Old Trafford, I wouldn't be wanting him near the team, certainly as part of a 4 man attack - woeful early on, then came back when the collapse was in full swing and cashed in.

Also, his batting made his first class average appear hugely overstated.

That said, he's not in the squad anyway is he?

Sylvester

State Captain
Reports in the papers this morning suggest that both Harris and Bollinger have been drafted, at the expense of Hilfenhaus and Johnson. Prudent changes if you ask me. Australia is hardly in crisis in this Series, indeed we had a massive first innings lead in Brisbane (the real business end of the game). But nonetheless in such a condensed series, it's important to address weaknesses as and when they arise.
Happy enough with that, Hilfy hasn't been at his best in terms of wicket taking and that is what we are missing. Harris and Bollinger are both wicket takers and relatively economical. At least the selectors are starting to make some changes, still no idea how North makes the side.

TumTum

Banned
Can't choose between Harris and Bollinger. At their best I would take Bolly, but sometimes he can be a bit like Johnson.

Ruckus

International Captain
Really hope Harris plays, and not just Bollinger. Don't see what benefits Hilf will provide on a flat, hot Adelaide pitch. Harris is arguably better than Bollinger when he is in his current form anyway.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Writing was on the wall for Mitch, but how can they drop Siddle after the guy gets a 6fer and a hat trick? He was the only bowler that really ripped through the English. Baffling.

Ruckus

International Captain
Writing was on the wall for Mitch, but how can they drop Siddle after the guy gets a 6fer and a hat trick? He was the only bowler that really ripped through the English. Baffling.
Siddle hasn't been dropped, Johnson has? Hilf is still uncertain.