• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah but the 3rd place match doesn't count as a real game, does it? It's like that last day of school where you just play quizzes and board games

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Social Jnr has been watching 7s and has decided that it's the sport he wants to play next as "everyone gets the ball and you get to bash people."

Might not be as catchy or pc as "the game they play in heaven" but if his mates are anything to go by, that's precisely what attracts many boys his age to sport

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but the 3rd place match doesn't count as a real game, does it? It's like that last day of school where you just play quizzes and board games
All AB vs Springboks matches mean a lot. More important to most NZers than the Bledisloe Cup and beating the Lions

Francis

State Vice-Captain
The Greatest Team Produced by a Major IRB Country (by year)

*** *******ers have always remembered the great sides that paved the way for the *** ****** to become the force they are - the 1905 Origins and the 1924 Invincibles, for example. Recently there's been a good book written about the 1967 *** ******* side. But the side that went undefeated from 1987 until late 1990 is number one.

The 1988 side was as powerful in the forwards as almost any *** ****** side, but they were so much more in the backs - Fox directing things, Schuster compensating for Fox standing deep with hard straight running, Joe Stanley with his magical touch and using the width of the field, the power of Kirwan, and the most underrated fullback in rugby history - John Gallgher! What a loss he was when he went to league!

The only problem with the 1988 side is that they played a famous draw against the Wallabies. But I think their dominance either side of that second Test exceeded their dominance in the sole Bledisloe Cup Tests of 1987 and 1989.

Other sides include the 1995-97 side, the 2005-07 side, the 2010 side, and the 2014-present side. The 1995-97 side choked at the World Cup. To this day I still can't get over how terrible Jeff Wilson was in that final. I rated him so highly, too. The 2005-07 choked at the World Cup when they didn't go for a drop-goal. The 2010 didn't sustain their brilliance, and won the World Cup in 2011 playing worse than they did in 2010. The current side is okay, I guess... but they need to be tested against England.

Australia - 1992
There were different permutations in 1992. Willie O and Tim Gavin were injured for the 1992 Bledisloe Cup, and Troy Coker and Sam Scott-Young filled the void. But for me, the best side was the one that flogged South Africa 26-3, which contained:

1. Tony Daly
2. Phil Kearns
3. Ewen McKenzie
4. Rod McCall
5.John Eales
6. Willie O
7. David Wilson
8. Tim Gavin
9. Nick Farr-Jones
10. Michael Lynagh
11. David Campese
12. Tim Horan
13. Jason Little
14. Rob Egerton
15.Marty Roebuck

The 1992 Bledisloe Cup is the greatest rugby series of all time, and this side won that series, against a powerful *** ******* side. The only minor criticism of this side is that they dropped off a bit on their UK tour, dropping provincial games to Swansea, Llanelli and Munster. But they won all their Tests that year, except for the last Bledisloe Cup test.

The 1984 Grand Slam Wallabies come close. The 1999 World Cup team is close, but they didn't win the Tri Nations that year.

South Africa - 1937
The first side ever to defeat *** *******. Danie Craven and Bennie Osler were the halves. This side is touted as the greatest side ever toleave NZ, including the 1971 Lions.

The British and Irish Lions - 1974
Forwards are more important than backs, which is why the '74 Lions were better than the '71 version.

England - 2002
Didn't get the Grand Slam this year in 2002. By the 2003 World Cup, the England side was aging and showing signs of falling apart. They showed what a champion side they were against France and in the second half against Wales.

France - 1987
This French side won the Five Nations, got the Grand Slam, and then beat Australia in the World Cup in one of the best matches ever... EVER! Eric Champ and Pierre Berbizier are here and in form. But it's the tight five of Dubroca, Ondarts, Garuet, Lorieux and Condom, that really made this a powerful side. Laurent Rodriguez wasn't bad either.

Scotland - 1984
They lost to the 1984 Grand Slam Wallabies, but this side edges out the 1990 version. The 1983 Lions tour was a disappointment because politics prevented great Scottish players from playing - no Deans, Milne, Leslie, Laidlaw or Rutherford. But in 1984 they tore up the Five Nations.

Wales - 1953
Forget Edwards, John, Bennett, Williams, Davies, etc. The 1950s were a golden era too. This was the last year that Wales beat *** *******. We have Cliff Morgan and the ever-creative centre combination of Dr Jack Matthews and Bleddyn Williams, AND Ken Jones! KEN JONES everybody! What a great side.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Is that a joke about Jeff "could've been as good as Stokes at cricket" Wilson? The bloke was, to put it mildly, 'spewing his ring out' in the final. He was (one of) the most affected by food poisoning.

Also I'd put the 1994 French ahead of the 87 side. That team should've been facing Jeff Wilson and co in the 95 final, but then there wouldn't have been a gold watch for DB

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Is that a joke about Jeff "could've been as good as Stokes at cricket" Wilson? The bloke was, to put it mildly, 'spewing his ring out' in the final. He was (one of) the most affected by food poisoning.

Also I'd put the 1994 French ahead of the 87 side. That team should've been facing Jeff Wilson and co in the 95 final, but then there wouldn't have been a gold watch for DB
Oops I meant to say Andrew Mehrtens. His kicking game left him at important moments. He missed an extremely gettable drop-goal that could have won it for *** *******.

Um... You know that story about Louis Luyt giving Derek Bevan a gold watch is a myth, right? It never happened...

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Because I'm bored... The 10 Greatest Springboks of All-Time

1. Frik du Preez

An astonishing athlete. He bounced off no less than six Lions during one run in the 1962 Lions, and in the 1968 Lions series he took the ball at two in the line-out, spun down the blindside, out-ran Gareth Edwards, and powered over for a try. Simply put: Frik du Preez is the greatest rugby player of all time.

2. Danie Gerber

Danie Gerber... I sincerely think Gerber would be the greatest rugby player of all-time, if he had more opportunities. He's the complete footballer and in my all-time XV.

3. Hennie Muller

He's the star player in a series where South Africa beat *** ******* 4-0. What's more impressive is that many of the refereeing decisions apparently went against South Africa in that series.

4. Chris Koch

A prop with ball skills. He showed his wares against the NZ Maori in 1956 with the ball skills, in which could be described as the happiest Test of rugby in the whole of history. Just a wonderful spirit in that game.

5. John Gainford

A gigantic huge stepper. The South Africans have their own model of what a centre should be, and Gainsford fits the bill.

6. Joost van der Westhuisen

R.I.P.

7. Danie Craven

He's like a super Brian Lochore. He played for, captained, coached, and managed the Springboks, and he was an integral member of their '37 side.

8. Okey Giffen

He was the world's most powerful front-row forward, but also a goal-kicker.

9. Mannetjies Roux

I honestly believe that after Didier Codorniou, Mannetjies Roux is the most underrated rugby player of all time. He broke Richard Sharp's jaw in 1962 - the England five-eighth sensation that was lost to rugby league. He scored two marvellous tries against the Lions, one in '62 and the other in '68.

10.. Naas Botha

It's horrible listing Naas here. He couldn't tackle and he favoured a kicking game over unleashing his awesome lethal outside backs, depriving them of opportunities. But in his own day, heplayed winning rugby. He was on another level above Grant Fox on the Cavaliers tour.

ripper868

International Coach
Key difference being you state New Zealand, and have provided a link to a well written article on an external website.

I'd find Francis' "top ten best sheep breeds to have been near a rugby ball of the late 70's" styled posts far more tolerable if they were posted as a link to his own website instead of being 2-6 post space should long on each page.

Fair comments re Argentina, a team no one enjoys playing against, especially if they find the fluidity they had vs Ireland at RWC15

Howe_zat

Audio File
oddschecker completely refusing to accept that Leinster are getting beaten by Scarlets in the semi final. 21-10 down with 20 minutes to go.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Great performance by the team. How can I best convince the wife that we go out for a late dinner next Saturday now?

Howe_zat

Audio File
So with Leinster and Saracens losing, and Munster v Ospreys happening later tonight, Warren Gatland is probably going to pick a Lions team only with losing semi finalists.