• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
So I'm watching some more U20s and an interesting thing happened

Georgia are playing Argentina. They're 10 points behind in the second half, but they've had some momentum and are on top. Their scrum is destroying Argentina's. They've just had a scrum on half way that they got a penalty from because they just walked straight through and the Argentina scrum fell to bits.

So they get a penalty at the breakdown about 8m out, under the posts. They could ask for the scrum, but they know Argentina are just going to fall to bits rather than let themselves be pushed over. So the maximum they can get is a penalty, which they already have. They're not going for 3 points because they want a try from this. So Georgia aim for the corner from the posts, and the bloke misses touch.

It seems not right the scrum isn't a valid try scoring option even when your forwards have the wood over the opposition. But it isn't any more.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with scrums is it is so easy to give away a penalty even when dominating.... sometimes it just becomes a 50/50 call from the ref. Line out tends to be secure, if you kick into touch!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I watched the Junior Boks last night.... does not give me hope for the future from what I saw of the English and NZ games, who where far superior.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Newlook_Bok_team_for_France

Better looking team than last year, maybe some progress made. See how they actually play. Worry for me is that the players are very Lions centric which is great from a play style but maybe not our best players? Would be great if all the players were playing the same open style rugby.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anyone watching England v Argentina?

Bloody raw England side. At least 20 players missing
Yeah, I will be. Beeb suggesting 30 players missing because of injury and Lions' duty.

Fascinated to see how Curry goes. Youngest English debutant since Jonny and youngest starter for 90 years.

Highlights of Scotland/Italy worth watching too. Russell gave a bit of a masterclass. Gorgeous chip for Visser's try and a Sonny Billesque behind the back offload for Ford's second.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"Leg-who-iz-a-mon experienced in the back row"

I'm sure he's adding at least one too many syllables.

Argie scrum utterly monstered us there. Worrying.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mixed passage of play for the debutants there. Great turnover from Curry (an actual openside; yay!!) but a telegraphed pass from Williams.