• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a Rugby devotee, but isn't it a problem to complete the draw before all the qualifiers have been confirmed? What's the incentive to be Americas 1 over Americas 2?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah you have a point. With the Americas thing they have to go through more playoffs if they lose, so it's safer to win the direct qualifier, but another example would be Samoa/Tonga who would much rather go through the playoffs and get into pool A than win the second direct spot and go to pool C.

The official reason for doing the draw so far out is to help sell tickets, but I think they're missing the chance to use the draw 6-12 months out to be a big marketing launch for the tournament. This way it's unwelcoming and confusing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought John Leslie and Brendan Laney were the best crop of Scottish backs
Glenn Metcalfe and Shaun Longstaff went ok too.

TBF Laney was never half the player for Scotland that he was for Otago, but Leslie was borderline world class for a brief spell around the turn of the millennium.

Maitland, Hardie, Hamish Watson and Blair Cowan keeping the tradition alive currently too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Glenn Metcalfe and Shaun Longstaff went ok too.

TBF Laney was never half the player for Scotland that he was for Otago, but Leslie was borderline world class for a brief spell around the turn of the millennium.

Maitland, Hardie, Hamish Watson and Blair Cowan keeping the tradition alive currently too.
Man was Blair Cowan one of the most overrated 6N players ever. I wonder if there's something to be said about how European rugby sees itself when a lightweight penalty machine like that gets straight into the Scottish team just because 'he's a real SH style seven'.

Not sure Hamish Watson has ever been to NZ btw.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
The three greatest Lions sides of all-time

1. Ian McLaughlin
2. Bryn Meredith
3. Fran Cotton
4. Martin Johnson
5. Willie John MacBride
6. Richard Hill
7. Peter Winterbottom
8. Mervyn Davies
9. Gareth Edwards
10. Cliff Morgan
11. Tony O'Reilly
12. Mike Gibson
13. Jeff Butterfield
14. Gerald Davies
15. J.P.R. Williams

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Keith Wood
3. Graham Price
4. Gordon Brown
5. Rhys Williams
6. Roger Uttley
7. Fergus Slattery
8. Scott Quinell
9. Dickie Jeeps
10. Barry John
11. David Duckham
12. Dr Jack Matthew
13. Bleddyn Williams
14. Peter Jackson
15. Tom Keirnan

1. Tom Smith
2. Peter Wheeler
3. David Sole
4. Paul Ackford
5. Bill Beaumont
6. Ivor Jones
7. John Taylor
8. Dean Richards
9. Rob Howley (yes, he didn't play a lot, but he totally outplayed Gregan in the 1st 2001 Test)
10. Jackie Kyle
11. Ken Jones
12. Scott Gibbs
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Jason Robinson
15. Gavin Hastings

Mike Teague and Jeremy Guscott are so ridiculously unlucky!

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nine teams confirmed for Major League Rugby 2018 - Americas Rugby News

Salt Lake City UT: Beginning in 2018, Major League Rugby (MLR) will launch as a new professional rugby competition in North America. MLR will be the premier rugby competition in the United States. By drawing on the best domestic talent MLR will create an intense, fast paced competition and a top-tier media product. MLR will introduce rugby to the American sports mainstream, provide a focal point for millions of existing fans and bring even more new supporters to the game.

MLR will launch with members in: Glendale, CO; Kansas City, MO; Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; Austin, TX; New Orleans, LA; Seattle, WA; Minneapolis, MN; and Salt Lake City, UT. MLR will announce a final team and venue list, player contract information, and 2018 schedule, in the coming months. Beyond 2018, MLR will expand to more cities with an emphasis on finding the right partners, markets and venues.
Honestly sounds pretty interesting. No idea if it'll stick, but my thought is that mismanagement/infighting is more likely to bring it down than the lack of a market.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Do we know why those cities in particular have been chosen?

The one thing that immediately jumps at me is the lack of a major market such as New York, Los Angeles, Boston or Chicago

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon there's a pretty good chance of it happening too. Most of the Sydney RL clubs either have their 2018 salary caps tied up or aren't in the market for a halfback. Even if he agrees to go to one of the clubs that need a half he'd probably need to sign for below market value and the NRL has precedent of shutting that stuff down. Might be a very similar situation to Folau.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon there's a pretty good chance of it happening too. Most of the Sydney RL clubs either have their 2018 salary caps tied up or aren't in the market for a halfback. Even if he agrees to go to one of the clubs that need a half he'd probably need to sign for below market value and the NRL has precedent of shutting that stuff down. Might be a very similar situation to Folau.
The Tigers, Eels and especially Dragons must be kicking themselves

If Ben Hunt is "worth" 1.2 m per year then Cronk is at least 2 m

Anyway, despite being an infinitely better footballer than virtually all of the Wallaby inside backs, he is 33 and has other options (media, Newcastle, other clubs making room, etc) plus he will cost more than a mill so long shot at best

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The Tigers, Eels and especially Dragons must be kicking themselves

If Ben Hunt is "worth" 1.2 m per year then Cronk is at least 2 m

Anyway, despite being an infinitely better footballer than virtually all of the Wallaby inside backs, he is 33 and has other options (media, Newcastle, other clubs making room, etc) plus he will cost more than a mill so long shot at best
Oh absolutely, but he announced it pretty late. Tigers taking Reynolds after Cronk had announced was weird but the Hunt and Moses deals were done prior as I understand. I doubt he'll go to Newcastle, he might as well stay in Melbourne/go to QLD (not to mention they're a basket case on/off the field). Sort of think we might be an outside chance but I'm not holding my breath. Souths could have some room. Doubt any of the RL options could offer the same money as Union though.

Don't know enough about Union to say how he'd go, but he's one of the most impressive people in Australian sport. Reckon the code would be crazy not to try get him and keep him within it's fold.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh absolutely, but he announced it pretty late. Tigers taking Reynolds after Cronk had announced was weird but the Hunt and Moses deals were done prior as I understand. I doubt he'll go to Newcastle, he might as well stay in Melbourne/go to QLD (not to mention they're a basket case on/off the field). Sort of think we might be an outside chance but I'm not holding my breath. Souths could have some room. Doubt any of the RL options could offer the same money as Union though.

Don't know enough about Union to say how he'd go, but he's one of the most impressive people in Australian sport. Reckon the code would be crazy not to try get him and keep him within it's fold.
As I understand it, the Waratahs will need financial assistance from the ARU if they are to offer him more than 600k per year

If that happens, then you'd have to assume that he'd be a lock for the Wallabies squad

Tbh, I'd be surprised if he doesnt retire

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That Lions team will be tough to beat in Joburg if they qualify top as they should. Crusaders vs Hurricanes should be a decent game tonight.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Our Quaggas is a university professor so I doubt it's the same chap, I just learned that it's an actual first name and was impressed