• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
World cup draw on Wednesday. Who'd you rather get/not get?

Band 1: NZ, England, Australia, Ireland
Band 2: Scotland, South Africa, France, Wales
Band 3: Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Italy
Band 4: Fiji, Samoa, Romania, USA (probably)
Band 5: Tonga, Canada, Namibia, Uruguay/Spain/Russia (probably)
You could probably put Argentina into band 2. I`m not sure how good SA are going to be... we are an absolute mess at the moment so possibly band 3 unless we really pull our socks up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
World cup draw on Wednesday. Who'd you rather get/not get?

Band 1: NZ, England, Australia, Ireland
Band 2: Scotland, South Africa, France, Wales
Band 3: Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Italy
Band 4: Fiji, Samoa, Romania, USA (probably)
Band 5: Tonga, Canada, Namibia, Uruguay/Spain/Russia (probably)
At this moment in time I would take Ireland on the logic that they're beatable, and New Zealand on the logic that getting them in the group stage means avoiding them in the quarters and opening up a possible shot at the semis.

Would want to avoid Japan at all costs because of the home advantage thing.

It can't be just me who thinks doing the draw 2 years out is stupid though?

Howe_zat

Audio File
The dream:
Scotland
Georgia
Romania
Uruguay

The nightmare:
France
Argentina
Samoa
Tonga
Yeah mostly agree. I reckon USA would be a less physical game than Romania and as such be a bit easier.

I'd rather draw France than South Africa. They may be in a rut now but they'll swing up, SA have been one of the strongest sides there is for 95% of rugby's history. Also France have a pretty poor record in the group stage.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It can't be just me who thinks doing the draw 2 years out is stupid though?
No, but it used to be even worse, the 2015 draw was made nearly 3 years out. So people remarking it's stupid has at least got us this far.

What's annoying is that it's supposed to be to help sell tickets, but doing the draw 6 months out from the tournament like the football world cup does would be a huge marketing oppertunity. Thi wy they're drawing at a time when no one cares, and they're drawing qualifying positions rather than teams.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Am I alone in thinking there are too many Taffs in this British & Irish Lions squad? I feel like this is turning into the 1983 Lions.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Pool A
Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Europe 1, Play-off winner

Pool B
New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Africa 1, Repechage winner

Pool C
England, France, Argentina, Americas 1, Oceania 2

Pool D
Australia, Wales, Georgia, Oceania 1, Americas 2

I think Eng got into the tough pool. Could very well be USA as Americas 1.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Pool A

Pool B

Pool C

Pool D

Pool C is definitely the toughest pool. Although given the result of the last match against Italy, I'm not so sure about South Africa's chances...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeesh. France & Argentina are very much worse case scenarios. "Oceania 2" is likely to be Fiji too, isn't it?

One notes the hosts got the weakest teams from Pots 1 & 2 as well...

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Pool A

Pool B

Pool C

Pool D

And Samoa as Oceania 2

Howe_zat

Audio File
Argentina's group was always going to be the tough group whoever got it. They have a tradition of not really bothering with November tours and then performing out of their skins at the world cup.

Rather have France than SA or even Wales though. Frogs have rather lost their legs in the last 5 or so years,

Fiji more likely to be Oceania 1 given they are well ahead in the Pacific Nations Cup (they're using the 2016 and 2017 results). So England will probably be drawn against Samoa. I'm pretty okay with that, though I fear they might choose to 'rest' some top players for that game, which could lead to trouble.

Oceania 2 should not have been a band 5 team, least of all below Africa 1, which has led to pool B having the two weakest teams in the comp. Namibia and Russia/Spain/Uruguay will be the only genuine pushovers. South Africa should be pleased, only have to concentrate on beating Italy and know they won't face NZ in the quarters.

Still, the real winners are the Japanese.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rather have France than SA or even Wales though. Frogs have rather lost their legs in the last 5 or so years,
SA look to have both systemic and cattle issues just now. Even leaving aside the shytehouse union, they current crop doesn't look a classic one.

They'll come good again, no doubt, but it'll take a change of coach at the very least and, well, he's from a formerly disadvantaged background so it might not be before the WC.

I reckon Johnny Frog is (finally) showing the green shoots of recovery though. Best front three in Europe, Piccamoles is a ball carrying/tackling machine, Serin and Fickou are genuine talents, and they have plenty of pace out wide, even if it's less Parisienne than Pacific Islander.

I'd fair rather face an ageing Leekist team than a hungry (if stereoypically mercurial) French myself.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeesh. France & Argentina are very much worse case scenarios. "Oceania 2" is likely to be Fiji too, isn't it?

One notes the hosts got the weakest teams from Pots 1 & 2 as well...
In terms of ranking we're the strongest pot 2 team currently...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yer Sweaties are improving, yeah. Especially in the backs.

Mildly unfortunate that the best crop of Scots backs since Townsend, Tait and the Hastings boys were playing are behind such an atypically powder puff scrum though. Could always rely on a little grunt from Scotland even in the dark days.

Think I heard or read somewhere this is the first Lions tour since 1908 without a Scottish forward. Broon frae Troon quietly turning in his grave.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yer Sweaties are improving, yeah. Especially in the backs.

Mildly unfortunate that the best crop of Scots backs since Townsend, Tait and the Hastings boys were playing are behind such an atypically powder puff scrum though. Could always rely on a little grunt from Scotland even in the dark days.

Think I heard or read somewhere this is the first Lions tour since 1908 without a Scottish forward. Broon frae Troon quietly turning in his grave.
I thought John Leslie and Brendan Laney were the best crop of Scottish backs