• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Big game for Luatua this weekend. I get the feeling he's not going to have the physicality to match the Boks pack just yet. Vito has come a long way and it's unfortunate for him that he's injured.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dire options. Butchered two tries.

The comms using the American pronunciation of "Bernard" irritates me no end too. It's "burr-ned" not "ber-nard".

dermo

International Vice-Captain
he's not that good, may be in a few years but not now

didnt even make the nsw 20s team this year

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't watched the game but it sounds like Luatua did not step up and handle the Boks physicality. Disappointing, but he is still a young guy.

I think I'd go for Kaino as the obvious first choice, and Vito as the backup at the world cup. Messam just doesn't impress me and playing both Cane and McCaw is lunacy, they're both categorically opensides.

It's really unfortunate that Vito is injured because he seemed to have really improved this year.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't watched the game but it sounds like Luatua did not step up and handle the Boks physicality. Disappointing, but he is still a young guy.

I think I'd go for Kaino as the obvious first choice, and Vito as the backup at the world cup. Messam just doesn't impress me and playing both Cane and McCaw is lunacy, they're both categorically opensides.

It's really unfortunate that Vito is injured because he seemed to have really improved this year.
Some peeps on the Interweb are saying Ritchie doesn't play like a 7 anymore and may be best suited to 6. He has stopped foraging for TOs but looks more for tackles and clean outs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Some peeps on the Interweb are saying Ritchie doesn't play like a 7 anymore and may be best suited to 6. He has stopped foraging for TOs but looks more for tackles and clean outs.
They're wrong. He's not getting as many turnovers because he's not as fast as he used to be. It's also the fact that the new rules with having to release the tackled player mean it's harder for any 7 to get as many turnovers as they did in the mid 2000s.

He does a reasonable impression of a 6 and even an 8 but he's without doubt still an open side. I understand the desire to get Cane into the team because he's a quality player, but he'll get his chance.

I don't mind playing McCaw or Cane at 6 for the next game because of the injury crisis but it's not a long term option and I think we're better off sticking to Luatua to give him a bit of confidence.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't want to take too much away from the Pumas but the Wallabies are an undisciplined, unskilled rabble that have no leadership and are tactically inept

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
they said Hooper's yellow card was questionable - but I felt he wasn't competing for the ball so why did he leap in the first place.

social

they said Hooper's yellow card was questionable - but I felt he wasn't competing for the ball so why did he leap in the first place.
Phipps' yellow was marginal but if you are unsure and on your last warning then don't take the risk

dermo

International Vice-Captain
theres plenty of room to improve sure but on the bright side we've drawn with the all blacks and shouldve beaten south africa in south africa.

the rugby championship is the toughest rugby competition in the world and it's showing, give us back quade cooper, stephen moore and henry speight and maybe things look a bit different

we've also got james o'connor returning from europe, david pocock coming back from injury and karmichael hunt who could be anything

there's still a fair bit of rugby between now and the world cup so lets not give up just yet

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
II thought Australia failed to establish dominance up front and then suffered from there.
Where does Australia go from here:

1) Australia can arguably put out the best backline in the world if they make the right selections (Beale at 12) Play to that strength. Become the best running rugby team in the world.
2) Hoopah if he is going to play simply needs to step it up at the breakdown, I don't care what he offers in the open or on defence, he needs to do his core job better. At this point I might be tempted to bring back Pocock even though Hoopah is captain.
3) Go to the Rugby League ranks and get some players who can bolster your forwards. You need some bulk up there and preferrably a world class athlete.

Look it isn't doom and gloom for Australia or time to push the panic button either. If you are going to get that many yellow cards you are going to lose to just about anyone who is half way decent. Argentina have drawn games against SA and were always going to win a game sooner or later. Steve Hansen - "They are going to win soon just hope it isn't against us"

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
theres plenty of room to improve sure but on the bright side we've drawn with the all blacks and shouldve beaten south africa in south africa.

the rugby championship is the toughest rugby competition in the world and it's showing, give us back quade cooper, stephen moore and henry speight and maybe things look a bit different

we've also got james o'connor returning from europe, david pocock coming back from injury and karmichael hunt who could be anything

there's still a fair bit of rugby between now and the world cup so lets not give up just yet
AWTA with 99% of this - I am not a Cooper fan but AWTA massively about Stephen Moore. He is a huge loss. Henry Speight will be massive for you once you get him. Half of the AB back line moves revolve around shovelling it through to Savea and I reckon you will do the same with Speight after a while.

I also wouldn't pick O'Connor for any position. He is a Jack of all trades and master of none.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
3) Go to the Rugby League ranks and get some players who can bolster your forwards. You need some bulk up there and preferrably a world class athlete.
Like who? Such a different sort of game where the big skillful league forwards end up being centres in Union anyway.

social

Nah, I've been hearing the world's best backline thing forever

Trouble is that the Wallabies have no structure or discipline

What's more, we rarely create a solid platform from which the backs can launch an attack (e.g. scrum has been serviceable at best for a decade or more and ****e for a lot of that time) and the vast majority of players lack a mastery of the basics

We are flat out ordinary and a couple of extra backs wont change that

social

Like who? Such a different sort of game where the big skillful league forwards end up being centres in Union anyway.
Agreed

No leaguie is going to switch to a game in order to play in the tight 5 as it would be totally foreign to them and boring as **** anyway