• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ross Taylor's last series memorial thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ugly forecast for Friday's T20I, but better for Tuesday's first ODI. They should actually head to Tauranga early. 27° and fine for there on Friday.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
After seeing the dutch play the NZ XI I won't be rushing to watch the games. I suppose will watch the first one and see how it goes. No disrespect to Netherlands but they seem real short of good talent on this tour.

vandem

International 12th Man
Vikramjit Singh and Fred Klaassen stood out for me. Add some efficient hitting from Bas de Leede, and some all-round contributions from van Beek and Rippon, and these are games that I would enjoy watching.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ugly forecast for Friday's T20I, but better for Tuesday's first ODI. They should actually head to Tauranga early. 27° and fine for there on Friday.
It really seems like McLean Park is cursed when it comes to international cricket.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After seeing the dutch play the NZ XI I won't be rushing to watch the games. I suppose will watch the first one and see how it goes. No disrespect to Netherlands but they seem real short of good talent on this tour.
I'm really keen to go up to Seddon Park for the double-header, but then I enjoy watching and following Associate cricket, so perhaps I'm an outlier! Probably won't make it up to Hamilton now, but I'm still pretty keen to watch the matches... but sparksport.

Meridio

International Regular
What the actual **** is this TV intro on TV1? Cringing so hard.

Hope we get a game in. Always sucks when you finally get a game on free to air TV and it rains.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It was planned to be a 'hey boys take a back seat and give it up for the girls' cricket season, this one tbh.

Unfortunately NZC stuck to the cultural revolution playbook and badly disregarded the importance of recruiting at least two Irene van Dyk towers of power back in about 2016/17, to help undergird the whole thing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Unfortunately NZC stuck to the cultural revolution playbook and badly disregarded the importance of recruiting at least two Irene van Dyk towers of power back in about 2016/17, to help undergird the whole thing.
Are you talking the women's team here? Where would they have recruited anyone of that quality from? The only teams with players better than Bates, Devine, A Kerr and Satterthwaite is Australia. NZ Women's problem is that most of the other players in the line up just aren't even in Johann Myburgh tier. The depth isn't there.

The other problem as I understand it is how cliquey women's club cricket is here. Two people I know who've played tier 1 cricket overseas come here and get to bat 11 for their club and not bowl so they've got no chance of advancing and give up the game within 2 seasons. The examples of men's cricketers who've moved from South Africa, they've all had to go through club cricket before getting the chance for their province (Elliott, Conway, Wagner, Nofal, Muller etc. etc.) If this is a path that NZ Women want to take, then I think you need to look at pathways and club cricket before you bring over players who quickly become disillusioned.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Are you talking the women's team here? Where would they have recruited anyone of that quality from? The only teams with players better than Bates, Devine, A Kerr and Satterthwaite is Australia.
I don't know what this has to do with the Dutch tour, but that isn't true. SA, England, and India have players better than those 4. Imagine if we'd had Marizanne Kapp at 6 and bowling 10 overs - would be safely in the semis by now.

HeathDavisSpeed

I don't know what this has to do with the Dutch tour, but that isn't true. SA, England, and India have players better than those 4. Imagine if we'd had Marizanne Kapp at 6 and bowling 10 overs - would be safely in the semis by now.
I meant with players consistently better than those 4. And why would players from those countries want to come here? In the men’s game, NZ has picked up players whose careers were stifled in RSA. I can’t imagine that any player of Kapp’s quality would have the same issue. I don’t think the situation is comparable.
Edit: but you’re right, this isn’t the right thread at all!

Last edited:

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Tbh I'm not sure why we even both scheduling international cricket in Napier anymore. Can't remember a game that actually was completed in recent years? Maybe a T20 vs Bangers a few years ago?