• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ross Taylor's last series memorial thread

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Cricket Wellington's post suggests Macewell was called up for a previous tour but turned it down due to the birth of his first child

vandem

International 12th Man
Cricket Wellington's post suggests Macewell was called up for a previous tour but turned it down due to the birth of his first child
Yes, Michael Bracewell missed trip for Bangladesh T20Is and Pakistan ODIs (which were cancelled). This was the tour where the entire World T20I squad were "rested" or were playing IPL. Bracewell selection was mentioned in NZC release at the time, note as an " all-rounder", big hint that NZ selectors were interested in his bowling. Not mentioned was who replaced Bracewell, perhaps McConchie?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes Macewell then outscored everyone by 100+ runs in the Super Smash (478 runs, Cleaver 369, Bowes 333). Just a pity that comp has become too unreliable in identification of future stars to get anyone really enthused about a 31yo like him being poised for debut.

Feels a bit like they've abruptly had a nasty dawning that Ravindra is a bit short in pure hand-eye for what they need, after happily going along with lots of syrupy content for years about having a new Williamson in the works.

nzfan

I think Ravindra will thank the management in the years to come. Would have been a disaster for a young player that isn't one to slog to slot into middle order and change his game drastically. IMO the best thing to happen to him for his own good and growth. Best to keep him off the t20s in particular. Glad they didn't pick him and he can play the rest of the PS season. Guys need consistent game time when they're young and t20s and one day if batting lower in the order doesn't allow that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This needs to stop
No it does not.

Discouraging players from playing for their associate nations out of fear they'll be prevented from playing for the full member nations they're trying to qualify for (and in most cases even be prevented from playing in their domestic leagues as local players) will weaken rather than strengthen the depth of international cricket.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
No it does not.

Discouraging players from playing for their associate nations out of fear they'll be prevented from playing for the full member nations they're trying to qualify for (and in most cases even be prevented from playing in their domestic leagues as local players) will weaken rather than strengthen the depth of international cricket.
Changing nationality is changing nationality, pure and simple. Allowing full members to cherry-pick the best Associate based talent based on the discrepancy in qualification times is a disincentive to the associate team.

cnerd123

likes this
Changing nationality is changing nationality, pure and simple. Allowing full members to cherry-pick the best Associate based talent based on the discrepancy in qualification times is a disincentive to the associate team.
Full Members are always going to do this tho. Associate cricketers can make a living playing domestix in Full Member countries, if they need to serve 3 years there to qualify for them they gladly will.

A good example is Anshuman Rath. Even though he holds an Indian passport, he has to play domestic cricket in India in order to qualify as a local in the IPL auction. So he quit playing for HK to play Ranji. If this was the rule for Associate cricketers to play International cricket for full members then they'll all leave and pick up professional contracts overseas. Look at all the South Africans who have gone off to play in NZ/England rather than stay and play for SA.

At least the current rule means they can turn out for Associates until they get picked by the Full Members. If anything it incentives talented cricketers from FMs to explore their roots and turn out for Associate teams until they can get noticed by their FM country. For example - Tim David.

Flem274*

123/5
Logan van Beek is a good example. NZ born, NZ developed, is a good solid 130-140kph FC bowling allrounder who will always play for his province but will never push ahead of his current NZ competition for the Black Caps and isn't even top 10 in the country.

The Dutch get a very, very good bowling allrounder for associate standards (he might be one of the best associate bowlers, but I don't know enough to say) without having to put any work into him.

Likewise with Michael Rippon, except he might play ODI cricket for NZ.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
England and West Indies aren't nations; cricket is sport - it's all made up.

Personally, I think it's odd that people would take issue with players changing countries in a short time frame, but not with overseas players, with little connection to an associate national side, ostensibly taking the place of a 'local' player simply because their one of their grandparents was originally from the Netherlands or other associate nation.

I have no problem with any of it if it ultimately strengthens the associate nation and inspires kids in that country to get into it.

vandem

International 12th Man
I also like the 3 year stand down for FM -> AM. Means that a Hamish Marshall-type World Cup eligibility issue shouldn't happen again. (Previously was 4 years, and seasonality means World Cups on a "4 year" cycle can sometimes be 3.5 years apart)

Immenso

I wonder if this game today is a ListA?

Seem to have 12th men (according to the scorecard) rather than 12-a-side.

cricket archive have it as 'misc' rather than ListA.

Just curious if this is Pringle, Boyle and Tashkoff's senior debuts or not.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
I wonder if this game today is a ListA?

Seem to have 12th mean (according to the scorecard) rather than 12-a-side.

cricket archive have it as 'misc' rather than ListA.

Just curious if this is Pringle, Boyle and Tashkoff's senior debuts or not.
I wondered that; it should be considered and played as one, but I assume it isn't given the lack of debutants being noted at the bottom of the scorecard.

Chewie

And then he bowls himself ahead of some of the other spinners in the team as is par for the course

Got a wicket though so can't really complain