• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ross Taylor's last series memorial thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In terms of significant innings in a significant game, his 74 against India in the 2019 WC semi has to be right up there. Held together a rickety batting lineup on a tricky pitch for just long enough to set a winning total. Was made all the sweeter by Howsie loudly chuntering about how he'd lost us the game after the end of the first day.
Yep, great shout. In Howsie's defense, I felt similarly if not a slightly watered down version of that.

Isn't it so telling, that in terms of his ODI knocks there's only a couple of his 21 tons I can distinctly remember for their quality, but if you're talking Test ones I can rattle off Manchester, 2012 Sri Lanka, 2008 debut ton v England at Hamilton, the 290, 150 v India in combo with Jesse in around 09, the huge series v Windies in 2013 etc.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, great shout. In Howsie's defense, I felt similarly if not a slightly watered down version of that.

Isn't it so telling, that in terms of his ODI knocks there's only a couple of his 21 tons I can distinctly remember for their quality, but if you're talking Test ones I can rattle off Manchester, 2012 Sri Lanka, 2008 debut ton v England at Hamilton, the 290, 150 v India in combo with Jesse in around 09, the huge series v Windies in 2013 etc.
But test centuries are more significant than ODI ones as a rule, so we remember them. We remember absolutely amazing ODI ones (his 181, and 131) if they are in big series or World Cups.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

I remember off the top of my head: Taylor's 1st ODI hundred v SL in 2006, vs Australia in the 07 CH series at Eden Park, his merciless brutalisation of India during their 2014 tour when he got back to back hundreds to close out the 4-0 scoreline, his crazy batting during the ODI series v England in 2015. From 2016 to 2020 it becomes a bit of a blur - he clocked up 3000 runs at about 62 apiece. But obviously the 2018 ODI series v England stands out, where NZ got 2 wins and 1 narrow loss in the three games he played, but collapsed to massive defeats in the 2 games he missed, really emphasised just how vital a player he was to NZ's ODI success during that era.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Here’s one mostly forgotten ODI knock (from that 2012 series in the Windies most of us have blocked from memory, lol):

I recall this one because Taylor had sat out the first 3 ODIs and Sunil Narine was basically a cheat code against the NZ batting lineup through the tour. It was such a refreshing change to see him come in and score a century after watching the likes of Nicol, Flynn and Brownlie scratch around. One of the last reminders of how, before Williamson came of age, he practically carried the batting.