• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ross Taylor's last series memorial thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Giving a team from so far away seven days of cricket all up as the carrot for two weeks of sitting around in a managed isolation hotel seemed fair enough to me.

Even the Hutt Hawks U17s or the Grey Caps Over-50s would expect an itinerary of at least seven games to bother embarking on a cricket tour in Covid times.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, fair points all. I've clearly been conditioned to expect them to do the toss for the first T20I at the immediate time the visiting team walks down onto the concourse at Auckland International.

cnerd123

likes this
I might have missed something, but 3 warm up games for a 3 ODI, 1 T20I seems massive overkill?
Its valuable game time for Netherlands. Associates need as much cricket as they can get, and if they're flying all the way out to New Zealand they may as well make the most of it.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Its valuable game time for Netherlands. Associates need as much cricket as they can get, and if they're flying all the way out to New Zealand they may as well make the most of it.
Surely it wouldnt have killed David White to make it at 3 T20I and 3 ODIs. Blows my mind that both test tours here this summer that the teams were in isolation for more days than they played cricket. Absolutely bonkers.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The way they did it last summer was surpsingly impressive. West Indies and Pakistan both sending a mix of test, white ball and an 'A' team all in one. Playing plenty of cricket including warm-ups and 'A' series., re-purposing some players and sharing back office staff (I presume).

Even with no Quarantine requirements. Sending a team across the word to play just 2 tests and nothing else is little bit obscene. (From a cost and climate POV). Or in this case just 4 white-ball games (as per the original schedule).

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Next month, Tim is off to the Netherlands to play for the club based in the city of his birth, Den Haag, something he is clearly looking forward to.

“My dad played for the same club I am going to be playing for,” Tim explains. “The captain of my club over there is actually over here for the Netherlands as well so I am hoping to catch up with him.

vandem

International 12th Man
...Next month, Tim is off to the Netherlands to play for the club based in the city of his birth, Den Haag, something he is clearly looking forward to.

“My dad played for the same club I am going to be playing for,” Tim explains. “The captain of my club over there is actually over here for the Netherlands as well so I am hoping to catch up with him.
So can Netherlands call up Pringle (perhaps for injury / covid cover) without affecting his NZ eligibility? I assume he is an outside chance for ND contract next season.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
So can Netherlands call up Pringle (perhaps for injury / covid cover) without affecting his NZ eligibility? I assume he is an outside chance for ND contract next season.
Yes I suppose so, but Cribbage says they already have plenty of serviceable left-arm spin in their ranks. Hopefully the local Tauranga newspaper guy is on hand, hyping up Tim's top-order batting promise.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes I suppose so, but Cribbage says they already have plenty of serviceable left-arm spin in their ranks. Hopefully the local Tauranga newspaper guy is on hand, hyping up Tim's top-order batting promise.
RvdM doesn't seem to be bothering to turn out for them at the moment so there's one down at least.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm probably in the minority here, but to me this series is a complete waste of time for New Zealand. I hope it doesn't become a main-stay of a NZ cricket season where associates tour and play the national team. By all means, come and play the domestic teams, U-19s, A team, etc but not the national team. I have similar feelings towards the 3 T20Is, 3 ODIs against Ireland in Ireland too. One-off matches sure, but avoid series. Time for the ICC to bring in the divisions.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'm probably in the minority here, but to me this series is a complete waste of time for New Zealand. I hope it doesn't become a main-stay of a NZ cricket season where associates tour and play the national team. By all means, come and play the domestic teams, U-19s, A team, etc but not the national team. I have similar feelings towards the 3 T20Is, 3 ODIs against Ireland in Ireland too. One-off matches sure, but avoid series. Time for the ICC to bring in the divisions.
It is needed for qualifying for the 2023 World Cup. So far we have played the fewest ODIs in qualifying (just 3) of all the sides. Getting matches vs Aus cancelled obviously didn't help. I don't mind playing a different team (even if they are weak) for variety, but it would be terrible to somehow drop one or get one rained out vs the Dutch.

My wife (who quite likes cricket and was decent) said she thought it was crazy that Bangladesh and SA went through MIQ and just played 2 tests each, with no white ball. I remember the previous time SA came (2017) and it was 3-3-3 (T20s, ODIs, tests) which was a great balance for NZ cricket. The opposition can get properly acclimatised and fans can start to 'know' opposition players.

I see England might be back to NZ for some non WTC tests next summer. Don't know if there will be white ball games though.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mods

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I've said it before but I'd love a St Patrick's test here against the Irish. I reckon it would go off. $5 discount on ticket at gate for wearing green. Have guiness and baked potatoes amongst the drink and food options, and a few tacky leprechaun games for kids as well as cricket nets/bouncy castles etc. Would be a good way to finish the home test season before the IPL players leave.

Could have ODIs and T20s in the week/s before.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It is needed for qualifying for the 2023 World Cup. So far we have played the fewest ODIs in qualifying (just 3) of all the sides. Getting matches vs Aus cancelled obviously didn't help. I don't mind playing a different team (even if they are weak) for variety, but it would be terrible to somehow drop one or get one rained out vs the Dutch.
Oh ok - didn't realise we had to qualify for the 2023 WC.

My wife (who quite likes cricket and was decent) said she thought it was crazy that Bangladesh and SA went through MIQ and just played 2 tests each, with no white ball. I remember the previous time SA came (2017) and it was 3-3-3 (T20s, ODIs, tests) which was a great balance for NZ cricket. The opposition can get properly acclimatised and fans can start to 'know' opposition players.

I see England might be back to NZ for some non WTC tests next summer. Don't know if there will be white ball games though.
Totally agree with your wife, especially in Covid time for such short tours to take place.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Oh ok - didn't realise we had to qualify for the 2023 WC.
I agree with my wife too. It's a good thing to do!

Re the 2023 WC, only India gets direct entry. This is copied from Wikipedia:

As with the previous edition the 2023 World Cup will feature ten teams. The main route for qualification is the 2020-23 Super League tournament. For the thirteen competitors in this tournament, the top seven teams plus the hosts (India) will qualify for the World Cup. The remaining five teams, along with five Associate sides, will proceed to the 2023 qualifier, from which two teams will go through to the final tournament.

The 13 teams in the Super League are the 12 test nations plus the Netherlands. India will still play superleague ODIs, but will be in the tournament regardless of how they go.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Bracewell is in great touch. Yes it is the dutch and they don't look all that good but Bracewell has found his touch at the right time. The first ball he bowled to get a wicket had drift, turn and bounce. That was a dream ball for any spinner. As for batting, he is getting into good position early and playing very positive brand of cricket. I honestly starting to think he's here to stay. Taken him many years to find his rhythm but at the moment he's looking as good as any in the black caps. Hope he gets a decent run and not just couple of games or three vs dutch and then none for the next year or so. Would he be a reasonable chance for t20 WC later this year?