• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If there's a separate OD development squad, could probably make it here depending on how many we take. He's had a better year than Bedwetter in the FC stuff, but nothing special.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Although the main squad hasn't been announced yet, I thought it might still be pretty interesting to talk about the performance squad which will also be in Australia while the Ashes are going on.
Quite a few players, with no prior International recognition, have had impressive seasons this year.
There's also the small matter of whether it'd be more beneficial to have Rashid in this squad, getting overs under his belt on Australian soil? Or whether he's rightfully England's #2 spinner and should be in the main squad... I guess it depends on where the performance squad is in Australia with regards to the main squad.
Does anybody know if a fixture list has yet been published?

So a rough XI IMO

Michael Carberry
Adam Lyth
Ed Joyce
James Hildreth
James Taylor
Andrew Gale
Craig Kieswetter - I wouldn't myself but reckon England will
Chris Woakes
James Harris
Chris Tremlett
Monty Panesar

That's based on Rashid being with the main squad. Tredwell can do one :p
Other names, Moeen Ali? Jimmy Adams? Dominic Cork? :ph34r: Glen Chapple? :ph34r:
Wouldn't mind seeing Alex Hales go, and I imagine Luke Wright will be floating about the setup somewhere
As mentioned before. Joyce wants to play for Ireland again based on what i've heard, so he wont be there. Bopara instead.

Tremlett should DEFIANTELY be in the main Ashes squad, especially now that Sidebottom has retired. So maybe a G Chapple or a youngster like Nathan Buck can get a look in.

2 spinners should not be in the Ashes squad. If god forbin Swann gets injured, ENG will have to play 4 seamers. Playing Rashid or Tredwell as part of a 4-man attack would be one of the worst Ashes selections in history.

Last edited:

Jarquis

But if we go into the 5th Test needing a win, there aren't many better candidates to bat 7 and be the 5th bowler than Rashid.

I'd rather him get a stack of overs under his belt in the performance squad though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
But if we go into the 5th Test needing a win, there aren't many better candidates to bat 7 and be the 5th bowler than Rashid.

I'd rather him get a stack of overs under his belt in the performance squad though.
Bat Braod @ 7 in such a scenario. Keep Rashid farrrrr away from the Ashes squad.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, 5th Test @ Sydney Cricket Ground?
He or Tredwell is highly unlikely to trouble the AUS batsmen in such a scenario. Its too much of a risk, since they are not test quality.

Even so going back to the original point. Id be VERY reluctant to pick 5 bowlers at any point in the Ashes, even if for eg ENG are 2-0 down after 2 tests & the 4-man attack struggle to take 20 wickets.

ENG have to accept with no Flintoff, playing 5 bowlers can never happen again unless WC another all-rounder appears. Just have to back Swann to keep doing well & Anderson do do a Hogagrd of Ashes 06/07 & learn to bowl on flat decks, to be able to take 20 AUS wikcets consistently.

ENG need a solid top 7 just as much a 5 bowles in AUS. Without a proper all-rounder 5 bowlers in AUS is too much of a risk, since it exposes the batting.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't see the problem with 5 bowlers, tbh. Fairly bat-friendly conditions in general + a solid-not-brilliant OZ attack means you could get away with it if the conditions warranted.

Could see a role for Rashid as a hard-hitting 7 or 8 and as a second spinner.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't see the problem with 5 bowlers, tbh. Fairly bat-friendly conditions in general + a solid-not-brilliant OZ attack means you could get away with it if the conditions warranted.

Could see a role for Rashid as a hard-hitting 7 or 8 and as a second spinner.
Totally disagree.

Firstly although you will have fairly bat-friendly conditions in AUS. You want have roads, except for Adelaide. Brisbane will always have something for the quicks, SCG may seam around for 1st couple days Once every memeber the AUS pace-attack bowl to potential i would certainly expect them to be on top of ENGs vulnerable top 7 more often than not. Thus given that vulnerability, ENG will not get away with playing only 6 bats in order to accomodate 5 bowlers.

Secondly i dont know how much of Rashid you have seen, but the man is not test quality in any facet. No way would be effective in a role as "as a hard-hitting 7 or 8 and as a second spinner". Not sure what about him would give anyone this confidence or POV.

Earlier this year in Bangladesh the selectors didn't have faith in testing him out in such a role in test match enviroment. They picked Tredwell ahead of him, that alone should should have put the rest the idea of him playing in the Ashes. I'm stunend its still even being considered.

So again with no Flintoff around, ENG can never play 5-bowlers again in tests.Especially againts the likes of AUS, SA, IND, SRI.

Jarquis

Rashid can bat decently and can bowl some pretty tidy leggies. He's pretty much custom built for batting 7 or 8 and being the second spinner ATM.
Whether or not that's a role the current England side could accommodate him in is another matter.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Rashid can bat decently and can bowl some pretty tidy leggies. He's pretty much custom built for batting 7 or 8 and being the second spinner ATM.
Whether or not that's a role the current England side could accommodate him in is another matter.
He is suited for at @ county level - but not internationally. Plus no its not a role ENG need for the Ashes.

morgieb

Broad, Rashid and Swann (and even Anderson to a extent, lol) know which way to hold up a bat - they're probably lower-order batsman, but if England's attack get murdered, there's no reason why you can't have Rashid or Broad @ 7.

Uppercut

I don't think he's a good enough bowler though. Am yet to see any evidence that he's good enough to average under 50 with the ball when playing away to Australia.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Remind me which country holds the rubber in all three formats between us currently?

Thought so :p

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What do you mean. The higher test ranking, the World Cup and the Champions trophy? Thanks for reminding me.

Still doesn't solve your little dilemma of winning a test here