• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2022 World Cup

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gawd watching England has become torture, think I'll watch Pointless, see how the new presenters are.

Edit Sally Lindsay is worse than Maguire, in fact maybe they could do a job swap.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Foden's recent form in front of goal must make him a definite starter on the left of our front 3, despite being ineffective and subbed last time out. So a front 3 of Foden, Kane and Saka, with Rice and Bellingham in midfield, James and, probably Shaw at wing backs, Pickford in goal, and a back 3 of Walker or Stones, Dier and Stones or someone else to replace Maguire.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still think Sterling will start, Southgate is loyal to the players who he trusts and Sterling would count as one with Kane, Pickford, Stones, Walker and Maguire.

For the record I'd say Foden and Saka should both be in ahead of Sterling but gut feeling is Sterling gets the nod over one of them.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Still think Sterling will start, Southgate is loyal to the players who he trusts and Sterling would count as one with Kane, Pickford, Stones, Walker and Maguire.

For the record I'd say Foden and Saka should both be in ahead of Sterling but gut feeling is Sterling gets the nod over one of them.

At least Sterling isn't as comically out of form as Maguire, right?

Any takers for giving Ben White a run as a CB? I would propose a back three of Walker, Dier and White.

flibbertyjibber

At least Sterling isn't as comically out of form as Maguire, right?

Any takers for giving Ben White a run as a CB? I would propose a back three of Walker, Dier and White.
I'd propose any of White, Coady, Mings, Tarkowski and Dunk over Maguire at present.

grecian

Is anyone looking forward to this? Terrible timing in a terrible country and England are going backwards fast. :santa:
I'll probably get into it once it starts, but yeah no enthusiasm for it ATM, morally or entertainment-wise,

I dunno about us going backwards, we still have a core base of players in midfield and attack (if only one real out-an-out striker that are pretty exciting, but will Southgate just revert to tried and tested. In the end though people should remember that often a team that starts the World Cup is not the one that ends it.

There's definitely a good side in there somewhere. Really want to see Bellingham start, ahead of Rice, but honestly think we'd be better playing 4 at the back, so we could play as many of the glut of decent midfielders we have. Bellingham, Rice and Foden should all start IMHO. Mount is coming into form at the right time too.

Hard to look at it not being Brazil or Argentina though, particularly with the conditions. I think success is another Seni, quarters not a disaster, and hopefully we'll be in the running to win Euro22, or the 26 world Cup.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'll probably get into it once it starts, but yeah no enthusiasm for it ATM, morally or entertainment-wise,

I dunno about us going backwards, we still have a core base of players in midfield and attack (if only one real out-an-out striker that are pretty exciting, but will Southgate just revert to tried and tested. In the end though people should remember that often a team that starts the World Cup is not the one that ends it.

There's definitely a good side in there somewhere. Really want to see Bellingham start, ahead of Rice, but honestly think we'd be better playing 4 at the back, so we could play as many of the glut of decent midfielders we have. Bellingham, Rice and Foden should all start IMHO. Mount is coming into form at the right time too.

Hard to look at it not being Brazil or Argentina though, particularly with the conditions. I think success is another Seni, quarters not a disaster, and hopefully we'll be in the running to win Euro22, or the 26 world Cup.
I think that Bellingham, Rice and Foden all start even with 3 at the back don't they? iirc that's how we started against Germany last time out.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In the big games (assuming there are any) we’ll play a back 8, deny space and stifle the game. If we score early we’ll attempt to play the rest of the game in our half.

grecian

I think that Bellingham, Rice and Foden all start even with 3 at the back don't they? iirc that's how we started against Germany last time out.
well you have got to fit in Kane, Saka and Mount too, and Southgate is likely to pick Raheem.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
In the big games (assuming there are any) we’ll play a back 8, deny space and stifle the game. If we score early we’ll attempt to play the rest of the game in our half.
Isn't that how you lost the Euro 2020 final? I get having a stout defense but you can't afford creative playmakers like Jorginho the freedom of the field in the name of 'protecting a lead'

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I thought against Croatia in the Semi we still pushed forward for the first hour and particularly in the first half could have scored again. It was only then we sat deep. It's just gradually got more and more turgid and eventually culminated in the almost farcical Euro Final. I know we should be grateful to be reaching the latter stages, but it feels like everything fell into place for success in the last two tournaments with draws and then home advantage and we didn't make the most of it. :santa:

Uppercut

I agree with you that the squad is underwhelming with the injuries and loss of form. But your group is basically a bye and you'd probably then play Senegal, Ecuador, or Qatar in the second round.

If they played great football then lost to France on penalties in the quarters I'd say you could fairly call it a positive tournament. But if you're brutal to watch, as seems likely, a quarter final appearance is the absolute bare minimum.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I keep forgetting this is a thing

was reading an article earlier that started by saying "Arsenal have only four more premiership games before the world cup"

and I just thought "aw no, not that"

says it all I guess

Burgey

I haven't seen any "It's coming home!" dribble from Corrin so far. Are England traveling that badly these days (not that it's stopped him before)?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I haven't seen any "It's coming home!" dribble from Corrin so far. Are England traveling that badly these days (not that it's stopped him before)?
Yeah. & We're two bob at home too. Form is flatlining.

For purely illustrative purposes:

2nd Sept 21: Hungary 0 England 4
14th Oct 21: England 1 Hungary 1
4th Jun 22: Hungary 1 England 0
14th Jun 22: England 0 Hungary 4

Burgey

Ewww, that's not great.

Have to agree though, this has been the lowest key build up to a WC I can remember. Might be because it's mid-European season so the club stuff is occupying everyone's minds. Might also be because everyone is sort of holding their noses at it being held in Qatar, given their human rights record.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah. & We're two bob at home too. Form is flatlining.

For purely illustrative purposes:

2nd Sept 21: Hungary 0 England 4
14th Oct 21: England 1 Hungary 1
4th Jun 22: Hungary 1 England 0
14th Jun 22: England 0 Hungary 4
Magical Magyars :wub: