• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Finals Thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Kinda depressing that Croatia made the final in Russia and now the semis this time around and we're the only team they've beaten without recourse to pens.

And even that was AET.
Why is it depressing? Smaller population than NZ and easily the best footballing nation per capita in the world.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why is it depressing? Smaller population than NZ and easily the best footballing nation per capita in the world.
For the same reason as England being the only team Italy has beaten in a WC finals tournament since they won it in 2006 is a little depressing.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They’re really not great to watch, can get quite snippy towards other teams, and have some kinda dark politics that crops up now and again.

OTOH it’s satisfying for a country to consistently punch above their weight by focusing purely on passing and technique. In a way it’s a victory for the artists. And Modric is a beautiful legend.

Still, I’d much rather be watching Brazil v Argentina.

Niall

International Coach
It could be us but people like me will be insufferable* for about 40 years if we win it so

*even more so
England don't have many bad eggs anymore really.

I think in order of preference for me.

Portugal (Ronaldo now benched)
England
France
Argentina
Morocco

The event to be cancelled.

Croatia.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Croatia didn't play as negatively as is being claimed here. They didn't create any real clear cut chances apart from their goal, no. But they kept the ball nicely for large chunks of that game. Certainly didn't just let Brazil have the ball and sit back doing nothing.
Keeping the ball rather than taking a chance to try to score is kinda just another way to be negative though. Brazil defended very well tbf.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
End of the day it’s reasonable enough for neutrals to want to be entertained but it’d be irresponsible to not do what gives you the best chance of winning.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What's 'entertaining' anyway? For me the story is much more interesting than holding up some arbitrary standard of aesthetics in sport.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Keeping the ball rather than taking a chance to try to score is kinda just another way to be negative though. Brazil defended very well tbf.
It is, but it does take a set of skills to do. As someone who has seen England constantly **** up by just not being technically good enough to keep good possession which stretches the opposition, I admire Croatia for being able to do it. It's not just passing the ball around at the back.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No recall for Ron. A final between Portugal and Argentina with Messi on the pitch and Ron on the bench would be quite funny. :santa:
The thing is people saying it'll be funny if Portugal win the World Cup without Ronaldo starting, that'd teach him are being utterly idiotic, it means he'll pick up a world Cup medal and in years to come that'll be his legacy winning every major trophy he possibly could for clubs and National.