• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 4 - Sri Lanka v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty ordinary World Cup from Strauss in the end. One fantastic knock against India and a decent knock vs. Netherlands.

The rest is incredibly forgettable.

Borges

International Regular
Congrats, Sri Lanka. Couldn't have been more emphatic.

Congrats to the two openers too; it was a masterclass on 'How To Play Spin Bowling'.

So we now have the three sub-continental teams along with New Zealand in the semis. Think the winner of the SL-NZ game has the better chance to win the cup - Pakistan/India would be utterly drained after their encounter.

Teja.

Global Moderator
This match leaves me so unsatisfied. I understand there's a difference in class between the SL and Eng teams but that doesn't justify England not even trying to do anything and completely giving up at around 150/0. Yeah, The batsman played extremely well but it reminded me of AbDv's 100 in the game Sachin got 200* in, He played some awesome shots but the bowlers weren't really putting in much of an effort. So so dire from England.

I don't know what the **** Sidhu is doing as a cricket pundit tbh, The guy murdered an old man over a parking dispute in 2006 and then exploited political loopholes to avoid getting into jail. Would stay a hundred miles away from him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not much to say, really. Hearty congrats to SL, & Dilshan and Tharanga in particular. I thought 229 was slightly below par, but never to this extent.

Rather sad our thoroughly entertaining campaign ended with such a joyless thumping, but really whatever success we've had has been in spite of our tactics and selection rather than because of them. The writing was on the wall with the sudden dumping of Davies and then underscored by the promotion of Prior to open despite him being unsuited to the job.

The trouble is who have we got to bring in? Jos Buttler will play sooner or later and Hildreth and Taylor have good cases but bowling wise the cupboard seems pretty bare, as evidenced by calling up a bloke with a List A with an economy rate of over 6 RPO into this squad.

smash84

The Tiger King

I don't know what the **** Sidhu is doing as a cricket pundit tbh, The guy murdered an old man over a parking dispute in 2006 and then exploited political loopholes to avoid getting into jail. Would stay a hundred miles away from him.
Really? When did this happen?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I make Sri Lanka big favourites here. This looks to me a lot like a classic Sri Lankan deck- looks flat when Sri Lankans bat on it, looks awkward when anyone else bats on it. Especially England. England's death batting always makes the pitch look worse than it is.
Good call. :thumbsup:

vcs

Congrats to SL fans!

Just dominant in World Cups.

Made the semis or better for the third time in a row.
IMHO, they are easily the 2nd best ODI side since '96 after Australia. By a fairly comfortable margin. Yes, they don't win many bilateral series overseas, but their WC performances more than compensate.

vcs

Pretty ordinary World Cup from Strauss in the end. One fantastic knock against India and a decent knock vs. Netherlands.

The rest is incredibly forgettable.
Harsh to call it ordinary or forgettable. Somewhere between quite good and excellent, for mine. He already had a good Test record in India, but he has improved on what was previously a pretty ordinary ODI record.

Jacknife

International Captain
Ah, well. tbh I didn't give them much of a chance to begin with in this tournament, and we knew Sri Lanka were the better side before this game.

A shame they couldn't put up a fight, but really I'm just looking forward to the home summer - just grateful that we got some really good games in in the mean time.

Sri Lanka really are an excellent side. Great strokeplayers in the top order and some fantastically exciting bowlers. They've played as well as anyone all tournament. This innings has been near faultless.

(edit: Dilshan, what a ton, showed them how to play on this track.)

England really look like they should just go home. Get some rest, get your frigging first team out of the hospital - and give these guys a tonking in the Tests in May. :happy:
I agree, at the end of the day England have had a great 2010/11, World Twenty20 champs, Ashes demolition, 5 0Di's series win in a row, it's been a great year a so. Like you said, we can have a revenge of sorts in a couple of months and me for one, can't wait for the summer to start.

smash84

The Tiger King
IMHO, they are easily the 2nd best ODI side since '96 after Australia. By a fairly comfortable margin. Yes, they don't win many bilateral series overseas, but their WC performances more than compensate.
SL were quite ordinary in the 1998-2002 period IIRC

Lostman

State Captain
looking for the youtube vid of Murali's meltdown, never seen him go off like that:censored:
Would not have want to be Mathews or Herath at that time.
Herath also bumbled a chance when Murali first came onto bowl, completely misjudged a top edge I thought.

Jacknife

International Captain
Not much to say, really. Hearty congrats to SL, & Dilshan and Tharanga in particular. I thought 229 was slightly below par, but never to this extent.

Rather sad our thoroughly entertaining campaign ended with such a joyless thumping, but really whatever success we've had has been in spite of our tactics and selection rather than because of them. The writing was on the wall with the sudden dumping of Davies and then underscored by the promotion of Prior to open despite him being unsuited to the job.

The trouble is who have we got to bring in? Jos Buttler will play sooner or later and Hildreth and Taylor have good cases but bowling wise the cupboard seems pretty bare, as evidenced by calling up a bloke with a List A with an economy rate of over 6 RPO into this squad.
I think Butler and Taylor should defo be given a chance this year and hopefully Samit gets his ass in gear and takes the opportunity that is clearly there for him. The bowling is more of a problem we have Swann, Broad, Bresnan and like I say Samit would be a good addition. Even though Jimmy as been poor here, I wouldn't be too quick to get rid especially when we play at home. I'd give more time to Shahzad as well, who is fairly new to the team because I think he has a decent future.

vcs

Whose idea was it to push Dilshan into the opening slot? Quite a masterstroke. Turned a fairly ordinary bits and pieces cricketer into a pretty fearsome prospect. His averages in 2009, 2010 and 2011 are 55.55@103.19, 51.16@98.92 and 54.37@94.56.

Sensational turnaround.

Lostman

State Captain
Whose idea was it to push Dilshan into the opening slot? Quite a masterstroke. Turned a fairly ordinary bits and pieces cricketer into a pretty fearsome prospect. His averages in 2009, 2010 and 2011 are 55.55@103.19, 51.16@98.92 and 54.37@94.56.

Sensational turnaround.
from all accounts it was Dilshan that wanted to open.
When Mahela was captain he asked for the opening slot.

SL has the master plan on turning mediocre middle order bats into opening world beaters on lock. First Jayasuriya, and now Dilshan. Kapu is destined for great things...:p

Howe_zat

Audio File
from all accounts it was Dilshan that wanted to open.
When Mahela was captain he asked for the opening slot.

SL has the master plan on turning mediocre middle order bats into opening world beaters on lock. First Jayasuriya, and now Dilshan. Kapu is destined for great things...:p
Thinking about it, has he ever opened, in domestic or elsewhere? He's got talent, there must be something they can do with him. Be a shame if he doesn't find a way to improve.

Lostman

State Captain
IIRC ,they did let him open a few games against Bang a couple years back, so-so performance I think.

I know, I make fun of the dude a lot, but he was really screwed up when he broke into the national side. He made his debut at around 18yrs, and was forced to bat all over the place with no set role. Initially he was picked in 05 as Jayasuriya's replacement, tough role to fill at any age.
He made a really important 50 against England, in the 3rd test in 06. (Murali game) So he has shown glimpses of talent/potential here and there. Dilshan is ~34 right now, so he might get another shot opening in a year or two.