• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 4 - Sri Lanka v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's the opening line of A Tale of Two Cities, one of the cities being Paris. His time in Paris being the best of times, and the result in this game being...

Oh look, never mind.
you know it is a poor joke when you have to explain Dickensian references over here... :)

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I don't know, he certainly went up in my estimation as an ODI batsman. Averaged around 48 for the tournament. If Tendulkar gets out cheaply in the next game, he will average around the same. Would you call it a mediocre WC for him after 2 hundreds? I guess our yardsticks are a bit different.
158, 31, 5, 0

Take out the 158 and he averaged 12.

salman85

International Debutant
Incredible stuff.

I was pretty sure that England was going to win another cliffhanger here.But this was ownage of the highest order.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't know, he certainly went up in my estimation as an ODI batsman. Averaged around 48 for the tournament. If Tendulkar gets out cheaply in the next game, he will average around the same. Would you call it a mediocre WC for him after 2 hundreds? I guess our yardsticks are a bit different.
Your yardstick is one amazing innings. If that is it, fair enough.

But your argument regarding Sachin and Strauss having the same quality of tournament if Sachin goes out cheaply in the semi based purely on average is unbelievably poor. Would have thought you know to look further than numbers.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

But your argument regarding Sachin and Strauss having the same quality of tournament if Sachin goes out cheaply in the semi based purely on average is unbelievably poor. Would have thought you know to look further than numbers.
Well, let's agree to disagree. 334 runs is not a forgettable WC IMO. Kohli has only 238 FWIW. :ph34r:

smash84

The Tiger King

will go with jono on this one. One big inning in one match of a world cup and pretty much **** in the rest of it isn't exactly a great world cup

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, let's agree to disagree. 334 runs is not a forgettable WC IMO. Kohli has only 238 FWIW. :ph34r:
Except I never said he had a forgettable World Cup. I said the rest of his World Cup after the Indian match was forgettable.

That is a very very different statement.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Congrats to England, they put out far more entertainment and surprises than was expected. The fact that they failed in their last match should not detract from their prior efforts. If anything, this should serve to remind management that sportsmen are human and will get exhausted after strenuous tours

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Except I never said he had a forgettable World Cup. I said the rest of his World Cup after the Indian match was forgettable.

That is a very very different statement.
Well yeah, clearly there wasn't much to write home about after that India match. Still I would say he had a pretty good outing overall.

Woodster

International Captain
Recorded the majority of this game and did everything I could to avoid the result (including slapping my hand over someones mouth in the curry house that was about to unwittingly reveal all! He did tell me I'll enjoy the cricket, little did I know at the time how sarcastic he was being) and watch it today, kind of a wasted effort really as the result never seemed in too much doubt throughout.

We were clearly outplayed in all facets, and it is not really a surprising end to a disjointed tournament for us. You always hope despite the performances that have gone before, that everything clicks in the next game, but the SL game highlighed all our deficiencies and a thorough thrashing was the result.

We battled hard to make 229, there was no real fluency and prolonged periods of consolidation following a lack of any authoritative partnerships. The no-fear approach we have adopted in ODI's over the last 12 months or so was sadly lacking, and our continual problems in playing positively against slow bowling persists. No aggressive footwork and proactivity means we are restricted to pushing and prodding hoping for 3 or 4 singles per over.

However it obviously wasn't all about how bad we were, as SL made it exceptionally difficult for us to play anywhere near our best cricket. Their bowling attack is very difficult to dominate such is their variations and general skills in those conditions. While our attacks look predictable and unthreatening on these flat pitches, SL have that something extra (as does a team like Pakistan).

Prior to the game I thought if we removed Sanga and Jayawardene cheaply, we could have a real chance. We never even got them to the crease!!

We demonstrated great heart at times in this competition and battled very hard to make it through to the quarters, we also embarrassed ourselves on occasions, thus making it so hard to qualify for that phase. Changes in players, strategies, structure and maybe even skipper could help erase memories of this thumping in the months ahead.

Bun

Banned
Congrats to England, they put out far more entertainment and surprises than was expected. The fact that they failed in their last match should not detract from their prior efforts. If anything, this should serve to remind management that sportsmen are human and will get exhausted after strenuous tours
wait they played five tests and seven one dayers in three and a half months. what is so herculean abt that!?

Woodster

International Captain
wait they played five tests and seven one dayers in three and a half months. what is so herculean abt that!?
Mmh, fairly sure you don't believe that. The schedule has been undoubtedly tough and thankfully will be changed for the next WC.

Bun

Banned
Mmh, fairly sure you don't believe that. The schedule has been undoubtedly tough and thankfully will be changed for the next WC.
no tougher than for say Pakistan who had played many more away from home games as compared to Eng, in the last six months. And still they dont have a home advantage.

Woodster

International Captain
no tougher than for say Pakistan who had played many more away from home games as compared to Eng, in the last six months. And still they dont have a home advantage.

Probably not much between the sides in terms of days of cricket played, but I think they will have had the luxury of more than three days at home in the last five moths or so. Also the amount of preparation and pressure that goes into an Ashes series is incomparable to most Test series. That said, this is not the main reason for a below par WC performance, merely contributory factors.

Jacknife

International Captain
Add to that, 3 first class warm up game and that one day game against the Presidents XI, I think like Woodster said it's the time on the road that hasn't helped and the effort put in to do what they did in Australia. I think, both England and Australia, would have benefited from playing less ODi's after the tests and should have got to the sub continent earlier.

smash84

The Tiger King
Add to that, 3 first class warm up game and that one day game against the Presidents XI, I think like Woodster said it's the time on the road that hasn't helped and the effort put in to do what they did in Australia. I think, both England and Australia, would have benefited from playing less ODi's after the tests and should have got to the sub continent earlier.
awta

Woodster

International Captain
The seven ODI's in Australia from a cricketing perspective was unnecessary. Maybe if we had a clearer picture of what our best ODI XI was going to be in this WC, we could have sent those that played the Tests home for a couple of weeks and to get out to the sub-continent in time for enough good preparation. The problem was they weren't sure of our best XI and used it as another chance to battle for places.