• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, but I never said he wasn't going through a form slump. More getting at the fact that he hasn't been as horrible as Howsie suggests.

You could look at many sections of his career opening where he has been good and many periods where he hasn't. But it evens out to his career average,

I'm not saying that McCullum should continue opening forever. If it continues on this way, then of course they need to try someone different up the order.

Anyways.....

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If you start looking at very small sample sizes you get lots of odd stats though, against the best teams since 2010

Amla has 1181 @ 65.61
Gayle has 260 @ 18.57

Should Gayle get dropped? Should Amla be proclaimed the new messiah?

Yes to the latter tbh.
No arguments, tbh. Just making a point.

Regardless, McCullum should open for the rest of the World Cup, and things can be reassessed from there onwards.

NZ to win on friday. I've sacrificed $100 to the bet365 gods that we'd be knocked out in the quarters, so there's no way we can lose!

Flem274*

123/5
Hypothetically, if we were to remove McCullum from opening after the WC, who would you replace him with?

The only names I can think off the top of my head who would deserve a crack are Flynn, Watling, Nicol and Ingram.

All of the above players have their own big weaknesses along with McCullum.

Howsie

International Captain
I'm interested in who you think should be opening, who comes out of the side to allow for that opener, and where McCullum should be batting.
Daniel Flynn. I'm a fan of Jeese Ryder opening the batting and really don't buy the whole he'd be better suited down the order argument but if he stays at three I'd like to see Flynn brought into the team. He really wasn't done a lot of favours when he first came into the team batting in the middle to lower order but he'd flourish imo up the order like he has done for ND.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Haha never really understood why there is such a marked difference in his starts batting at #1 and #2.
Because he doesn't have a plan at the start of the innings. I still think we don't have a plan in our heads when we bat first. Well, we do, but our implementation is half-hearted to say the least. McCullum is part of it.

Flem274*

123/5
Daniel Flynn. I'm a fan of Jeese Ryder opening the batting and really don't buy the whole he'd be better suited down the order argument but if he stays at three I'd like to see Flynn brought into the team. He really wasn't done a lot of favours when he first came into the team batting in the middle to lower order but he'd flourish imo up the order like he has done for ND.
I would put my avatar on the line for Flynn being nowhere after two years in an ODI shirt (if he even lasts that long).

Style over substance.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you start looking at very small sample sizes you get lots of odd stats though, against the best teams since 2010

Amla has 1181 @ 65.61
Gayle has 260 @ 18.57

Should Gayle get dropped? Should Amla be proclaimed the new messiah?

Yes to the latter tbh.
Amla is the new messiah. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Because he doesn't have a plan at the start of the innings. I still think we don't have a plan in our heads when we bat first. Well, we do, but our implementation is half-hearted to say the least. McCullum is part of it.
The figures I was more confused about is when he faces the first ball of the match he fares significantly worse than when he is opening at the other end.

You're spot on about the innings though, Baz is a far far far better chaser than score setter. Averages near 40 opening in the 2nd innings.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I can make a totally speculative theory for you if you want. No? Well I'll write it anyway.

- McCullum sees himself as the senior partner in the opening combination no matter whether he's with Ryder, Guptill or someone else.
- Wants to take responsibility by taking first strike in the more difficult match situations against the stronger opponents.
- Scores fewer runs in the more difficult match situations against stronger opponents.
- Case closed

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
For reasons why I don't want us to bat first against South Africa, see West Indies' current batting display.
Pressure + unreliable batting lineup + not knowing how to go about setting a total = disaster.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hi Kiwi fans. Planning my moves with cricinfo fantasy cricket. Pretty set on bringing Oram in, but for budgetary reasons I will need to do it before the Ind/Aus match, therefore not knowing if he is named for NZ/SA.

Will he definitely play? Was he just missing matches earlier in the tournament due to injury? I didn't quite follow the saga early on.

Help much appreciated :)

BeeGee

International Captain
You're spot on about the innings though, Baz is a far far far better chaser than score setter. Averages near 40 opening in the 2nd innings.
For reasons why I don't want us to bat first against South Africa, see West Indies' current batting display.
Pressure + unreliable batting lineup + not knowing how to go about setting a total = disaster.
We need to bowl first, no question. Which probably means we need to lose the toss. :confused:

BeeGee

International Captain
Hi Kiwi fans. Planning my moves with cricinfo fantasy cricket. Pretty set on bringing Oram in, but for budgetary reasons I will need to do it before the Ind/Aus match, therefore not knowing if he is named for NZ/SA.

Will he definitely play? Was he just missing matches earlier in the tournament due to injury? I didn't quite follow the saga early on.

Help much appreciated :)
He's been one of NZ's better bowlers (8 wkts @19, econ 4.6). If he's fit he'll play. I've heard no mention of any injury, so I'd say you'd be 99% safe picking Oram.