• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 1 - Pakistan v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smash84

The Tiger King
I really don't see how. Sarwan played a bad shot, but he was just as bad as Shiv.

I am happy to criticise Shiv and Sarwan a bit during their partnership. But after Sarwan's wicket Shiv just saw his teammates come and disappear.
completely agree with you here

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah they should have worked more singles for sure, and that wasn't good batting, but at least he put a reasonable price on his wicket.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, WI's batting has been terrible for a long time now. It used to be Lara who was the one-man batting lineup for a long time, and then Shiv. Not much has changed by the look of things today.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The reality is dollars and cents. It's far better to see more overs, even if that means scoring at a lesser rate, if that means you will score more in total. The most likely way that is going to happen is to play somewhat conservative. You've got to remember, WI were 71 for 8. If they were 71 for 4 I could get on board with what Uppercut is saying, but in the end 114>60 regardless of whether you think both scores are going to lose you the match anyway.

You also wouldn't be able to predict the last 5 overs had WI had 2 more wickets in hand. Maybe then Shiv would have gone for broke and pushed up the run-rate. By then they would have already scored a sizeable amount of runs and risked few overs for the possibility of accelerating the run race.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

I really don't see how. Sarwan played a bad shot, but he was just as bad as Shiv.

I am happy to criticise Shiv and Sarwan a bit during their partnership. But after Sarwan's wicket Shiv just saw his teammates come and disappear.
Indeed. WI lost 3-4 wickets without him facing a ball, IIRC.

Uppercut

The reality is dollars and cents. It's far better to see more overs, even if that means scoring at a lesser rate, if that means you will score more in total. The most likely way that is going to happen is to play somewhat conservative. You've got to remember, WI were 71 for 8. If they were 71 for 4 I could get on board with what Uppercut is saying, but in the end 114>60 regardless of whether you think both scores are going to lose you the match anyway.
It's weird- the set batsman attacking at 8 down is 100% standard practice in a test match- why wouldn't he do it in an ODI?

Himannv

International Coach
I think it's just that he's scoring so slowly, even for a situation as dire as this. A Dravidesque strike rate would be perfectly okay, but that pace is just insanely slow, if he batted like that with the tail in a test match he'd be criticised heavily. No matter how deep the poo his team is in, facing 1/3 of the balls bowled for 44 runs just won't help, ever.
Bit harsh on Chanders here. Reasons:

1. They were collapsing like a pack of cards at the other end
2. He's just got back into the team after a poor run of form
3. I think the plan was probably to get as much runs as possible from the overs remaining
4. If he got out earlier he wouldn't have been able to achieve point 3

Uppercut

I mean, there is definitely a lot of value to batting out the overs, I see what you're saying there. But with Roach and Rampaul the only batsmen remaining and Pakistan looking so dangerous, getting through all 50 was a pipe dream regardless.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Really? It's standard for a set batsman in tests to go for broke at 71-8? I think that would depend a lot on the circumstances. If they had only one inning left to bat I doubt it'd be the case. Either they'd want to slow the game down for a tie or slow it down enough to score more runs. At that score time would be the enemy.

Xuhaib

International Coach
haha...UC really harsh on Shiv the guy is clearly out of nick but still he hung in and the only reason Windies still have a sniff is due to that 40 run stand between Roach and him.As for the game please just bat sensibly and get on the plane to Mohali.

Uppercut

Really? It's standard for a set batsman in tests to go for broke at 71-8? I think that would depend a lot on the circumstances. If they had only one inning left to bat I doubt it'd be the case. Either they'd want to slow the game down for a tie or slow it down enough to score more runs. At that score time would be the enemy.
Well, if they were trying to set a score and time wasn't really a factor, yeah. The degree to which they'd attack varies from player to player but they would almost all play more positively in that situation than Shiv did in a similar situation today.

Spark

Global Moderator
haha...UC really harsh on Shiv the guy is clearly out of nick but still he hung in and the only reason Windies still have a sniff is due to that 40 run stand between Roach and him.As for the game please just bat sensibly and get on the plane to Mohali.
Not the bus? :ph34r:

qarishahg

Cricket Spectator
I'd love to see Afridi to open now, and prove us that he can bat calmly and not throw away his wicket. Although this is never going to happen lol.

Afridi has been bowling like a gem this WC.

Still not happy with no Akhtar, Wahab is a waste in my opinion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Shoaib was going to play again in this WC (not including injury) you'd think he'd have played today. Can't see Pakistan bringing him in for the semi without playing the last few games.

Mr Mxyzptlk

If Shoaib was going to play again in this WC (not including injury) you'd think he'd have played today. Can't see Pakistan bringing him in for the semi without playing the last few games.
Actually, knowing Pakistan, I can absolutely see them bringing him for the semi or final. They don't do normal.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
hes gonna be in for sure otherwise they cant lose :laugh:

Himannv

International Coach
Well, if they were trying to set a score and time wasn't really a factor, yeah. The degree to which they'd attack varies from player to player but they would almost all play more positively in that situation than Shiv did in a similar situation today.
Dont think time was really a factor. They were 71-8 in the 28th over with 22 over still left in the game. Surely the best thing would have been to try and bat out as many as possible.