• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** QLD v NSW State of Origin Thread

howardj

International Coach
Queensland's team has just been announced

XXXX QUEENSLAND MAROONS

1. Matt BOWEN (North Queensland Cowboys)
2. Greg INGLIS (Melbourne Storm)
3. Justin HODGES (Brisbane Broncos)
4. Brent TATE (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Steven BELL (Manly Sea Eagles)
6. Darren LOCKYER (c) (Brisbane Broncos)
7. Johnathan THURSTON (North Queensland Cowboys)

8. Steven PRICE (New Zealand Warriors)
9. Cameron SMITH (Melbourne Storm)
10. Petero CIVONICEVA (Brisbane Broncos)
11. David STAGG (Brisbane Broncos)
12. Matthew SCOTT (North Queensland Cowboys)
13. Dallas JOHNSON (Melbourne Storm)

Interchange
14. Shaun BERRIGAN (Brisbane Broncos)
15. Carl WEBB (North Queensland Cowboys)
16. Sam THAIDAY (Brisbane Broncos)
17. Nate MYLES (Bulldogs)

Coach: Mal MENINGA

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Very happy to see Hodgo with the #1 on his back.. Well deserved...

QLD side to me looks weird to me.. They have Tate, who has played alot of wing for Brisbane playing in the centres whilst Steve Bell is a Centre, playing on the wing...

Very happy to see Bowen at Fullback :D Bombs Away!!!

Inglis matching up on King should be entertaining...

Very happy to see Thaiday picked, i reckon he's a champion (pity he plays for Brisbane :p )

Should be a good match, still a question mark over the QLD forwards, not so much the size, but will they handle it..

Although im not as excited about Origin as much as previous years, it should be a good series..

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
poor decision top pick Bowen, the rest im happy with, Matthew Scott has played himself into the side in the past few weeks, our bench looks very damaging too. I think we'll see Tate and Bell swap positions too...

howardj

International Coach
I'm pretty happy with Qld's side. The only Origin-class players who didn't make it are Hunt and Harrison, and there are good reasons why those guys just missed out (Bowen's attacking genius; and a lack of form respectively). The big unknown is how the guys in the back-row will perform. If they stand up, then we're in with a great chance. Anyway, our selectors have made great strides since last year - at least there's no Tonie Carroll or Casey MacGuire in the team!

howardj

International Coach
The NSW side looks strong.

If Gasnier and Coops are declared fit, Qld will have to play very well to win.

Simon

howardj said:
The NSW side looks strong.

If Gasnier and Coops are declared fit, Qld will have to play very well to win.
tbh our side is just as good, if Inglis gets himself involved he'll be very hard to handle, i doubt hes played much wing in his career so im still not sure how he'll handle it...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
broncoman said:
tbh our side is just as good, if Inglis gets himself involved he'll be very hard to handle, i doubt hes played much wing in his career so im still not sure how he'll handle it...
IIRC, before Slater's suspension he's played most of his football for Melbourne on the wing. (Or was it at centre?) Admittedly though, he's always been a natural full-back, and always will be.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
I agree, in fact I think QLD have a better side this year than NSW and it'll take something special for our team to bring any joy to those of us living south of the border.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If Gas and Cooper play i think NSW will win, but if they both don't play i think NSW will lose. Inglis or Bell will run ring around Lewis. A bit disappointed Orford isn't in the side, but he fell apart when he needed to step up the most.

Simon

chaminda_00 said:
If Gas and Cooper play i think NSW will win, but if they both don't play i think NSW will lose. Inglis or Bell will run ring around Lewis. A bit disappointed Orford isn't in the side, but he fell apart when he needed to step up the most.
thats the Orford way, he can run rings around crap teams and in unimportant games, put him on the big stage and he crumbles, cant say i didnt warn u...

Simon

vic_orthdox said:
Hmmm, could have sworn King and Bell were our centres last year...
they were, but Inglis only played 9 or 10 games, they were during origin when King was unavailable and when King was injured, also played a couple when Slater was injured at fullback...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
thats the Orford way, he can run rings around crap teams and in unimportant games, put him on the big stage and he crumbles, cant say i didnt warn u...
his poor game against the Broncos had more to do with the lack of forward drive with no BK or King. Also he has won some bigish games for Melbourne in the past, you don't make the finals every year if you don't win some big games for your club during the season.

Simon

i probably should rephrase that, i mean he goes missing at the crucial times in big matches, if a game is there to be won too often Orford goes missing or simply screws up...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
I just don't think our halves will be a match for Lockyer and Thurston. QLD have a very good team this year.