• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2010

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking at the hawkeye it's not like he can't score runs when balls are bowled back of a length at him. It's just he obviously doesn't favour those particular shots, but he can play them.
2nd Test: England v Pakistan at Birmingham, Aug 6-9, 2010 | Cricket Hawkeye | Cricinfo.com
Change to beehive placement, all innings, Johnathan Trott. A great deal of dot balls are from short balls, but that makes sense, if you don't like the short ball in test cricket, you don't have to play at it.

Last edited:

slowfinger

International Debutant
Tbf I'm not trying to gain any responses whatsoeverfromanyone. The point of the thread is to discuss the topic of Pakistan v England. All the controvesies-rivalries are said here, because its a forum. If you choose to pick an internet fight then so be it, but the aim is just to share news- say what you think should happen etc etc in a friendly and constructive way. Full stop.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Looking at the hawkeye it's not like he can't score runs when balls are bowled back of a length at him. It's just he obviously doesn't favour those particular shots, but he can play them.
2nd Test: England v Pakistan at Birmingham, Aug 6-9, 2010 | Cricket Hawkeye | Cricinfo.com
Change to beehive placement, all innings, Johnathan Trott. A great deal of dot balls are from short balls, but that makes sense, if you don't like the short ball in test cricket, you don't have to play at it.
It is not so much the short ball but the back-of-a-length ball, coming through chest/waist height: his scoring option for this is really limited to the shovel off the pads for one or two, regardless of line, and this is then a line of attack that a strong side can continue to persist with for an extended period with little risk in the knowledge that they aren't going to go for runs, but that something might happen.

How many batsmen have excelled at Test level - let alone at #3 - without the ability to score boundaries off the back foot on a consistent basis?

Jarquis

Yeah, I noticed the ball outside offstump passing a foot over the stumps is one he doesn't score a lot of. He can work the ball aimed at the body for runs.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah, I noticed the ball outside offstump passing a foot over the stumps is one he doesn't score a lot of. He can work the ball aimed at the body for runs.
Yeah, this is what I'm getting at (and possibly TEC as well although I have long since given up on figuring out what he's thinking).

I can't help but think "question marks" on his ability to tough it out through five Ashes tests if he cannot find a way to keep things ticking from this delivery - at least to avoid facing over upon over of it. Nonetheles, I really hope that Trott, like Cook yesterday, goes out and proves me dead wrong.

pakster

U19 12th Man
Thoroughly chuffed with the victory; finally something for our country to cheer! I think these 2 run chases - first against Aus, and now Eng - would have done the world of good for our players. The fact that we came through them both will undoubtedly add an extra layer of mental toughness and confidence for the young'uns going forward. I would like to see Butt retain captaincy, and for us to stick with this crop of players, even if we get trounced in the next match. A bit of continuity can do wonders for a team's togetherness.

England have been poor this series. Other than Anderson, Swann and Prior, that is. The batting has wilted against the, albeit excellent, Pakistan attack - this surely cant bode well for Ashes later in the year. That said, Pakistan have been equally atrocious, the fielding in particular has been cringe-worthy.

All things considered, if Pak manage to avoid defeat in the final test, think it would have been a pretty decent summer for us.

Jarquis

Yeah, this is what I'm getting at (and possibly TEC as well although I have long since given up on figuring out what he's thinking).

I can't help but think "question marks" on his ability to tough it out through five Ashes tests if he cannot find a way to keep things ticking from this delivery - at least to avoid facing over upon over of it. Nonetheles, I really hope that Trott, like Cook yesterday, goes out and proves me dead wrong.
I think he can battle through it to be fair to him, it's not like "not scoring" has ever bothered him before. I can imagine Trott is just as content to be at the crease on 20*(100) as he is 20*(35), it just doesn't seem like he's phazed by much at all.
I'd also suggest that Hilfenhaus and Watson's natural lengths are more to Trott's liking than some of the bowling he's been facing. Johsnon and Bollinger might cause him so trouble, but with the angle it might help him. Could be more troublesome tbf.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's batsmen are all crap at the moment, talking about one feels somewhat pointless.

Andrew Strauss in particular has got off easy. No century in 12 matches. The fact that he's not scoring any runs is such a problem for the side that the policy seems to be to not mention it and hope it goes away. But he keeps nicking out outside off stump. I bring up his weakness to the outswinger periodically and it's got to be boring everyone, but it's still there, and with Bolly around the Aussies might actually be able to go after it this time.

But he's still more likely to score runs than KP.

shivfan

Banned
Thoroughly chuffed with the victory; finally something for our country to cheer! I think these 2 run chases - first against Aus, and now Eng - would have done the world of good for our players. The fact that we came through them both will undoubtedly add an extra layer of mental toughness and confidence for the young'uns going forward. I would like to see Butt retain captaincy, and for us to stick with this crop of players, even if we get trounced in the next match. A bit of continuity can do wonders for a team's togetherness.

England have been poor this series. Other than Anderson, Swann and Prior, that is. The batting has wilted against the, albeit excellent, Pakistan attack - this surely cant bode well for Ashes later in the year. That said, Pakistan have been equally atrocious, the fielding in particular has been cringe-worthy.

All things considered, if Pak manage to avoid defeat in the final test, think it would have been a pretty decent summer for us.
It was really good to see Pakistan win....

That makes the final Test at Lords an interesting one.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What's Ashes doing in this thread?
It's our next series and this one is nearly over so it figures that when discussing the composition of the team, the prospect of facing the Australians may pop up now and again.

You see, I know you know all this and you're just being passive aggressive as usual, but I feel compelled to point it out.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Awesome, awesome match for Pakistan, outside of the wobbly chase. Newbie pacer takes 5 on debut supported by some accurate bowling from the others, Pakistan actually bat a hundred overs, then bowl well enough to pressure England into playing bad shots, and to top it off they fielded relatively well. Just need these same batsmen to not throw their wickets away and we might actually be able to pull off a win at Lords.

Having watched Ajmal do well on this track the night before I was sure Pakistan would falter during the chase so decided not to watch. Seems I made a good decision. I'm not sure how many more of these chases I can take tbbh.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I think he can battle through it to be fair to him, it's not like "not scoring" has ever bothered him before. I can imagine Trott is just as content to be at the crease on 20*(100) as he is 20*(35), it just doesn't seem like he's phazed by much at all.
I'd also suggest that Hilfenhaus and Watson's natural lengths are more to Trott's liking than some of the bowling he's been facing. Johsnon and Bollinger might cause him so trouble, but with the angle it might help him. Could be more troublesome tbf.
This. Trott is doing fine, scoring at a healthy (ish) rate and he puts a value on his wicket. Against bowlers like Watson and Hilfy he win be fine, but he might struggle a tad against Johnson

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Pretty pleased for Pakistan, I know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but with all the **** that they've gone through (the country as a whole), you can't begrudge them winning this. Thoroughly deserved IMO.