• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2010

Jacknife

International Captain
Thank you all for positive feedback on my post.
Faisal,would you think one way to go for Pakistan, would be to incorporate some of the great players of the past, into the PCB, in high ranking positions,guys like Imran, Miandad, Inzi and Sarfraz Nawaz.Obviously, I don't know the ins and outs of the PCB, or what some of the great of the past are doing at the moment or even if they would be interested in a position. I just think guys like this who are linked to what made Pakistan a great cricketing nation, it would give you the fans and the outside cricket world optimism for the future.

smash84

The Tiger King
,guys like Imran, Miandad, Inzi and Sarfraz Nawaz.Obviously, I don't know the ins and outs of the PCB, or what some of the great of the past are doing at the moment or even if they would be interested in a position. I just think guys like this who are linked to what made Pakistan a great cricketing nation, it would give you the fans and the outside cricket world optimism for the future.

:LOL.........Sarfaraz Nawaz into the cricket administration??? Jacknife are you a friend of Pakistan cricket or its bitterest foe???:unsure::unsure: ........Sarfaraz Nawaz would be quite like Ijaz Butt really. You really have got to hear the man talk to see what I mean????

Javed has been in and out of the administration but he does not really have the diplomatic and administrative skills himself. Inzamam I feel would be quite similar.

Imran is in a different league altogether. If he heads the PCB then he can do a lot of good. But Imran will not be returning to cricket in any way in the future as far as I can see.

Personally I would like to see Imran as head of state. He will probably appoint somebody who knows the game of cricket as the head of PCB. But given Pakistan's politics it is difficult for honest and committed individuals to break into power circles.

Jacknife

International Captain
:LOL.........Sarfaraz Nawaz into the cricket administration??? Jacknife are you a friend of Pakistan cricket or its bitterest foe???:unsure::unsure: ........Sarfaraz Nawaz would be quite like Ijaz Butt really. You really have got to hear the man talk to see what I mean????

Javed has been in and out of the administration but he does not really have the diplomatic and administrative skills himself. Inzamam I feel would be quite similar.

Imran is in a different league altogether. If he heads the PCB then he can do a lot of good. But Imran will not be returning to cricket in any way in the future as far as I can see.

Personally I would like to see Imran as head of state. He will probably appoint somebody who knows the game of cricket as the head of PCB. But given Pakistan's politics it is difficult for honest and committed individuals to break into power circles.
Sorry, don't know much of what Sarfarz has done, since his day playing cricket and obviously some of the greatest cricketers don't make the best administrators.I here a lot of people saying how Imran would be the man, if they had the choice, to head the PCB but like you say with all the politics these things aren't that easy

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Faisal,would you think one way to go for Pakistan, would be to incorporate some of the great players of the past, into the PCB, in high ranking positions,guys like Imran, Miandad, Inzi and Sarfraz Nawaz.Obviously, I don't know the ins and outs of the PCB, or what some of the great of the past are doing at the moment or even if they would be interested in a position. I just think guys like this who are linked to what made Pakistan a great cricketing nation, it would give you the fans and the outside cricket world optimism for the future.
The only guy i feel is honest, competent or you can say loyal to Pakistan Cricket is Imran. Imran has the education, the personality, the respect to run PCB in a proper way. However, he is in politics and wants to go after the whole country itself and not just PCB.

The whole issue i guess, as i understand it so far is a mixture of things. Its not really one problem. The problem trickles down from the President nominating a favorite person as the chairman of the PCB and then there are no checks and balances on his authority. He is more or less the king of cricket. Even the selection committee can't do anything if the PCB chairman says a certain player shouldn't be selected or should be selected.

So, no 1. the nomination has to be changed to election, no 2. a proper constitution has to be developed which will give certain rights to different bodies with in the board. I.e. the chief selector has the main say in selecting players and not the PCB chairman. Similarly, equal representation has to be given to all the provinces and there local bodies in the PCB. Players should be selected on merit and domestic performance. These can be done if a properly educated person especially in the managerial field comes who has some international or FC level cricket behind him as an asset but his main area must be management. Similarly selectors have to be proper cricketers, coaches etc.

It doesn't matter who comes as a PCB chairman at this point. The system in which PCB is running at the moment, i only see Imran changing that around because he commands the respect and has the brains which can turn things around in PCB but what happens when he leaves and is done..the next guy walks in to take over all authority, i can trust Imran with such authority but not other random people.... So, at the end of the day what really needs a change is our overall socio-political culture and it will trickle down to cricket automatically.

I don't see bringing in former players other then Imran would make a difference, even Imran's presence will bring temporary change, because anyone coming in after, will stick to the status quo and just change the face of the PCB a bit not the core.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

Agreed.

For some reason there has been a lot of denial over these allegations in Pakistan. I have been outside of Pakistan for the past 2 months so I can't really understand why this has been the case. I will get back in December so might be able to figure out the real reasons then.

I guess it is hard for people to accept that after a long time (almost a decade after the 2Ws) when we finally had a bowling attack to beat the world the English media stepped in and spoiled the party. I personally thought it was an excellent piece of under cover journalism. One of the best ever. And so the conspiracy stories abound that nobody wants to see us at the top.
Can't wait to go back to the mother land...but soon Inshallah...its a different feeling isn't it.

The saddest part is, i planned my trip so that i could watch the WC...but no games in Pak :down:

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
The only guy i feel is honest, competent or you can say loyal to Pakistan Cricket is Imran. Imran has the education, the personality, the respect to run PCB in a proper way. However, he is in politics and wants to go after the whole country itself and not just PCB.

The whole issue i guess, as i understand it so far is a mixture of things. Its not really one problem. The problem trickles down from the President nominating a favorite person as the chairman of the PCB and then there are no checks and balances on his authority. He is more or less the king of cricket. Even the selection committee can't do anything if the PCB chairman says a certain player shouldn't be selected or should be selected.

So, no 1. the nomination has to be changed to election, no 2. a proper constitution has to be developed which will give certain rights to different bodies with in the board. I.e. the chief selector has the main say in selecting players and not the PCB chairman. Similarly, equal representation has to be given to all the provinces and there local bodies in the PCB. Players should be selected on merit and domestic performance. These can be done if a properly educated person especially in the managerial field comes who has some international or FC level cricket behind him as an asset but his main area must be management. Similarly selectors have to be proper cricketers, coaches etc.

It doesn't matter who comes as a PCB chairman at this point. The system in which PCB is running at the moment, i only see Imran changing that around because he commands the respect and has the brains which can turn things around in PCB but what happens when he leaves and is done..the next guy walks in to take over all authority, i can trust Imran with such authority but not other random people.... So, at the end of the day what really needs a change is our overall socio-political culture and it will trickle down to cricket automatically.

I don't see bringing in former players other then Imran would make a difference, even Imran's presence will bring temporary change, because anyone coming in after, will stick to the status quo and just change the face of the PCB a bit not the core.
Cheers, from what you are saying, it seems a very complicated process that needs strong leadership, at the end of the day the Cricket World needs a strong Pakistan for the good of all cricket.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Massive kudos to Afridi and Waqar for holding the Pakistani team together amidst this **** storm. Assuming Pakistani cricket continues you'd hope these two would be in the setup for some time to come. Afridi to be Test captain again? Surely his team needs him, bat at 7 or 8 and bowl two spinners.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I agree that the Pakistan fans on here are first rate,but I've got to say that, after reading the comments on the well known Pakistan forum I was left in some what disbelief, at the hate addressed to England fans,the ECB and English people in general,I left wondering, are they reading and watching the same things as me.
Ofcousrse on a site that is specifically targeted towards just one country/team fans you will have a segment which will cry of conspiracy and show massive fan boyishness usually these fans are a minority but also unfortunately have the ability to make the most noise. I am in Pakistan and I do agree that some people are hell bend upon blaming the English media and its board but in the majority most of the negative reaction has been directed towards the suspended players and the cricket board top mangement.

Faisal1985

Cheers, from what you are saying, it seems a very complicated process that needs strong leadership, at the end of the day the Cricket World needs a strong Pakistan for the good of all cricket.
And i quite hopeful that some massive changes are around the corner...it is a long process and a very big change....but its required more then ever.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From The Observer. An olive branch from Darrell then... :ph34r:
Seems fair enough to me. I can't imagine what it's like being a player or official up against that lot, knowing all the things going on and seeing the ICC conjure up whitewashes to protect them and turning a deaf ear the rest of the time. Then you've got the PCB and it's extremist persecution complex. And I'm sure there's a hell of a lot more going on than what's been highlighted so far.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seems fair enough to me. I can't imagine what it's like being a player or official up against that lot, knowing all the things going on and seeing the ICC conjure up whitewashes to protect them and turning a deaf ear the rest of the time. Then you've got the PCB and it's extremist persecution complex. And I'm sure there's a hell of a lot more going on than what's been highlighted so far.
I don't necessarily disagree with Hair (although tarring all Pakistan players with the same brush doesn't sit well) & he's spot on about the double standards regarding video evidence, but I just thought it couldn't be too long before the fat blowhard had his tuppence worth.

Hair was rather hung out to dry by the ICC tho and I think subsequent events will undoubtedly colour the prism through which Ovalgate is now viewed.

smash84

The Tiger King
Can't wait to go back to the mother land...but soon Inshallah...its a different feeling isn't it.

The saddest part is, i planned my trip so that i could watch the WC...but no games in Pak :down:
Insha Allah.....Definitely a different feeling my friend. I can't wait to eat the naans and the niharis and the biryanis........it makes my mouth water just to think of all those goodies.....mmmm

And my experience in watchind ODIs in Karachi has been really bad. Whenever I have been to the stadium (it is such a hassle to get in and out) I have found Pakistan to lose out to the opposition. Quite annoying really :)...........