• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2016/17

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Obviously he should've an early wicket but even so, Starc's ODI new ball spells this season have been way below his usual standard; no opening spell wickets in 5 ODIs pretty remarkable considering his ability.

Ironic that just a couple of days after Arthur blasted his side for their 90s style batting, Oz put in one of their stodgiest home ODI batting performances for many a year. Sure, wickets falling played a part but even during that lengthy Smith/Wade partnership it felt like something from the Taylor era.

Being at the ground, Pakistan certainly seemed more purposeful than prev on this tour and more aggressive field placings. All up, good for both sides that this result occurred; Oz had more soft ODI home series recently than you can count and at least this will challenge them more than usual.

Victor Ian

International Coach
A very enjoyable win for Pakistan. I love when teams win ODI's through good bowling. Such a good answer to being told you are not worthy of touring.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Obviously he should've an early wicket but even so, Starc's ODI new ball spells this season have been way below his usual standard; no opening spell wickets in 5 ODIs pretty remarkable considering his ability.

Ironic that just a couple of days after Arthur blasted his side for their 90s style batting, Oz put in one of their stodgiest home ODI batting performances for many a year. Sure, wickets falling played a part but even during that lengthy Smith/Wade partnership it felt like something from the Taylor era.

Being at the ground, Pakistan certainly seemed more purposeful than prev on this tour and more aggressive field placings. All up, good for both sides that this result occurred; Oz had more soft ODI home series recently than you can count and at least this will challenge them more than usual.
Firstly, congratulations to Pakistan for the deserved win.
But to me the batting performance raises more questions about Marsh, Maxwell and on that performance, Head, than it does Smith and Wade, who at least tried to apply themselves on the trickier than normal ODI pitch.
And might I just say, I've really enjoyed watching the last two ODIs in Melbourne? Why is that so?
Because the batsmen have to work damn harder than normal on what have been two-paced pitches, instead of the usual batting dominant ODIs that have become the norm. I think it would be great if batsmen were made to work harder and learn how to construct innings instead of simply blasting them and giving the bowlers nothing to work with. A bat and ball contest will make ODIs exciting again.
Sure Smith and Wade might have made it look more difficult than what it was. But if it were not for these two then we would have scored a much lower score, and Warner showed that if you apply yourself and stay out there for long enough, you can get yourself runs on the board; really, Warner's display on that pitch and in that match was a masterclass of a performance, but it was disappointing that he didn't repeat that display.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lynn and Marsh injured. Could be a new batsman or 2 called up for the rest of the series. Probably SMarsh I guess.

Blocky

Banned
Has Bailey really fallen that far from grace that even in this situation he's not an automatic selection back in?

Zinzan

Has Bailey really fallen that far from grace that even in this situation he's not an automatic selection back in?
Seems similar to Voges, when it's an older player who loses their spot temporarily, seems there's no looking back.

Blocky

Banned
Seems similar to Voges, when it's an older player who loses their spot temporarily, seems there's no looking back.
Failing against NZ seems to be the ultimate sin for Australian cricket I guess. A shame cause he's hit some good form in the Big Bash and the cupboards are getting reasonably bare due to injuries/lack of form

adub

International Captain
tbf, the only real purpose of most ODIs is a preparation for the World Cup. They're forgotten the day after they finish. We'll be talking about SA beating us 2-1 in the Test series for years. The 5-0 ODI win finished being budgie cage lining weeks ago.

So it makes sense to be looking at developing guys for the next World Cup now, rather than bothering with seeing close a guy who isn't going to make it that far can get. We can lose every ODI from here until the WC, and who will give a flying **** so long as we make it 5 from 6?

Burgey

Yeah I really don't think NZ even features on Australia's cricketing radar, and nor should it frankly. Just a stepping stone and a tune up on the way to better opposition. Much like the Wallabies are for the All Blacks, except it applies in all forms of cricket, limited overs and tests.

These ODI series atm are good for giving the selectors a look at some younger blokes, and also good for the lesser nations to have a rare shot at putting up a contest against Australia, which they so rarely do. It gives them some false hope in between WCs before they're usually dispensed with easily when it really matters.

Blocky

Banned
That's fair in regards to test cricket, but to be honest, the past ten years, the Kiwis have probably been one of the harder challenges for Aussie in the limited overs stuff and one of the few teams you can't always beat at home.

You make a good point about ODI Cricket though, in effect, basically meaningless except for 30-60 days once every four years... begs the question why they even bother with it anymore.

Zinzan

Yeah I really don't think NZ even features on Australia's cricketing radar, and nor should it frankly. Just a stepping stone and a tune up on the way to better opposition. Much like the Wallabies are for the All Blacks, except it applies in all forms of cricket, limited overs and tests.

These ODI series atm are good for giving the selectors a look at some younger blokes, and also good for the lesser nations to have a rare shot at putting up a contest against Australia, which they so rarely do. It gives them some false hope in between WCs before they're usually dispensed with easily when it really matters.
It's not the same when it comes to the ABs and Wallabies at all considering the Wallabies are NZ's 2nd most challenging opposition after South Africa in terms of winning % against us.

I do think you being a bit hard on NZ when it comes to ODIs though, considering in the last 5-10 years or so, they've really only been behind SA & India of the sides outside Australia. NZ have been better at ODI than England, Pakistan, WI & SL for quite some time now, saying nothing about the fact they played you guys in the WC final.

Burgey

That's fair in regards to test cricket, but to be honest, the past ten years, the Kiwis have probably been one of the harder challenges for Aussie in the limited overs stuff and one of the few teams you can't always beat at home.

You make a good point about ODI Cricket though, in effect, basically meaningless except for 30-60 days once every four years... begs the question why they even bother with it anymore.
Yeah they need to do something to bring in crowds, maybe offer very low seating prices as an example. I can't see administrators getting rid of these sorts of series because apparently they still generate the greatest revenue in terms of TV adverts. So in that sense they're probably here to stay, as much as we don't like them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TV ratings were still fantastic last night, even if the crowd wasn't super - don't know what it was, I was there but missed it going up on the screen.

TheJediBrah

TV ratings were still fantastic last night, even if the crowd wasn't super - don't know what it was, I was there but missed it going up on the screen.
I didn't see it either. Saw just about every one of the patrons on the screen trying to dance at some stage though so if you add those up I'm sure you'd get close to the official attendance.