• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taylor WAG. Pretty interesting day and a good one for England to boot.

So weird to think he played those tests before Root had even debuted.

Yeah, he's a genuine chance IMO. Depends whether the selectors have faith in Moeen to perform as part of a four man attack or be in the top 7 with no all-rounder sort at 8. He's never done either before.

Edit: Hadn't thought about Woakes' injuries though. If he's currently fit he could really do with trying to get some first class cricket lined up for the next month.
Moeen at 7 and playing as the 5th bowler is pretty much the perfect position for him, I would have thought Broad and Wood at 8 and 9 is ok given that Broad is looking a bit more like a batsman again these days. It will be real shame is Stokes is to miss South Africa though.

Taylor should have been playing all series and Moeen opening was always a terrible idea but overall I don't think the selectors have done that bad a job since the 5-0 in Australia.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I don't see what's all that bad about a Broad - Wood - Finn - Anderson tail anyway. If you're that concerned about your lower order, I'd pick Plunkett if Woakes isn't available.
Yeah, the only issue is Moeen isn't the best number 6 in the country, he's in their for his bowling mainly. It's not awful, but I'm just going on the precedent of the 2014 India series as much as anything.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Was Patel bowling the bulk of the overs a result of Rashid being pants in the first innings and Moeen turning it the other way, though? Lots of captains are willing to bowl inferior bowlers over their 'main' spinner to keep the ball turning away from the bat, so that could explain it to an extent. I'm guessing that's why, over in the WI/SL series, Warrican had bowled about 15 overs on debut before they even threw Bishoo the ball.

Also, was Patel quicker through the air than the other two? Again, some skippers seem to prefer to bowl more overs from a quicker spinner in the SC, even if they aren't the primary one -- thinking along the lines of the Swann-Panesar partnership in India 2012 here, where iirc Monty bowled a lot of overs as a 'stock' spinner while Swann was the attacking option.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lots of captains are willing to bowl inferior bowlers over their 'main' spinner to keep the ball turning away from the bat, so that could explain it to an extent. I'm guessing that's why, over in the WI/SL series, Warrican had bowled about 15 overs on debut before they even threw Bishoo the ball.
I think you're more or less right with Samit, but Warrican and Bishoo turn the ball the same way, so bad example.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, the only issue is Moeen isn't the best number 6 in the country, he's in their for his bowling mainly. It's not awful, but I'm just going on the precedent of the 2014 India series as much as anything.
Yeah there's nothing wrong with that lower order, but Moeen will probably bowl as many overs as the fourth seamer.

We were talking in the Australia/NZ thread about the Andrew McDonald role of batting eight and being the fourth seamer in South Africa while one of the top seven bowled off spin, and that's pretty much the exact situation we've got here. If Moeen's going to bat in the top 7 I think the fourth seamer has to be somewhat of an allrounder to really justify his place.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah there's nothing wrong with that lower order, but Moeen will probably bowl as many overs as the fourth seamer.

We were talking in the Australia/NZ thread about the Andrew McDonald role of batting eight and being the fourth seamer in South Africa while one of the top seven bowled off spin, and that's pretty much the exact situation we've got here. If Moeen's going to bat in the top 7 I think the fourth seamer has to be somewhat of an allrounder to really justify his place.
Yeah, really good comparison actually. North was much more of a proper bat than Moeen too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interview with Anderson on Sky

'How will England have to bowl to force a result here?'

'I think we'll have to bowl... well?'

cheers jimmy

Niall

International Coach
Babar should enjoy this test, because if Pakistan have any sense this will be his last game, so painfully mediocre.:@