• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

91Jmay

International Coach
Fingers crossed for Stokes. The real question mark over Taylor remains quick bowling rather than county trundler seamers. I guess that question will be getting answered in the next couple of months. I do have sympathy with the selectors in the sense I remember the bad old days of the revolving door and not giving players time to either succeed or fail. To a degree Bell and Bairstow have improved as the series has progressed, so the two previous games have probably resulted in the right player getting the bullet in Buttler.

The spinner slot look more interesting after the first innings. Patel bowled the most overs, so has he become the preferred spinner? I think Ali is the best bat of the 3, although he was always going to be an abysmal opener. Patel is probably more of a decent number 8, rather than a real all rounder with the bat. I think county form and the little test cricket so far shows Rashid to be very inconsistent with the bat, but probably somewhere in the middle of the other 3. Patel is probably the steadiest of the spinners, so the most likely to tie up an end. Rashid is the one who could rip through the tail, given a spinning wicket in the fourth innings, but I think will always struggle to bowl economical spells in a first innings. Ali for me is still a work in progress ... but despite everything has more wickets and a lower average in this series so far than Rashid (8 at 46 vs 7 at 66). I don't see it as an easy call for South Africa, but I think they'll stick with Ali on the basis he was prepared to open when required, spin is unlikely to play a big part in the series and hopefully they take a spin bowling coach (Bracewell?) to try and further his development. There might be a case for not playing a spinner at all in South Africa if Stokes isn't fit, with 4 seamers and 10 overs a day from Root ... although that could be a risky ploy with his back problems. As I don't see Rashid or Patel as anywhere near a number 6 bat that may also be Ali's way to stay in the side if Stokes is out. I guess a fit Ansari might still up as a left field option as he is a potential top order batsman and his bowling did improve significantly last season.
Patel can't tie down an end, he bowls too many four balls.

smash84

The Tiger King
How much of a lead can pakistan hope to give and realistically expect to set England a target of at least 200 in the final innings?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
England is likely to get 50+ lead. Yasir and co. must make sure it doesn't become 100+. After that, it's upto the batsmen to stand up and deliver and post a 250+ target for the 4th innings.

Last edited:

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Patel can't tie down an end, he bowls too many four balls.
I don't disagree ... I just think he's marginally more likely to do it as both the others bowl so many. In all honesty I see very little between the three of them, which is why I would slightly favour Ali as I think he is the more likely to score some runs on a regular basis when not opening.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They might go

6 Bairstow
7 Moeen
8-11 seamers

if Stokes isn't fit for South Africa. Woakes could get a game
I agree, no idea how fit Woakes is now after his troubles of last season and whether he is a viable option at present but I wouldn't be upset if they chose him as Stokes replacement. I guess 3, 4 and 5 will be Bell, Root and Taylor so we just need an opener.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
I agree, no idea how fit Woakes is now after his troubles of last season and whether he is a viable option at present but I wouldn't be upset if they chose him as Stokes replacement. I guess 3, 4 and 5 will be Bell, Root and Taylor so we just need an opener.
I think that's probably how they'll go, perm 2 from Woakes, Finn and Wood. Wouldn't be surprised if Woakes got in as the best bat of the 3.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Taylor WAG. Pretty interesting day and a good one for England to boot.

I know he is on just 37 but I'm really pleased for Taylor - Can't believe he hasn't played a Test since 2012.
So weird to think he played those tests before Root had even debuted.

They might go

6 Bairstow
7 Moeen
8-11 seamers

if Stokes isn't fit for South Africa. Woakes could get a game
Yeah, he's a genuine chance IMO. Depends whether the selectors have faith in Moeen to perform as part of a four man attack or be in the top 7 with no all-rounder sort at 8. He's never done either before.

Edit: Hadn't thought about Woakes' injuries though. If he's currently fit he could really do with trying to get some first class cricket lined up for the next month.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
News on Stokes - all that's been ruled is that he won't bowl in the second innings. No comment on whether he could bat.

Safe to say, hope he doesn't have to

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
He'll bat 11 and dead bat it for whoever is batting at the other end in the first innings - and the same in the second if England are anywhere close imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Taylor WAG. Pretty interesting day and a good one for England to boot.

So weird to think he played those tests before Root had even debuted.

Yeah, he's a genuine chance IMO. Depends whether the selectors have faith in Moeen to perform as part of a four man attack or be in the top 7 with no all-rounder sort at 8. He's never done either before.

Edit: Hadn't thought about Woakes' injuries though. If he's currently fit he could really do with trying to get some first class cricket lined up for the next month.
I just hope they don't pick Jordan at #8 as an 'allrounder' as the cop out option halfway between a proper fourth seamer and a proper allrounder. I'd definitely pick Woakes if he was fit.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I would prefer Rashid. He could be a big factor when it comes to helping win England games in the second innings.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just hope they don't pick Jordan at #8 as an 'allrounder' as the cop out option halfway between a proper fourth seamer and a proper allrounder. I'd definitely pick Woakes if he was fit.
I don't see what's all that bad about a Broad - Wood - Finn - Anderson tail anyway. If you're that concerned about your lower order, I'd pick Plunkett if Woakes isn't available.

smash84

The Tiger King
if pak can bundle england for less than 275 we might have a match on our hands, although the way things stand it seems difficult that pak can restrict them to that score