• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

uvelocity

International Coach
The excitement thing doesn't wash with me, either. The exciting part, the piece of actual play, has already happened. It doesn't necessarily becoming more exciting just because the video ref gives a certain decision, one way or another.
yeah but it encourages, or maybe focuses players on tries rather than on defence, it's a mindset thing, it's a vibe. and 22-20 is more exciting than 8-6. crowd gets to cheer for more stuff too.

ps I found hair on my palms

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
agree

also the time management in NRL is insane. that annoys me too. you just let the clock run and run. like, if the ball isn't in play, the clock shouldn't be running
Many years ago (like late 80s iirc) they did stop the clock every time the ball wasn't in play. It ended up running forever, games were taking as long as bloody AFL matches.

Spikey

you want that billion dollar tv deal you might need to make some sacrifices bro

Spikey

at the very least, stop the clock after the 60 minute mark. i really hate it when there's a close finish and the winning team kicks it out and kills time. feels like such a low blow.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
you want that billion dollar tv deal you might need to make some sacrifices bro
Money isn't the only thing to consider.

I hope the new TV deal does more to promote the game in growing markets, delivers great FTA coverage in established markets and improves the quality of the coverage, preferably by ditching Nein. I wouldn't mind changing a few things to allow for more advertising revenue, but I hope the game doesn't sell it's soul for money. In particular changing the length of the game just to match the length of coverage of an AFL match would be a step too far.

PS, you're a crackpot!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can understand all the controversy over the Inglis try, but it's kind of pointless, it in no way decided the game. The cold hard facts are that NSW didn't even score enough points to beat QLD in the first half. Inglis try irrelevant.
Are you saying that it was 12-10 anyway? And are we assuming that everything plays out exactly the same in the last 8 minutes if there's a 2 point difference instead of an 8 point difference? A two point difference to play for in this time over what is essentially a two try difference?

Everything changes the moment the try is awarded. If it wasn't then we may (or may not) have had a totally different scenario.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can understand all the controversy over the Inglis try, but it's kind of pointless, it in no way decided the game. The cold hard facts are that NSW didn't even score enough points to beat QLD in the first half. Inglis try irrelevant.
Are you saying that it was 12-10 anyway? And are we assuming that everything plays out exactly the same in the last 8 minutes if there's a 2 point difference instead of an 8 point difference? A two point difference to play for in this time over what is essentially a two try difference?

Everything changes the moment the try is awarded. If it wasn't then we may (or may not) have had a totally different scenario.
Have to agree with Cokes here. Being two scores ahead is a huge difference to being one up.

Take the missed Carney pen; were NSW two scores down at that stage there's no way he'd be taking the soft two point option.

Thought it was a windy shout anyway, but can see the logic even if I didn't agree with it.

Inglis's try effectively put the game to bed.

social

Money isn't the only thing to consider.

I hope the new TV deal does more to promote the game in growing markets, delivers great FTA coverage in established markets and improves the quality of the coverage, preferably by ditching Nein. I wouldn't mind changing a few things to allow for more advertising revenue, but I hope the game doesn't sell it's soul for money. In particular changing the length of the game just to match the length of coverage of an AFL match would be a step too far.

PS, you're a crackpot!
Serious question - does such a thing exist in rugby league?

IIRC, established and growing markets are one and the same thing as they are increasing market share in places like NSW but people outside of the traditional heartland still dont give a ****

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You could say the same thing about Union and AFL. The only difference is that those codes have made an effect to establish itself on the non tradition markets and at least developed a niche.

If League made a greater effect in Perth and Adelaide, they could have a niche like Storm and Force. League 5-10 years behind in these potential growing markets, because they made no effect for 5-10 years.

AFL will never be the top sport in Sydney, as the average guy on the street couldn't give a ****. But it has niche because it persisted.

Growth doesn't mean you need to start from a stable position. You can grow from the very bottom.

Last edited:

Burgey

Rapidly coming to the conclusion Greg Inglis is the most devastating outside back I've ever seen.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Rapidly coming to the conclusion Greg Inglis is the most devastating outside back I've ever seen.
At fullback he is devastating. Its so great to see him finally be a danger man for his club during the course of the regular season.

I always thought of him as a big game player, now he is dangerous and excellent nearly every week.

Mister Wright

Typical NSW attitude. When we won the first series of our now famous 6 in a row, we had to score twice in the last 5 minutes to win after a NSW try late in the game. N.S.W. effectively gave up. They should have dug in and tried to win the game, instead they're hanging on a controversial decision (which has been proven by the letter of the law to be a try) as an excuse.

I've lost count of the amount of bets I've lost because the opposition teams have scored two tries in the last five minutes, it can be done.

Son Of Coco

Typical NSW attitude. When we won the first series of our now famous 6 in a row, we had to score twice in the last 5 minutes to win after a NSW try late in the game. N.S.W. effectively gave up. They should have dug in and tried to win the game, instead they're hanging on a controversial decision (which has been proven by the letter of the law to be a try) as an excuse.

I've lost count of the amount of bets I've lost because the opposition teams have scored two tries in the last five minutes, it can be done.
It can be mate, but it's unlikely. NSW still tried to throw the ball around when they had it, You're more likely to come up with one try in that time than two. That's why it made a difference. Just out of interest, how many times have teams come back to score two tries and win the game on the back of a contentious decision at the very back end of the game? It knocks the wind out of your sails a bit. Especially when you've got to get the ball back before you have a crack at the opposition line.

I love how QLD have a mortgage on 'spirit' now you've won 6 in a row too...the old QLD spirit wasn't too evident after a 56-12 loss and 3 series losses in a row. But now it's all we hear about haha The fact of the matter is, NSW will lose more than they win while they don't have a decent halfback - 5/8 combination and QLD have 13 players in the test team. It is nice to have close games though, and last Monday's game was good to watch. There are no excuses for NSW not being able to find players capable of winning games however.

It hasn't been proven by the letter of the law to be a try because of one simple fact - it depends entirely on what Robbie Farah was trying to do with his foot. It comes down to whether you assume he was trying to kick the ball or not. As far as I know, Robbie Farah hasn't said much on the matter yet, if anything. Everyone else is just guessing.

Last edited:

Johnners

fmd we've been atrocious, seems like the whole team bar Mullen has gone backwards this season.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I think bickering over whether or not it was a try is missing the point. It was an awful awful decision in one of the biggest games of League in the year. That's wrong no matter who you support. Maybe it changed the result maybe it didn't, it's still ****ty.

Burgey

Tim Grant with another fine front rower's game this arvo for Penrith. Putting to the more fancied Manly pack and getting it over them. Assuming he didn't go north for a holiday as a 14 year old and is therefore deemed a queenslander, NSW could do worse.

As for last night, both teams very ordinary. Parra should have had a late penalty to level it up, but Sandow trying a shoulder charge when the last line of defense for the winning Dragons try just confirms that he is nothing more than a complete waste of sperm.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Grant with another fine front rower's game this arvo for Penrith. Putting to the more fancied Manly pack and getting it over them. Assuming he didn't go north for a holiday as a 14 year old and is therefore deemed a queenslander, NSW could do worse.

As for last night, both teams very ordinary. Parra should have had a late penalty to level it up, but Sandow trying a shoulder charge when the last line of defense for the winning Dragons try just confirms that he is nothing more than a complete waste of sperm.
He's Penrith born and bred, though i guess if its good enough for Minto...

Pretty stoked right now. Took the little cousins and they're now 3/3 so they think going to the footy means going to watch Penrith win. Its going to be a harsh reality check one day but not this one. Don't need an excuse to be happy with belting Manly though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Once again we don't step up against the lesser sides in comp. Our five worst performances against Eels, Titans, Panther, Roosters and Raiders. Wish we could play the top teams each week. Oh well that was a weekend wasted in Penrith.

Really missed Jason King in the front row and K Foran in the last tackle options. Oh well I have the feelings it going to be another up and down season and then we step up in finals and no one can stop us.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't see much difference in Tim Grant and the other NSW front row options in Woods, Galloway, Snowden, Mannah, Hunt, Tolman and Merrin. High work rate, but don't really bend the line like Queensland options like Hannant, Shillington and Scott.

Though if any of them were given a decent run at origin then just one or two games, then shafted. They could be coached at origin level to bend the line, not just making a million hit ups.

But you know our coaches are too busy whining about referees and expect finished players in straight from the NRL.