• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2011 Season thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Terrible indeed, but sheesh...not just limited to the players either. Surprised Hindmarsh hasn't decked Badger

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must have been a stinker to top Penrith/Wests last week.
Yeah I don't think it was quite that bad. Mind you, Roosters-Cows not much better last night either, and Storm-Sharks arguably worse today.

Lot if tired players ATM. Plenty of scrappy footy about.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking about the lull that the NRL season seems to drop into around Origin and how it could be lessened while keeping Origin strong.

I've never understood why Origin wasn't played on a weekend, 3 weeks straight. I understand the NRL doesn't want standalone Origin weekends, but why does the comp have to be stopped for an Origin weekend. At the moment each team is without their players for 2 weeks, with 3 more weeks affected by players backing up. The whole process drags on for months as well, which doesn't increase the excitement of Origin, but does space out the drag on the domestic comp.

I propose something like this.

Round 14
Friday
Roosters vs Brisbane
Souths vs Manly
Saturday
Origin 1 (Brisbane)
Sunday
Penrith vs Knights
Warriors vs Melbourne
Monday
Parra vs Cowboys
Bye
Raiders, Tigers, Titans, Dogs, Dragons, Sharks

Round 15
Friday
Cowboys vs Warriors
Tigers vs Knights
Saturday
Raiders vs Penrith
Dragons vs Melbourne
Titans vs Roosters
Sunday
Origin 2 (Sydney)
Monday
Sharks vs Dogs
Bye
Manly, Souths, Brisbane, Parra

Round 16
Friday
Titans vs Melbourne
Tigers vs Brisbane
Saturday
Origin 3 (Brisbane)
Sunday
Dragons vs Parra
Dogs vs Souths
Monday
Manly vs Sharks
Bye
Penrith, Cowboys, Knights, Warriors, Melbourne, Roosters

You get Origin on a weekend, teams only three weekends are affected by a lack of star power, with teams only having to manage for 2 games without their stars. No player has to back up for a second game within days of Origin. With one less bye for each team there is essentially an extra round of games for being put on for no extra player burnout. You get three straight weeks of Origin excitement, and the damage to the domestic comp isn't stretched out over a period of two months.

Only downside I can think of is that some games on the weekend will be affected due to Origin. For example the Titans/Melbourne game in round 15 and the Dragons/Melbourne game in round 14 of my example would get poorer than normal crowds you would think. Other thing is that Origin TV ratings might be smaller on a weekend(?) The NRL would need to have some measure of control over scheduling on those weekends too, but that could be built into the contract with the networks without too much trouble.

howardj

International Coach
I appreciate the thought that went into that post, and there are many differing opinions on this subject. However, I personally would like to see Origins sold separately, played on a Sunday night (the highest rating TV night of the week), and played on a standalone weekend.

That way, you maximise the value of Origin, preserve the credibility/fairness of the club competition (by not having teams weakened), and give the blue chip players a decent chance to recover for the next round of matches.

Obvious downside is no league on the Friday and Saturday nights of those weekends. But I'm a big believer in less is more. I don't think you necessarily grieve not having weakened teams running around that weekend on the Friday and Saturday nights. And it's only for three weeks in the season.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Out of interest, what people's take on this:

NRL cracks down on exotic bets | NRL, Rugby League, NRL Scores, NRL Ladder | Fox Sports

and

Match-fixers could face heavy jail time | Other Sports | Fox Sports

TBH I'm glad there is a crackdown on this sort of stuff. If you're going take money from gambling companies, then it needs to be strongly regulated. And besides seeing names like 'Centrebet Stadium', and seeing the logo of a gambling company as a major sponsor of a team is really cringeworthy.

Now I can expect Voltman to tell me to GAGF in 5..4..3 :ph34r:

Mister Wright

Personally I think Origin should stop the NRL competition for 3 weeks. After round 12, there is 3 straight weeks of Origin. The week before you can still have your 8 games. Move your Monday night game to Thursday night. Go into camp on the Monday, play on Saturday or Sunday for three weeks straight and then restart the competition the following week on the Friday night. Nobody's going to care that the club competition has stopped for thee weeks - Origin will be a buzz. Imagine the quality of the last game after the teams have been in camp for 3 weeks. You could select a squad of 20 or 22 and have blokes on standby for injury, clubs won't care because they're not losing players - everyone wins. Season is reduced to 23 games plus finals, can't see it not working.

TV doesn't lose out, because it can be sold as an extra package, plus all the channels can run Origin specials on Friday nights.

Bring it On!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the Bulldogs-Manly game tonight on a freebie and it's like deciding whether to support Hitler or Stalin.

Johnners

Most amusing was that they were still leading with 5 minutes to go....then let in 3 tries.

iamdavid

International Debutant
NSW team for SoO II just announced, looks better than the squad for the first game to me. And if Dugan is ruled out as expected it'll likely get even better, with Hayne moving to fullback, Hopa Jnr to the wing, Luke Lewis to centre and another prop (TLL/Snowden?) coming onto the bench.