• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

Craig

World Traveller
Obviously teams beating Melbourne will get points, but no it's not an automatic 2 points win or lose.

I don't agree with any argument saying Manly (07) and Eels (09) should get the premiership, anything could have happened had they been playing another team in the grand final etc... No way can they retrospectively award the titles to them.
As an Inter fan I don't count the 2005/06 title that was given to them when Juventus got stripped of the title, if I were a Manly or Parra fan then I would be wanting it, but I do agree with you.

Matt Johns hit the nail on the head for mine, when you look at their side and wonder HTF they keep it all together, and you here whispers, but you ignore it, and then bam, this happens.

Cronulla should be happy. means they won't get the wooden spoon :ph34r:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
O RLY?

You actually can't fit Slater, Turner, Inglis, Folau, Quinn, Cronk, Smith, Hoffman, White, Johnson and Crocker all under the salary cap?

Get out of town!

Matt79

Global Moderator
@ Craigos - They weren't stripped of any flags or points, just a big fine and draft penalties. Should have thrown the ****s out of the comp. That was the period when their corrupt racketeering president (not Pratt, the guy a couple before him was also paying rape victims off not to press charges. Wonder whether that counts as a third party payment for the players involved? :ph34r:

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
The worst thing of all this as a fan is that I find it hard to take the last 4 comps seriously now. They all seem tainted. Any game the Storm played, be it in the regular season, finals and grand final, had an impact on the Premiership.

I don't think you can award Manly and Parra the 2007 and 2009 premierships. That's not fair on all the other teams that lost to them in the finals and may have gone on to win the grand final. It also dampens Brisbane's (2006) and Manly's (2008) wins, as the Storm knocked out other teams that could have won.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Actually I don't think it dampens our 2006 win at all, it makes it even more impressive.

Especially when you consider that the Broncos lost to the Storm in the Prelim finals in both 08 and 09.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually I don't think it dampens our 2006 win at all, it makes it even more impressive.

Especially when you consider that the Broncos lost to the Storm in the Prelim finals in both 08 and 09.
I agree with you on that, it is even more impressive and I don't want to take anything away from Brisbane and Manly. They very much deserve their Premierships.

Still, it makes you think what could have happened, that's all. As a Dragons fan, I know we could never beat Melbourne and even lost the 2006 preliminary final to them. And I reckon we would have beaten the Broncos in the grand final seeing as we beat them at Suncorp in the first week of the finals ... :p

And also, whoever wins the comp this year, I reckon there will always linger the fact that Melbourne were stripped of all points.

EDIT: When people mention the Warriors' minor premiership in 2002, I always remember that it was only because the Bulldogs were stripped of their points.

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And also, whoever wins the comp this year, I reckon there will always linger the fact that Melbourne were stripped of all points.
I don't think Melbourne are/were clearly that much better than everyone else this year, Dragons were premiership favourites yesterday and deservingly so imo.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Melbourne are/were clearly that much better than everyone else this year, Dragons were premiership favourites yesterday and deservingly so imo.
Maybe so, but there's always the 'What if?' scenarios. I reckon they were certainties to make the Top 8 and good chances for the Top 4. And with their big stars firing in the finals and all their grand final experience, they were always going to be one of the favourites for the title.

Anyway, I'm not trying to take anything away from Brisbane, Manly and whoever wins this year. Good for them. If the Dragons win I will be ecstatic and won't care less about the fact Melbourne weren't there. But I think in certain people's minds the fact Melbourne weren't a factor will always be there.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Revolting. Absolutely disgusting. Feel completely gypped despite supporting a team that wasn't directly impacted positionally like Manly/Parra etc. (if you don't count our 07 spoon of course :cry:) As someone mentioned a few posts back, I feel like the last 4 years supporting this sport have been tainted.

As angry as I feel, I really hope the game doesn't fail in Melbourne. Hoping we might get a situation where Storm fans stick behind their team and it strengthens rather than weakens the club in the long term, but I doubt that will happen. Gutted :(

Still as is custom at times like this, I have to say dibs on Smith, Cronk, Inglis and Lima. Slater can **** off of course.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Maybe so, but there's always the 'What if?' scenarios. I reckon they were certainties to make the Top 8 and good chances for the Top 4. And with their big stars firing in the finals and all their grand final experience, they were always going to be one of the favourites for the title.
Indeed.

But that's because they cheated.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way Dragons should've been Premiership favourites - they were horrible exposed by the Storm only a couple of weeks ago and have shown nothing to suggest that they have more steel than in previous years

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally hope Inglis and Slater do the honourable thing and play union :laugh:

Tbh, this is a farce and will be no more than the first of many if the NRL are serious

Craig

World Traveller
Paul Kent has just said on the Matty Johns Program that Craig Bellamy will be lucky to last the week. Basically any player and/or coach who had any knowledge, is out, although that might be the least of their worries.