• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe and South Africa 2015

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nessham bowled a brilliant death over in the first ODI, which brought us right back into the game. Kane then takes him off for Henry, who goes for about 15. Madness.
Well you say "takes him off", KW would've probably said bowling someone all of five minutes later is what he'd call "saving them for the clutch".

I'm doubtful of Neesham's death bowling future because I think his general inaccuracy and spearing in low full tosses won't really work against better oppo, but JimmyGS has got a more cunning cricket brain and better variations than Henry, I'll give KW that.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah exactly. Remember when he started his career with a run of single digit scores?

Latham skippered the nz XI to a win over England and has captained his province so there will be some good heads around when baz retires

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well you say "takes him off", KW would've probably said bowling someone all of five minutes later is what he'd call "saving them for the clutch".

I'm doubtful of Neesham's death bowling future because I think his general inaccuracy and spearing in low full tosses won't really work against better oppo, but JimmyGS has got a more cunning cricket brain and better variations than Henry, I'll give KW that.
Neesham could be an interesting death bowling option now that they've slightly relaxed the fielding restrictions in the last ten.

Certainly under the rules we had in the World Cup bowlers very much had to telegraph their plans with their fields, and if they missed their line or length slightly they were hammered, so Jimmy's propensity to slide down leg would've been problematic. He can have slightly more cover for that now though and I'd back him to actually have good plans in the first place above most even if his execution of them was a bit off.

I'd definitely be having a genuine look at it as an option whenever Anderson wasn't playing.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
James Neesham and Ben Wheeler come into the XI. Ross Taylor suffered a blow to the groin in training yesterday and required minor surgery overnight. He has been ruled out of the remainder of the tour. Wheeler comes in for Matt Henry.

This love for Latham to be a permanent future ODI opener is very premature. He could well develop into a fine a ODI opener.

But this was a 100 on a Zimbo pitch with some turn, but nothing else to worry the batsmen, against a Zimbo attack where batting is almost certainly Zimbo's stronger suit in getting the team to a 10th place ranking.

In the context of chasing 230, Tom Latham's innings last night was fine. In the case of displaying to the selectors that he is can do the job which NZ typically want, at the end of 9 overs Latham was 14 runs off 26 balls. NZ RR was 4.3 at that time. If he kicks on and gets a 100, he looks a hero. More often than not, he will not get a 100. If he gets out in the 10th over, it is a bad innings.
Today, dismissed in 10th over for 16 off 29. NZ RR 4.4.

I still stand by my points re Latham. He is still starting his scoring in innings too slowly.

Last edited:

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Not have the 2 first choice seamers be rested and former 1st choice seamer retire?
Yeah,but surely his time is up when Boult and Southee are back and if Wheeler can take their opportunity,and Milne can get fit?All the credit he had built up in his initial stint in international cricket nearly gone by now I feel.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah,but surely his time is up when Boult and Southee are back and if Wheeler can take their opportunity,and Milne can get fit?All the credit he had built up in his initial stint in international cricket nearly gone by now I feel.
Same is happening to Henry. Worried about how they've both been derailed slightly although Henry has more tools than Mitch.

I think most people agree with you. But Milne appears likely to be regularly be injured. Boult and Southee could often be rested for JAMODI. While I am sure Boult and Southee would play ODI series against Aus away, Sri Lanka, UAE, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and such ODI tours away might see one or both of them rested. I'd say SA resting was more about Australia test tour comming up, but maybe include SA in that list.

We need to develop our own Parnell and Tsotobe type players. Regular first choice of the second choice ODI bowlers. I'm not sure McClenahgan ever would be (as I agree with you, he is deadset ordinary to worse) and I suspect that maybe Wheeler, Henry, Wagner and Bracewell would get more usefulness out of this.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I hope mcleakinruns continues to be picked. I also hope he improves. I don't really want boult and southee playing all of these meaningless odis
I don't mind if they play the odd one or two to keep their eye in but really want us to have some alternative bowlers for Pajama cricket.

My ideal attack for odis

Milne
Mcleakinruns
Bracewell
Anderson
Nmac or Sodhi

I think Henry has jumped the shark and haven't seen enough of wheeler

If those bowlers don't work then my back up bowlers would be

Small
Donovan even though he is slow
Mathieson

But in the real world they are paid to play pyjama cricket as well and it is a crucial stepping stone to getting, retaining and regaining IPL/CLP/NatWestBlast/BBL contracts so they will play more than the "odd game". Same for NZC as it knows what Cricket type brings in its revenue and widens its fan base.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't sound too pleasant;

"Ross Taylor suffered a blow to the groin in training yesterday and required minor surgery overnight."