• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Maybe playing for his country brings the best out of Herath, but he has always been tidy but in the last series he picked up lot of wickets.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Just got this emailed from the TAB

"Highest Opening Partnership 1st Innings - Correctly predict which opening partnership will score the most runs and you will cash in.

In the 2nd test between New Zealand and Australia last year, a $10 bet on New Zealand would have returned you $24.50.

Highest Batsman - Pick who you think will score the most runs in any nominated innings.

In the first Australia vs. BLACKCAPS Test in Brisbane last year, Ross Taylor was the top scorer for the BLACKCAPS in both innings. A $10 bet on him for both innings would have returned you $55.00 (1st innings) and $50.00 (2nd innings) respectively.

Next Man Out - For every partnership you'll be given the names of two batsman and the odds of them being the next to be dismissed. Correctly predict who will be the next to be dispatched and you will cash in.

In the 2nd Test between Australia and New Zealand last year, if you'd chosen McCullum over Vettori, a $10 bet would have returned you would have collected $18.50."

I plan to bet on the SL openers to outperform us in every inning. And I plan to bet large. I also plan to bet a lot on the next man out thing. I think I have a good knack for figuring out when a batsman is going to be dismissed. But I don't plan to bet too much on this option as luck is a huge factor.
Good to hear our marketing department is actually coming up with emails that make people want to bet...

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to hear our marketing department is actually coming up with emails that make people want to bet...
The Monkey certainly knows how to describe something in 500 words that would take a normal person about 2.

Given that, I'm surprised this even got sent out.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
This interests me a lot. My club played against his before the SL-Pak Test series. He bowled quite a few overs, and all the batsmen thought he was rubbish. I played a few overs of him and agreed. I barely considered him a club standard bowler.

Then he went out and took 5-for or whatever in a Test against Pak, I couldn't believe it.

Is he actually good, or just had a lucky game?
He was very good when he came, then he could spin it even on glass. Added to that he had that carrom ball than spins in to RHB. He ran circles around Steve Waugh's Aussies in his first series. Later he had a back injury, which prevented the full pivot to get sharp spin. He's definietly not the #2 spinner for SL IMO. Suraj Randhiv, Prasanna and Mendis have a huge scream for that place.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The Monkey certainly knows how to describe something in 500 words that would take a normal person about 2.

Given that, I'm surprised this even got sent out.
I hear the main prize in the next cricket wagering promotion is a cricket stump signed by the Monkey and a passing Wellington Combined Taxis driver.

Polo23

International Debutant
Apparently McCullum will bat 6 and Oram 7. Good move IMO. Looks like the playing 11 is pretty much chosen, assuming Tuffey and Cumming miss out.
Don't think it matters a great deal to be honest. Both are rubbish against spin and both are going to struggle big time. Though, I guess if I had to back one to score a few runs, i'd go with McCullum.

In NZ A news, NZ are 317/9 after day 1 of their first match with Watling scoring 97, How 47, N McCullum 57, Mills 42 and Fulton 40.

Watling doing himself no harm to get a test callup when McIntosh fails.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
This tour will be doing lot of good to NZ if they can draw this series. I know that is very tough task, but we do have some good talented youngsters who can take the game away with some hitting. It becomes tough if NZ batsman go defensive against SRL spinners. NZ batsman should show some aggressiveness otherwise, its going to be one sided affair

On other topic, Malinga is not playing this test series. So, That is a good boost for NZ batsman. However, to capitalize on that, we need some aggressive batsman at the top order who can score runs of bad balls rather than defending for the sake of doing it. NZ will do themselves lot of good if they can score good amount of runs against seamers before the deadly spinners come in. So, I would say, bring Ryder up the order may be No.3 ?

Last edited:

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have a feeling the blackcaps will have one heck of a series, the pitches will suit Vettori and plently of senior players have something to prove.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have a feeling the blackcaps will have one heck of a series, the pitches will suit Vettori and plently of senior players have something to prove.
I hope you are right. I don't want to read any more cricinfo articles about proposals for two tiers of test cricket because we can't give the top countries a good game. I will be thrilled with two draws.

Heres hoping that Watling can be a good test player if he gets selected one day.

Meridio

International Regular
Been looking forward to this series for ages...been seriously cricket deprived in the last few months. Will be massively pissed off if the rain ruins it (joke two test series bollocks :@), especially seeing as I have just successfully negotiated with my flatmates to get Sky.

Think we might've got lucky with Malinga not playing. Sure, he's been out of form, but it just wouldn't be a NZ test series without a ritual collapse to a quick bowler. Oh well, there's always Murali and Mendis.

Last edited:

amar123

Cricket Spectator
mm

If murli and mendis play with thusara... NZ is some serious trouble. Sri Lanka has won 2 back to back test series and i think this one will be 3rd.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This tour will be doing lot of good to NZ if they can draw this series. I know that is very tough task, but we do have some good talented youngsters who can take the game away with some hitting. It becomes tough if NZ batsman go defensive against SRL spinners. NZ batsman should show some aggressiveness otherwise, its going to be one sided affair
Interesting you should say that, because Mark Richardson in the NZ herald was saying basically the opposite (as he would).

I was honoured to be asked to help with formulating game plans to combat the Sri Lankan threat and spent a good chunk of time with the team's video analyst. I've basically told them to "block the proverbial out of it".

I know damned well this won't happen but I am serious about our current crop of attack-minded batsmen improving defensive techniques in an effort to score more runs.

Our team is quite adept at scoring 350 but not often does 350 get you into a dominant position in a test match these days. The missing 150 runs we need more often can only be gained through batting longer and batting longer relies on solid foundations. That foundation is one's defensive ability because, if a batsman trusts his defence, he can play in a sustainable fashion.

This is never more pertinent then when playing in Sri Lanka against their current bowling attack. No one has ever really dominated or nullified Murali by attacking him. While it will be important to be positive against the others of lesser class in the Sri Lankan bowling unit, there must be an acknowledgment that, over five sessions of batting, these bowlers will enjoy times of dominance.
Think he has a point. Sometimes the 'playing positively and aggressively' approach seems to be taken too far, like it's something to aim for in itself, rather than just a means of scoring runs. Yes I got out to an ambitious shot, but at least I was playing positively... etc.

Would be quite thrilled to see guys like Flynn and Ryder, with decent defensive techniques, block the **** out of it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If murli and mendis play with thusara... NZ is some serious trouble. Sri Lanka has won 2 back to back test series and i think this one will be 3rd.
You are probably right, but it's the born right of every NZ supporter to be overly optimistic about our chances.

If Murali is not quite 100%. If Mendis has lost his surprise element. If our openers can last 20 overs. If it's not a raging turner. If Ryder and Taylor have a brilliant series. If our bowlers can get Sangakarra out. And the rest.

Watched some of the highlights of SL vs Pak on youtube the other day, and was good to see Mendis, Herath and Thushura who I hadn't seen much before. Thushura looked pretty decent, though the ball was doing a bit and the Pakistan batsmen were trying to defend everything to cover.

Should be interesting. Wish it would H(hurry)TFU and start.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Predictions?

The much maligned Tim 'The Technique' McIntosh for a century IMO. Have already changed my avatar in preparation.