• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What does the expression even mean - do you have to block out a couple of maidens thus earning the right to have a tonk?
I've got no ****ing idea mate. It's talking a lot without saying anything IMO.

Also, allowing the middle order to express themselves.

This sort of pseudo-political bull**** has to stop. It's cringeworthy in extremis.

Briony

International Debutant
Looks like Levi has overstayed his welcome.

Saw Phangiso in the CL and he looked ordinary. Was the only bowler really taken to the cleaners last night. SA conceded fourteen extra sundries too.

Pretty poor form that the stadium lights fail as well. Might be some time before East London gets another match. Smaller venues like there and Hobart which either can't get their act together or draw crowds deserve to lose international fixtures.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was a remarkable catch in the SA innings. Just saw the highlights. What a brilliant grab. Doesn't get better than that.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The crowds looked pretty good IMO. Wasn't it a sell-out for East London?

How much is the floodlight failure due to lack of investment in these 2nd tier venues and how much is due to mismanagement at the venue?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Guppy! Wins it single handed,.
Indeed it was a single handed run chase

McJerk's answer to the question what was the difference between the two NZ innings was not to name Guptil but just to say that the team had been too aggressive in the last game. "But they are not to be faulted for that".

Anyway can't believe how much the game meant to the NZ squad they were ALL biting fingernails on the sidelines. Seemed like a world cup final.

_Ed_

I obviously haven't forgiven Hesson yet - the footage of him grinning like a lunatic after the win and going straight to McCullum to shake his hand annoyed the **** out of me.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I obviously haven't forgiven Hesson yet - the footage of him grinning like a lunatic after the win and going straight to McCullum to shake his hand annoyed the **** out of me.
Indeed - I saw that handshake as well. irked me too.

Briony

International Debutant
I see kiwi fans are not enamoured of Hesson. Is there some secret bond between he and McCullum which is pissing you all off?

_Ed_

I see kiwi fans are not enamoured of Hesson. Is there some secret bond between he and McCullum which is pissing you all off?
Yeah, something like that.

The way they looked so satisfied with themselves after the win really bothered me, since really they should have been just saluting Guptill and showing appreciation for his effort - which, especially considering his recent illness, was a bloody heroic one.

Briony

International Debutant
Yeah, something like that.

The way they looked so satisfied with themselves after the win really bothered me, since really they should have been just saluting Guptill and showing appreciation for his effort - which, especially considering his recent illness, was a bloody heroic one.
Yes, it's pretty clear that without Guptill NZ would have struggled mightily to win. While SA made errors in bowling and in the field you might also suggested that he was the one who put them under pressure.

He probably wasn't smiling after the first match.

Guptill looks really good when he gets going.

Don't think SA will play Phangiso again.

BeeGee

International Captain
Worst part of the win. Can't stand seeing that gremlin with a smile on his face.

Need a name for Hesson I will work on some options.
"****nuckle Ugly Hemorrhoid Gimptard" works for me. Or Fuhgles (the wonder coach) for short.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I've got no ****ing idea mate. It's talking a lot without saying anything IMO.

Also, allowing the middle order to express themselves.

This sort of pseudo-political bull**** has to stop. It's cringeworthy in extremis.
Yes corporate-style psychobabble sure has crept into sporting language in last 10-15 years. I'm not sure where it came from but there've always been a few in our team who seemed rather enthusiastic about taking it up and then spouting it at every opportunity.

Creeps into the actual cricket too - i.e. last ten years NZ saw a great Australia team regularly score at 4 per over in tests and has been obsessed with that ever since. Phrases like 'positive intent', 'proactive batting', express yourself' and various phrases around 'aggressive batting' creep in, are repeated ad nauseum and somehow become unquestioned orthodoxy.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This was a very unconvincing win.

• dewey wet ball and haze made bowling second way harder
  • Guptill was out LBW twice
  • Only one batsman scored runs
  • Rob Nicol exists

Whats the point of neesham playing if he is only used for his amazing fielding
IDGI either. He's in the side as an allrounder yet Nicol bowls ahead of him.

Last edited: