• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India 2016

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Craig Cumming, Matthew Bell, Aaron Redmond, Roger Twose, Peter Fulton, Tim McIntosh, Matthew Horne, Craig Spearman, Michael Papps

all terrible opening batsmen

and that's just off the top of my head

edit: and Jamie How
Tim McIntosh was decent, should've played more. Cumming was unlucky at times, looked good on tough tours.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone jumping on Guptill's back, did you all forget you had a spud called Peter Fulton playing for you?
We've always had spud openers, the difference with Guptill is the length of his career and the moronic optimism that comes from his ODI career - it's almost as if commentators and coaches themselves can't see the very obvious differences in bowling quality between test and ODIs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just saying Guptill is probably in the top 3 or 4 Test openers NZ have had in the last 15 years . . .
Richardson, McCullum and Latham were all definitely better. Fleming was better when he had a crack too although I'd agree that he doesn't really count. Vincent was better too IMO although we're in more debatable territory now.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Craig Cumming, Matthew Bell, Aaron Redmond, Roger Twose, Peter Fulton, Tim McIntosh, Matthew Horne, Craig Spearman, Michael Papps

Wouldnt put Horne in that list. Better player than record suggests.

Good team bowling effort from NZ but still somehow gave away 40 runs too many for what they put in.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Richardson, McCullum and Latham were all definitely better. Fleming was better when he had a crack too although I'd agree that he doesn't really count. Vincent was better too IMO although we're in more debatable territory now.
Haha yeah the comment immediately hurt because it was pretty much spot on.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wouldnt put Horne in that list. Better player than record suggests.
Haha it's funny that every follower of NZ cricket has their own top order batsman or two with rubbish Test records who they'll always defend as being better than the other spuds in the list, and it tends to different exception for each person.

I'll defend Sinclair and Papps; NZT will defend Vincent and McIntosh; you'll defend Horne; Athlai will defend Guptill; Phlegm will defend Ingram; Hurricane will defend How.. etc etc.

EDIT: Apparently Zinzan wants to go into bat for How as well. :p

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Good call, was just thinking of worse openers we had than Guptill.

If all those players had the same privilege of playing 46 tests, I'd say How, Cumming, Horne, Papps & Spearman would have almost certainly averaged more than Guptill's 28.95.

How had some proper talent.

TheJediBrah

not far off

There's Richardson and Latham, then the rest were either part-time/short-term openers or all about the same as Guptill

That list also shows how good Mark Richardson was compared to the rest. Underrated over the years perhaps.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good call, was just thinking of worse openers we had than Guptill.

If all those players had the same privilege of playing 46 tests, I'd say How, Cumming, Horne, Papps & Spearman would have almost certainly averaged more than Guptill's 28.95.

How had some proper talent.
You're dreaming

Zinzan

Haha it's funny that every follower of NZ cricket has their own top order batsman or two with rubbish Test records who they'll always defend as being better than the other spuds in the list, and it tends to different exception for each person.

I'll defend Sinclair and Papps; NZT will defend Vincent and McIntosh; you'll defend Horne; Athlai will defend Guptill; Phlegm will defend Ingram; Hurricane will defend How.. etc etc.
Not sure if you saw much of Matt Horne, but think you'll find the defense is little more universal for him, in a Bruce Edgar sort of way.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

EDIT: Apparently Zinzan wants to go into bat for How as well. :p
I liked Flynn