• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India 2016

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good call, was just thinking of worse openers we had than Guptill.

If all those players had the same privilege of playing 46 tests, I'd say How, Cumming, Horne, Papps & Spearman would have almost certainly averaged more than Guptill's 28.95.

How had some proper talent.
No point quoting Guptills average really. If on average Guptill actually scored 29 runs each time he came out to bat I think NZ would take it. The problem is he doesn't score and doesn't see out the new ball against good attacks or when NZ need him.

Zinzan

Craig McMillan has his work cut out, 3 gimme wickets, and I include the Latham one.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Haha it's funny that every follower of NZ cricket has their own top order batsman or two with rubbish Test records who they'll always defend as being better than the other spuds in the list, and it tends to different exception for each person.

I'll defend Sinclair and Papps; NZT will defend Vincent and McIntosh; you'll defend Horne; Athlai will defend Guptill; Phlegm will defend Ingram; Hurricane will defend How.. etc etc.

EDIT: Apparently Zinzan wants to go into bat for How as well. :p
Horne had a century in Hobart, a matchwinning one at Lords and a good one in Zimbabwe when Paul Strang was running rings around NZ. He had a major dropoff in his last couple of years and hence the numbers dont look good, but was an integral part of NZ's reasonably competitive side in the Fleming era.

But i digress..

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Horne had a century in Hobart, a matchwinning one at Lords and a good one in Zimbabwe when Paul Strang was running rings around NZ. He had a major dropoff in his last couple of years and hence the numbers dont look good, but was an integral part of NZ's reasonably competitive side in the Fleming era.

But i digress..
Definitely agree, he was good for us for years. From memory his drop-off coincided with Mark Richardson's rise, which was frustrating, because it seemed like we were finally going to have a decent opening partnership for once.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
No point quoting Guptills average really. If on average Guptill actually scored 29 runs each time he came out to bat I think NZ would take it. The problem is he doesn't score and doesn't see out the new ball against good attacks or when NZ need him.
Yeah, indeed, Guptill's biggest problem isn't his average as such, it's how often he gets out super-early.

Zinzan

Leave it to an Australian to salvage things for NZ here
Hoping Ronchi doesn't go into his shell too much since he went public with how disgusted he was with his last dismissal. Needs to remain positive, just not reckless.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I suspect it would've been Latham for you as well even if turned out to have a rubbish Test record.

We all envy you for the fact that your guy turned out okay.
Maybe I'm naive (and the fact that he doesn't seem to be correcting his flaws isn't boding well), but Latham stood out quite comfortably. Less of a soft spot, more of a this guy is the best young prospect we have thing.

Flynn just looked like a guy who was reasonably compact - although he achieved that by never pressing forward or driving. Kinda the anti-Guptill.