• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If I am not mistaken, they cannot play beyond five pm local time, which means there are about forty minutes to go for stumps. I can't see more than eight-nine overs being bowled.
Cricinfo had a comment that play stops at 5:30, but the light may bring the players off earlier. Which would be a relief.

On the other hand, sleeping on their injuries over night could leave both batsmen hardly able to move in the morning.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bad luck Ryder.

This has been another of those 'lose a match in one session' tricks from New Zealand. Really disappointing after the first two tests, but not unexpected.

I know it's 'good for him' for Southee to learn to bat properly, but all I really want to see is him trying to hit sixes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You have the opposition at your mercy with two players in the middle who can barely walk. What does MS Dhoni, the captain of supposedly the number one side, do ? He puts fielders at the boundary and gifts easy singles! He is among the most defensive captains in world cricket today. His captaincy has not been shown up only because he has a very good side. That will change in the near future.
Lol, it's constantly pointed out how rubbish the Indian bowling attack on CW, and yet Dhoni apparently has a very good team.

Make up your mind.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's it. Bit of a shame. Southee was just starting to look quite comfortable. Now he'll have to start all over again tomorrow. Heaven only knows if McCullum will actually be able to come out to bat tomorrow morning. And the pitch is looking very, very good. I know we were unlucky. Had McCullum and Ryder both been fully fit, we may well have ended today at 180/3. But this is still an appaulling effort by the rest of our batsman.

Solid stuff from India's bowlers though. Ohja getting some really nice turn on occasion.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
LOL told ya, Zaheer's absence means jack. Indian bowlers as good as they come when conditions favor them.

But shocking performance from NZ. And no jeets to rescue them either. Innings defeat on cards, tbh.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From Cricinfo

On the debate about runners: "Regarding 'what constitutes injury during the match' the MCC site has the following explaination. Q: If, during the match, a player aggravates an injury sustained before the match, should the umpires regard this as an ˜injury during the current match™, qualifying him for a runner and/or a substitute? Ans: Since umpires have no special medical expertise, they must assume that if a player is nominated he is fit to play. Accordingly, if his condition worsens a substitute/runner can be allowed. If there is any evidence of sharp practice, at that time or later, this would be a matter for action under Law 42."

Looks to me as if the Kiwis would have been allowed runners

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
From Cricinfo

On the debate about runners: "Regarding 'what constitutes injury during the match' the MCC site has the following explaination. Q: If, during the match, a player aggravates an injury sustained before the match, should the umpires regard this as an ˜injury during the current match™, qualifying him for a runner and/or a substitute? Ans: Since umpires have no special medical expertise, they must assume that if a player is nominated he is fit to play. Accordingly, if his condition worsens a substitute/runner can be allowed. If there is any evidence of sharp practice, at that time or later, this would be a matter for action under Law 42."

Looks to me as if the Kiwis would have been allowed runners
Maybe Ryder should've had a runner, but I'm not sure how much it would've helped. McCullum injured himself before the match started, so he clearly wasn't allowed one. Having one fit runner and one crocked one wouldn't have helped the two of them to get any more runs. And Ryder's dismissal was ultimately a product of not being able to transfer his weight properly, and his reliance on boundaries to make runs.

However, it may be telling in the long run when the seriousness of Ryder's injury becomes apparent. If limping up and down the pitch has significantly worsened the condition (which it very well may have), then the umpire's refusing him a runner could have significant longer term effects on New Zealand's performances.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So someone who watched this live - can you explain why we batted first if we knew that McCullum needed time to recover.

Also why is there no discussion on whether Watling should have played. Or is it just a done deal that a half fit McCullum is better than BJ.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So someone who watched this live - can you explain why we batted first if we knew that McCullum needed time to recover.

Also why is there no discussion on whether Watling should have played. Or is it just a done deal that a half fit McCullum is better than BJ.
The pitch is flat, but it was also dry, and even on day one, was offering quite a lot of turn on occasion. Ohja, in particular, got a couple to really grip and rip past the outside edge, from middle stump. Not the sort of surface you'd want to bat last on. I presume the hope was that McCullum's injury wasn't too serious, and that he either wouldn't be needed, or at the very least wouldn't have to bat until tomorrow. It has to be remembered that Vettori only had about 10 minutes in between McCullum hurting himself and the coin toss. Its hard to get a decent assessment on how well a player is going to hold up in that sort of timeframe.

As for BJ, McCullum still scored 30+, and has soaked up a lot of deliveries. It's hard to believe that BJ would've done as well against Ohja and Harby.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well done to McCullum and Southee for salvaging a little pride. Though you'd think we're still pretty screwed unless there's a fair amount of rain this test. I'll be happy if India are not ahead by the end of the second session tomorrow, and very very happy if they're not ahead by the close of play.

Particularly disappointing that Taylor and Vettori failed again - not a good series for either of them so far.

I don't want to think about McCullum and Ryder's injuries - recurring problems for both of them could spell big long term problems.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
mcCullum has allready scored more runs than watling would have. big shame his injury prevented him from opening, the results are there for all to see. collapse.

Blaze 18

Banned
Lol, it's constantly pointed out how rubbish the Indian bowling attack on CW, and yet Dhoni apparently has a very good team.

Make up your mind.

Why are the two mutually exclusive ?

India undeniably have an average bowling attack, maybe slightly above average at best. However, they also have some great batsmen in their ranks, which makes the overall team very good.

M0rphin3

International Debutant

India undeniably have an average bowling attack, maybe slightly above average at best. However, they also have some great batsmen in their ranks, which makes the overall team very good.
It's better than average, Zaheer khan is the best pacer in the subcontinent atm. Supporting bowlers aren't horrible either. So I'd say it's more than handy for a team with such a great batting lineup.

awta btw, Dhoni's captaincy is mediocre at best (in tests).

joels344

U19 Debutant

Minus the bowling duds like Oijha and Sreesanth, India has a rather decent bowling attack.