• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So agree with this to the maximum extent. Prince has been getting right on his high-horse of late, talking about how much better Sydney grade cricketers are than Kiwi first class cricketers based on Rhodes playing 2nd grade in Sydney. How many of these players has he bloody seen? Boring me ****less.
Haha I was taking the piss with the Rhodes stuff tbh. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh FFS. Do you really expect to be taken seriously after posting a list featuring probably 70 percent of players you've never ever seen before?

This is the kind of **** that makes CW a complete laughing stock.
It's not that I literally think every single one of them is definitely better than Guptill - it's just that I don't think a player who has soooo many players with better statistical cases to be selected ahead of him should be anywhere near the side, regardless of talent or aesthetics.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha I was taking the piss with the Rhodes stuff tbh. :p
I thought so initially, but the frequency of the same comment occurring convinced me that you actually believed it. Anyway, his 2 runs off 50-odd balls has proven you wrong. :unsure:

It's not that I literally think every single one of them is definitely better than Guptill - it's just that I don't think a player who has soooo many players with better statistical cases to be selected ahead of him should be anywhere near the side, regardless of talent or aesthetics.
C'mon. James de Terte in there? What sample size makes you happy with your statistics, eh? There's lies, damn lies and Cribb Statistics.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Unfortunately don't think India will be able to force the win today. It's still very much possible, however I have a feeling this pair and then Vettori will hang around long enough to make it nigh on impossible to force a win.

BeeGee

International Captain
So how big are Dan's balls?

If NZ can survive the first hour without losing more than one wicket (and it's a big if) I'd really like to see them push for the win and not just bat for safety. Be aggressive and set India a difficult, but not impossible, total. I'm thinking 270 from 50 overs would be a good target to set. That would give both sides a chance if they're good enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Are there any attacking captains in the international game at the minute though?

With Mahela no longer skipper, I don't reckon there is.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's a necessary fault of always picking your best batsman/allrounder to be captain that more often than not they're just not that great.

I've been told that DJ Sammy is a very effective captain at domestic level, and that's one of the reasons he was taken on. I hope so at least.

Days of Grace

International Captain
So how big are Dan's balls?

If NZ can survive the first hour without losing more than one wicket (and it's a big if) I'd really like to see them push for the win and not just bat for safety. Be aggressive and set India a difficult, but not impossible, total. I'm thinking 270 from 50 overs would be a good target to set. That would give both sides a chance if they're good enough.
As the lead is only 110 now, it will take until tea to get a the lead of 270 you are thinking of.

Declaring before that would be madness, given the state of the pitch and our bowling attack.

BeeGee

International Captain
As the lead is only 110 now, it will take until tea to get a the lead of 270 you are thinking of.

Declaring before that would be madness, given the state of the pitch and our bowling attack.
The lead is currently 115. If NZ could score another 155 runs in 38 overs (that's a RR of 4) then declare, with 2 overs lost due to the change of innings, that would set India a target of 270 in 50 overs.
It would all depend on McCullum batting through, as he would have to be the aggressor to try and score quick runs to get the run rate up before the declaration.

EDIT: It wouldn't be madness. Sure, the wicket is flat and our bowlers aren't great, but that's the point of the declaration: the one thing that can turn a toothless medium pacer into a wicket taker is the pressure to score.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Doubt they'll declare. They'll see Sehwag as too big a risk, I reckon.
Yes absolutely, when the opposition possesses a man capable of scoring so freely, any thoughts of a tempting declaration are put to one side. The best thing is for NZ to gain a healthy lead but be bowled out to really set it up, as I don't think there's a chance of them declaring.

If NZ can take India to Nagpur with the series at 0-0, who knows.

BeeGee

International Captain

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, when you've assembled one of the greatest test teams of all time that attitude is much easier to have.

Unfortunately, Vettori is no Warne and Southee no Mcgrath. New Zealand is a team (no offense) of relatively average test cricketers playing the number one side at home. They should be thrilled with a draw.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You're probably right, but McCullum did have this to say yesterday:
Would just focus on scoring a huge double hundred and piling all the pressure on India to produce a wicket for the 3rd test where a positive result is possible.