• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Kiwis in the box seat for me, remembering they have a bowling attack which understands the concept of line and length.

I should probably add that I haven't seen a ball of this Test match so far, but am simply assuming that Finn and Broad were back-of-a-length and shorter, hence utterly ineffectual. Oh for Graham Onions...

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
England's problem is similar to ours. Got a few too many blokes in the line up who feel they're playing for their place/ to prove themselves all the time.
Really? I'd say it was the opposite. There are probably too many people who are under no pressure who should be. Bairstow and Compton are the only possible people playing for their place a bit with the bat, and Finn is the only one with the ball.

Kiwis in the box seat for me, remembering they have a bowling attack which understands the concept of line and length.

I should probably add that I haven't seen a ball of this Test match so far, but am simply assuming that Finn and Broad were back-of-a-length and shorter, hence utterly ineffectual. Oh for Graham Onions...
He'd have been perfect for this test. Skiddy, pitched up, bit of movement.

Flem274*

123/5
Even stevens imo. Once you get through this pair and Watling we don't have much. If Vettori was lurking at number eight it would be different but we don't have his safety net anymore.

Flametree

International 12th Man
NZ have 20-odd overs before the new ball. Up to McCullum in particular to make the most of that - see off four overs of Anderson tomorrow morning and Cook will probably take him off to save him for the new ball.

In some ways it was faintly reassuring to be be 7-2 once more. Restored my faith that there are some things in the universe that you can rely on....

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If NZ bat badly they'll still take the lead. If they bat moderately they'll get to plunder a load more filth from Broad and Finn - taking a significant lead.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? I'd say it was the opposite. There are probably too many people who are under no pressure who should be. Bairstow and Compton are the only possible people playing for their place a bit with the bat, and Finn is the only one with the ball.

He'd have been perfect for this test. Skiddy, pitched up, bit of movement.
Yeah, in this test you've got those two plus Root who are all in the formative stages of their careers. That's three of your top six....

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo headline made it sound like we were well on top - but it is even stevens at best - I more agree with Bahnz's ghambiring comment - 200 is some ways off for NZ.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Great score to wake up to. Agree with the others who have said it's pretty even given our shaky lower order though. Watling batted pretty well in those warmups so will hopefully continue that.

I expected to see England come at us with all guns blazing after what happened in New Zealand but we're proving again that we're a tough nut to crack. I am surprised that Australia are being written off so much in the upcoming Ashes.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Jesus just seeing the highlights now. How the **** are they getting out to this? Playing inside and outside straight balls. Broad managing to miss a ball that shapes away a little bit by 2-4 inches. Finn planting his foot a mile outside the line of the ball. Just complete and utter garbage.
Lol, highlights out of context.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Sounds like an excellent effort after I went to bed. Looking forward to Broad bitching about how unlucky they were despite bowling it halfway down all day

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Southee had been swinging it consistently before Prior came out to bat. Even if he hadn't faced a ball, he would've been expecting an outswinger. The fact that Southee decided to slip in the cross seamer first ball was a very clever bit of bowling - Prior certainly didn't expect it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think its even stevens, despite England being at a very similar score when they were 4 down.

NZ have had the best of this Test, its only NZ's previous history and ability to collapse and England's ability to not fail in both innings of a match that makes the score appear even.

BTW, that guy coming second in CW's fantasy cricket ain't bad (I should have picked McCullum instead of Rutherford).

Flem274*

123/5
Surprisingly the Scaly tears are ruining the thread.

Bloke needs to put some distance between himself and Onions so his tear ducts get a rest.