• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sigh. Bloody Champions Trophy.

Could have had a Third Test if it wasn't for that miscreant tournament.
No chance, we usually have 7 tests a summer and have 5 against Australia so 2 was all you were ever going to get. be the same next time you come as you are before Australia again.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
No chance, we usually have 7 tests a summer and have 5 against Australia so 2 was all you were ever going to get. be the same next time you come as you are before Australia again.
Yeah, the Champions Trophy only means that a couple of ODI's are chopped off. And I'd much rather have a global tournament than two ODI's against New Zealand in a bilateral series.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
Going really long range, I notice they've slyly pencilled 2 Tests for England's next two tours here, and South Africa's next tour here. Well done everyone.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/DOWNLOAD/0000/0045/ftp_2011_2020.pdf
Yep - things aren't gonna change for us anytime soon - series that will likely take place over New Year break (eg 2013/14), have put in intitial year (2013)

Funilly enough, we are now not scheduled to play Sth Africa away before the end of the FTP cycle in 2020, and only have 2 tests against them at home. Ouch.

2013 (7 more tests)
Away - 2 tests vs Eng
Away - 2 tests vs Bang
Home - 3 tests vs WI

2014 (11 tests)
Home - 3 tests vs Ind (apparently, very likely to only be 2)
Away - 3 tests vs WI
Away - 3 tests vs Pak
Home - 2 tests vs SL

WORLD CUP (9 tests)
Away - 2 tests vs Eng (and I doubt that will change as The Ashes is on that summer)
Away - 2 tests vs SL
Away - 2 tests vs Zim
Away - 3 tests vs Aus (really?!?!)

2016 (11 tests)
Home - 3 tests vs Pak
Home - 3 tests vs Aus
Away - 3 tests vs India
Home - 2 tests vs Bang

Home - 2 tests vs SA
TEST CHAMPIONSHIP IN ENG (would need to be in the top 4 by then... probably not)

PENCILLED IN
Total = 16 test series
2 test series = 8
3 test series = 8

Jezroy

State Captain
The more I think about it, the more I like Guptill at 5 for test matches. I know that's a bit harsh on Brownlie, but I like it, alright?

Fulton
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
Guptill
McCullum
Watling
Bartin
Southee
Wagner
Boult

Would make my NZ "A" first class team something like:

Flynn/Redmond - I'd probably choose Redmond
Papps/How/Raval - I'd go Papps maybe
Latham/MBracewell - Go Latham
Broom
Brownlie
Carlchopa/Munro/Mitchell - Quite like to try Mitchell
Ronchi
Bracewell
Butler
Gillespie
A Spinner - Probably Nethula (I guess Vettori if he keeps playing first class?).

Add to all those players McClenaghan/Ryder (maybe one day, maybe?)/Henry/Neesham/Arnel (still leading FC this year with Gillespie)/Anderson/De Boorder... And it seems to me we have a bit of a pool of players, in fact enough for 3 reasonably good teams (other than spinners still) ie Test team, then NZ A, and one more. Haven't included Franklin/Cartin/Patel/Mills either... As I think they should not play another test between them.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
It would be really good to see yearly series (either home and away) against WI in the future. That would make for at least one competitive series a year alongside the odd good series, and maulings in the sub continent and against the top 3 away.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The more I think about it, the more I like Guptill at 5 for test matches. I know that's a bit harsh on Brownlie, but I like it, alright?
Maybe Guptill could slot into the middle order, maybe, if he bats there for 2 years in FC cricket and gets some consistency down, adapts his game for that area (although it shouldn't be hard because he has no game for a Test opener) and dominates. Meanwhile, Brownlie would have to fail, as would other middle order hopefuls who are floating around the scene.

As it stands Brownlie doesn't deserve to be dropped, and I don't think you're advocating Guptill for #5 in this England series, but if Guptill does get in the middle order ahead of Brownlie (even if Brownlie gets two goldens in the first Test and is dropped for the second) it'll be ****ing dirty.

If the argument is Guptill is more talented than Brownlie and would be better long term, why not just go straight to Corey J?

Jezroy

State Captain
Maybe Guptill could slot into the middle order, maybe, if he bats there for 2 years in FC cricket and gets some consistency down, adapts his game for that area (although it shouldn't be hard because he has no game for a Test opener) and dominates. Meanwhile, Brownlie would have to fail, as would other middle order hopefuls who are floating around the scene.

As it stands Brownlie doesn't deserve to be dropped, and I don't think you're advocating Guptill for #5 in this England series, but if Guptill does get in the middle order ahead of Brownlie (even if Brownlie gets two goldens in the first Test and is dropped for the second) it'll be ****ing dirty.

If the argument is Guptill is more talented than Brownlie and would be better long term, why not just go straight to Corey J?
Or if someone just has a BJ Watling/John Wright/wicketkeeper style hunch about him, he won't need to do ****.

Harsh on Brownlie? Yes. But if they decide they want Guptill in the team at someone else's expense, I would still say that Brownlie is most likely IMO.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Guptill needs some time in the middle so he can sort his game out and play some long innings. Leave him be for a while in domestix imo.

Jezroy

State Captain
Guptill needs some time in the middle so he can sort his game out and play some long innings. Leave him be for a while in domestix imo.
Yes, but if he does get picked in the test squad, he might make an impact in the 2 FC games in the lead up (especially if BMac and Taylor stay in India until the last possible moment).

Longshot I know, and not necessarilly that I agree with it 100%, but it's just a theory.

Pretty much the team from Eden Park is the one that deserves to start that first test.

Flem274*

123/5
Unless he makes a double hundred in the tour game against a decent bowling line up I wouldn't consider him at all. Even then I don't think he'd get in for the England series. Someone would need to fail.

Jezroy

State Captain
Hopefully our magnificent fast bowlers (just doing a WW there) can find swing with the Duke balls.

Any idea what the big difference is between these and the Kookaburra's? Heard something about the lacquer on the Duke's that take about 10 overs to come off AND THEN they swing?

Maybe Wagner will open the bowling?

Jezroy

State Captain
Boult and Southee swung the Duke earlier than the 10th in the West Indies. That's also where Doull reported Wagner was earning the ire of his fellow seamers for taking chunks out of the shiny side.
Aaaaaaaah - they have the Duke in the Windies.

I wonder if WAGner will get dropped if he does that again.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England performance squad for the summer.

1. Alastair Cook (Essex) Test and One-Day Captain
2. Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire) T20 Captain
3. James Anderson (Lancashire)
4. Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
5. Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
6. Ravi Bopara (Essex)
7. Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
8. Danny Briggs (Hampshire)
9. Jos Buttler (Somerset)
10. Nick Compton (Somerset)
11. Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
12. Steven Finn (Middlesex)
13. Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
14. James Harris (Middlesex)
15. Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
16. Michael Lumb (Nottinghamshire)
17. Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
18. Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
19. Graham Onions (Durham)
20. Monty Panesar (Sussex)
21. Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
22. Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)
23. Matt Prior (Sussex)
24. Joe Root (Yorkshire)
25. Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
26. James Tredwell (Kent)
27. Chris Tremlett (Surrey)
28. Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)
29. Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
30. Luke Wright (Sussex)

No great surprises. Bopara getting in is disappointing. I was hoping we wouldn't see him for a bit. Kieswetter I guess is the other who presumably won't be involved in any squads. Everybody else you can see being in one squad or another.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taylor, and IMHO Hildreth the unluckiest there. I mean Lumb in just because he may play some t20, bleh.