• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
TH was talking about Trott to watch etc earlier and then you said this:

Which is the line of thinking I'm taking exception to. It's bull****.
You're chasing 360 not 280. You just were not going to win with Trott batting line this. You happen to be getting absolutely belted because the others Cook and Bell have also batted like ****. But I am talking about winning, not "not losing badly".

If you want to rely on 2 batsmen scoring above 100 strike rate when chasing a score of 360 then you're in strife. Lucky the next World Cup isn't on the subcontinent!

Spark

Global Moderator
You're chasing 360 not 280. You just were not going to win with Trott batting line this. You happen to be getting absolutely belted because the others Cook and Bell have also batted like ****. But I am talking about winning, not "not losing badly".

If you want to rely on 2 batsmen scoring above 100 strike rate when chasing a score of 360 then you're in strife. Lucky the next World Cup isn't on the subcontinent!
Yep. It's about the run rate. Not the individual strike rates. It's about the team requirements, not what looks good for you statistically.

thierry henry

International Coach
Surely you acknowledge that in a chase of 360 Trott has too bat quicker, just like the rest of the batsmen too as well?

Anyway I'll leave it here since Trott is about to ton up and it'd be lame to discuss it in a negative point.
But Trott is going to get to about 100(100). As I pointed out, Ross Taylor made 117(127) in a successful chase of 340 without a breath of criticism.

A run-a-ball century in a big chase is rarely an example of excessively slow scoring and I don't think it was in this case. Trott was going ok but no-one went with him and no-one was able to provide the necessary fast-scoring cameos to complement him either.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I usually don't think slow scoring in run-chases gets enough criticism but he's not scoring slowly by anyone's standards, he's striking at almost 100. Maybe he was scoring more slowly when the conversation began but now it just seems properly odd.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But Trott is going to get to about 100(100). As I pointed out, Ross Taylor made 117(127) in a successful chase of 340 without a breath of criticism.

A run-a-ball century in a big chase is rarely an example of excessively slow scoring and I don't think it was in this case. Trott was going ok but no-one went with him and no-one was able to provide the necessary fast-scoring cameos to complement him either.
He probably should stop anchoring the innings once England are 5 down. :ph34r:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Is that meant to be an excuse? Players like Buttler and Woakes were picked in large part for their batting and they both looked clueless. Jos in particular shouldn't be panicking at such a large total, his failure was so disappointing.

Edit: Meant to quote Spark, damn this new interface.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Oh stop talking rubbish, he's not just scored at Taunton, and his overall 50 over record is why he was selected.

Oh and more trottsfault stuff, he nearly is hitting at 100 now, and our bowling was much worse we had denbach and woakes bowling. The rest of us have been ****.
Don't tell me to stop talking rubbish you prick, he isn't up to it at the higher level. 29th international and he has performed once so far. Makes Bopara look international class.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I usually don't think slow scoring in run-chases gets enough criticism but he's striking at almost 100. Maybe he was scoring more slowly when the conversation began but now it just seems properly odd.
Well he was. Usually you're the one leading the charge - you did so many times against Michael Clarke. Pretty confident you would have done so here.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely you acknowledge that in a chase of 360 Trott has too bat quicker, just like the rest of the batsmen too as well?

Anyway I'll leave it here since Trott is about to ton up and it'd be lame to discuss it in a negative point.
Trott's only got to bat quicker because the other guys aren't doing their job. Our best chance of winning this game was by Trott doing what he's doing, perhaps marginally quicker. If Trott does a (some-what smaller) Guptill and gets a 110(110) or something, then he's done his job.

We weren't going to win this game by every scoring at a SR of 125 from ball one. Somebody needs to play the long game and everyone else plays around him. Once Buttler got out he probably should've just thought **** it and teed off but before that point our best chance of winning was with Trott sticking it out until the end. a 65(50) from him would've just been meh.

thierry henry

International Coach
He probably should stop anchoring the innings once England are 5 down. :ph34r:
He has, his s/r has climbed nicely

To me it looks like he's played just the right innings and the innings he was trying to play all along, but without any help from his mates

You could argue he should've given up on his teammates earlier on an tried for a match-winning 200(140) on the assumption everyone else would fail, but that's probably clutching at straws a little bit

flibbertyjibber

Have you actually watched him though? Success is never certain but it is really not hard to see that he is a special talent.
Some talent, an average under 10 in Odi's. That is ok though. Bedwetter got slaughtered but he looks more of an international than Buttler.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trott's only got to bat quicker because the other guys aren't doing their job. Our best chance of winning this game was by Trott doing what he's doing, perhaps marginally quicker. If Trott does a (some-what smaller) Guptill and gets a 110(110) or something, then he's done his job.

We weren't going to win this game by every scoring at a SR of 125 from ball one. Somebody needs to play the long game and everyone else plays around him. Once Buttler got out he probably should've just thought **** it and teed off but before that point our best chance of winning was with Trott sticking it out until the end. a 65(50) from him would've just been meh.
Nope this innings is totally meh