• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@ggg
I can't comment on the last match but can on the first as lord kippax posted the dismissals.

I would say he was on a hiding to nothing opening the batting on that pitch. He got out to genuine corkers. If I recall correctly or IIRC for the CW stalwarts out there.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
My bad on that really destroys a part of my argument/ranting :(
Nah, think you were about right in your initial assessment that he'll "only" miss out on $10k. If KW had left a week earlier and missed a couple of games, then he - strictly speaking - would've been foregoing about $20k of his standard salary. But - as I understand it - IPL players only get 75% of their agreed salary for the matches that they spend sitting on the sideline. Throw in the money that goes to the tax man and you'd have about 10k left.

GGG

State Captain
Right, first innings Wellington were difficult conditions as well. Yeah silly to drop him now, just my NZ cricket pessimism coming out,

GGG

State Captain
If Anderson is not fit who do we go with? Do we even have a backup all-rounder in the squad?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Right, first innings Wellington were difficult conditions as well. Yeah silly to drop him now, just my NZ cricket pessimism coming out,
He does have flaws mind you. As an opening batsman you must learn to imperceptibly draw the bat back inside the line of the one that seams away. It is very hard to do, and is a reason why there are so few successful opening batsman.
Tom does not have that skill at the moment and needs to get better at last millisecond leaves.

He simply has to learn.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's really strange then that he didn't have a bat yesterday.
May've just not wanted a Cricinfo headline catching the eye of the IPL technical committee there. The broken finger was on the left hand, but he was unlikely to make Cricinfo headlines with the ball it seems.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"the greatest skill an opening batsmen can have is knowing how to miss the ball properly"
Good call, although there is some skill in holding one's shot with soft-hands and not chasing the ball. eg. Mark Richardson & John Wright.

The greatest 'play & miss' exponents wouldn't be a bad thread.

Zinzan

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson
Watling
Craig
Henry
Southee
Boult

Looking likely.
I'm hoping you're right, the Worcs players certainly rated Henry as the most difficult bowler they faced. Have a horrible feeling McHesson will go with Bracewell as the incumbent or even Wagner. Hope I'm wrong.. Henry with a duke-ball at Lords is a mouth-watering proposition.

Zinzan

The long term forecast isn't looking too bad. Average precipitation probability for the week at 10%.