• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

vandem

International 12th Man
For some reason our selectors prefer village cricketers like Nicol, and Devcich (to a lesser extent) than proper players like Rutherford.
and Watling ...

I don't understand the tentativeness (apart from Devcich). It's only a 33 over innings. We bat down to Neesham at 9 and Mills at 10. Top order should try and play a few attacking shots, not push and poke for the odd single.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It really was hard to understand why Nicol and Ellis of all people were called into this squad as last minute replacements - I thought we were finally shot of them.

Rutherford in ODIs perhaps not the best example of a proper player though.

... and that was horrible from Elliott.

vandem

International 12th Man
.. Nicol still at the other end too.
Thanks goodness not for long.

1* (7), 0 (1), 1 (12).

Would have been terrible if he'd got a scratchy 40 (50) and stayed in the reckoning as a ODI player.

And gives Ronchi and Jimmy a chance for a decent bat.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It frustrates me when teams like NZ in this situation decide they have no chance of winning so just decide to bat for a respectable total. Go hard or go home.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a trial game too tbh, JimmyGS in particular would know it.

Bolster that ODI average of 6 to something more reflective of your ability, win Kippax his 7/1 bet.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's just a ridiculous miscalculation by the officials. Would've struggled to make it through a 27 over a side match, let alone 33.

stumpski

International Captain
I know it's not a World Cup final or anything, but it does seem ridiculous that international matches are still being played on grounds without floodlights.

'Bad light stopped play' should never be a feature of ODIs.

vandem

International 12th Man
That's just a ridiculous miscalculation by the officials. Would've struggled to make it through a 27 over a side match, let alone 33.
Yes, but both teams knew that, commentators mentioned it when NZ were over time when bowling. So NZ true target was always the DL mark somewhere between 20 - 25 overs. MoM = Matthews for getting his spinners to rip through to 20 over mark.

vandem

International 12th Man
And a series which showed that Anderson and Neesham and Latham have the goods, that Nathan Mc still has a contribution to make. Ronchi and Munro still in limbo. Village-style cricketers shown up badly.

BeeGee

International Captain
yet one that sl took seriously
Yet SL only managed a 1-1 draw at home against the worst ODI team NZ have ever fielded.

NZ certainly weren't taking it seriously or they wouldn't have rested their best players.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
... against the worst ODI team NZ have ever fielded.
I was going to say "what about the 2003 tour to Pakistan when Astle + Fleming etc stayed home and we lost 5-0", but checked that team and it included Hamish Marshall, Cairns, Harris, Oran, B Mac and Vettori ... so I'd agree.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was going to say "what about the 2003 tour to Pakistan when Astle + Fleming etc stayed home and we lost 5-0", but checked that team and it included Hamish Marshall, Cairns, Harris, Oran, B Mac and Vettori ... so I'd agree.
That was when Hamish Marshall was "discovered" I believe; batted well despite mediocre domestic returns and was given a run in the proper team as a result.

Sinclair played that series too. I recall a slow 55 batting at about five to save the team after the top order had been rolled. WAG.

BeeGee

International Captain
Mills would have given his left nut to have players like Cairns, Oram or Vettori.

He had Devcich, Nicol and Ellis. :laugh: