• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
tbf Nz's tour was a bigger shambles than the English in SA atm. Eng may well recover their poise. Starting with Ferguson NZ copped injuries, more injuries then illness then your best bat goes down. Its a hard 10 days of cricket over Boxing Day to New Years and when you're getting pasted you're ready to go home well before the last day. NZ's bowlers were good all the way through despite the injuries but yeah the batting was trash. After what's happened to them on tour its no wonder "the cabbage" which is what my youngest calls NZ after he misheard Kiwis, just wanted to shoot this last day in the head and get home early.
Wagner and cdg were good. I think the ****tiness of our batting gave our bowling some excuses to hide behind. Yeah we kept things tight but I think that's more just australia realising that if they played safe we weren't going to produce enough unplayable deliveries to take wickets.

the big bambino

International Captain
You needed a fit Boult and Ferguson imo to put Oz under pressure and then you lost them. I would've had Sommerville from the start too though Tastle looked good here.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Yes, it feels like if Boult isn't knocking back an opener or two, NZ's only hope is Wagner Wagnering the oppo.... I thought the batting was screwed the moment the selectors forced themselves to pick Raval for the first test.

Also has to be mentioned that NZ's fielding in this series was pretty shoddy on the whole bar a brilliant moment or two. Australia took a couple of catches today (Lyon, Pattinson) that showed up NZ's efforts.

Sticking Australia in at Melbourne was a pretty dumb move in retrospect since the game plan of batting first and long seems to be the way to go in Australia.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're still on about this?

Aus lost in the UAE and thrashed in Sri Lanka last time they were there (during the last cycle) and NZ beat Pak 2-1 and drew with SL 1-1. Not hard to understand why we were ranked number 2. This is the first series we've lost since Mar 2017 against SA.
Yes I agree, I understand how the rankings work and that's exactly what I'm saying. My point was about how useless they are when predicting the result of the series, and this series has proved me absolutely correct as it unfolded exactly as I predicted, when many disagreed with me "because of the rankings".

NZ really flattered by not suffering at least one innings defeat this series.
Because they bowled first every game, which never helps in Test cricket tbf. I'm not saying they would have come close to winning a game but batting first might have reduced the margin.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I feel very bad for Neil Wagner in this moment. It must be a similar feeling to when Border was surrounded by plebs.
He certainly showed that his non-selection for the starting XI on the 2015 tour was one of the great blunders.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
The Labuschagne/Smith combo will be right up there with the great 3 & 4 combo’s in history imo.

Has a Dravid/Tendulkar feel about it.

The fact that Labuschagne is only 25 is fairly nuts, he’s a 25+ ton player by the end of his career imo. He’s a borderline all-rounder also, he’s going to be quite handy in Bangladesh and other sub continent games.

The fact that Australia also has this bowling attack at the moment and the strength of the current Indian side, holy **** it sets up for an epic decade, especially with something like the test championship in a neutral venue to spice things up and few of the young Australian players on the radar likely to step in over the next 2-3 years, along with the depth of the Indian side...

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Aus v India at Lords (hypothetically) gives Aus a pretty decent advantage conditions-wise though doesn't it?

TheJediBrah

Wouldn't have thought so

Quite neutral if anything
Even when Aus play England there though a lot of the talk is about how much Lords suits Australia compared to other English grounds and it's usually a game that they win even when they lose the series. And that's against the home side, let alone against India playing in even more foreign conditions.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Your only thinking of the bowlers.

Kholi averages 36 in England.

Smith probably has the best record there since Bradman, he has 6 tons @ 60.

Factor in Labuschagnes recent tour and the fact he is going back to Glamorgan again, I think the batting advantage will lie with Australia.

Bowling advantage is fairly neutral imo, maybe even slightly India’s way, as they get more traditional swing.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Your only thinking of the bowlers.

Kholi averages 36 in England.

Smith probably has the best record there since Bradman, he has 6 tons @ 60.

Factor in Labuschagnes recent tour and the fact he is going back to Glamorgan again, I think the batting advantage will lie with Australia.

Bowling advantage is fairly neutral imo, maybe even slightly India’s way, as they get more traditional swing.
Oh yeah true. Kohli lucky to average 36 too

vandem

International 12th Man
Yes I agree, I understand how the rankings work and that's exactly what I'm saying. My point was about how useless they are when predicting the result of the series, and this series has proved me absolutely correct as it unfolded exactly as I predicted, when many disagreed with me "because of the rankings".
Some of pointed out early that NZ's only chance to square the series was to hope for some luck at Perth so we bowled under the lights (and with hindsight also didn't need to field in 40 degree heat and could have taken advantage of one of the Aussie quicks breaking down). But wouldn't have mattered, as a more bowler friendly Melbourne strip and no bad weather meant Aussie were always going to win the final two matches.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very close. India like Lord's too btw.

Marnus and Smith are key for Australia. India have better #5-6 (assuming they play Vihari). Bowling is a wash mostly.

Bumrah vs Marnus-Smith will be the key to the game.

Jezroy

State Captain
An all time terribad performance by the K1W1s. One of the most disappointing series I’ve ever watched from the side I support.

Writing was just on the wall since Perth day 2 pretty much. Was desperately hoping that somewhere along the line I’d be proved wrong. But that fight that’s been there so much over the last few years (think Santner/Watling vs Eng, Nicholls/KW vs Pak, CDG/Watling vs SL) was given 6 chances to show up, and just didn’t. Yes Blundell made a 100, but what’s the point of it going to end up being? Is he really a long term solution at opener? Or are they just going to say “hey mate, hang around a couple of years and you’ll replace Watling”.

Bowling, Wagner saved us from being up against 600 3 times really. Southee was good in Perth, but something seems to be going on there behind the scenes. Resting him for a “big summer ahead” in a game they basically appear to have told the squad didn’t matter?

Hopeful for Ferguson to still be what we’re all hoping for, but who do they drop for him? Boult or Southee? Southee’s test record in the last few years has been really good, and he’s got a mountain of wickets. Boult is Boult. Wagner is Wagner. CDG is filling a great role. So then what? They’re going to come back to NZ and go pretty well I’m guessing.

Tastle was pretty good. Still don’t know what Ajaz has to do to get a good run. Somers was not what I had hoped. But I’d still rather any of them ahead of Santner.

Feeling right now = despondent

jcas0167

International Debutant
I don't think Southee was simply rested, there was a quote earlier in the thread from Stead suggesting they wanted Henry for the extra pace.

The batting of Williamson and Taylor was a real disapointment. A shame Kane missed this game as the pitch probably would have suited his game.

Aside from the standout Wagner, Blundell, Phillips and Astle enhanced their reputations. Latham showed some grit without going on and appeared to captain the side well.

Last edited:

Burgey

Very close. India like Lord's too btw.

Marnus and Smith are key for Australia. India have better #5-6 (assuming they play Vihari). Bowling is a wash mostly.

Bumrah vs Marnus-Smith will be the key to the game.
Assuming he’s fit and returns the same bowler.