• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there's going to be some good quotes in here for when burns, warner, wade and paine get destroyed by the indian swing bowling at lords.
Wade won't be there by then, and Paine may well have retired as well. Burns always has a question mark over him, too.

Very likely to be

Warner
Burns
Marnus
TPC
Head
KPat
Carey
Cummins
Starc/ Patto
Lyon
Haze

They'll win it in three days. May as well hand it over now.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Very close. India like Lord's too btw.

Marnus and Smith are key for Australia. India have better #5-6 (assuming they play Vihari). Bowling is a wash mostly.

Bumrah vs Marnus-Smith will be the key to the game.

India lost by an Innings and 158 runs in their last test there.

Thinking about it again.

The bowling advantage would be with Australia.

Cummins and Hazlewood were a ****load better than Bumrah and Shami in 2019 than their 2018 tour.

Hazlewood was just as good as Cummins and Cummins took 29 wkts @ 19.

vandem

International 12th Man
Southee 26 wickets @ 25.96 this season (in SL, v Eng, in Aus). I know some were pre-declaration wickets in Perth, but better numbers than I realised.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
there's going to be some good quotes in here for when burns, warner, wade and paine get destroyed by the indian swing bowling at lords.
Paine and Wade literally both averaged more in their recent series than Pant and Vihari’s last tour there.

And India averaged 18 for their opening wicket last tour.

Rahul - Ave 29
Dhawan - Ave 20
Vijay - Ave 6.5

Cummins and Hazlewood both averaged under 20 vs Bumrah and Shami in the mid 20’s.

Australia honestly has the batting advantage with Labuschagne/Smith vs literally Kohli on past performances, all the other batsmen from both sides have been decidedly average.

As has been said, it’s unlikely to feature Paine and Wade anyway, likely to be Carey & potentially someone like Cam Green in 18 months.

Paine will retire after the Indian series and before the SAF tour imo. I think Green likely debut’s in South Africa if he’s fit and performing, the same with Carey.

The opening slot is up in the air, it will be interesting to see how the Shield season finishes and who goes to Bangladesh.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's pretty incredible that this is the worst performance by an NZ team in Australia that I've seen in the past 30 years. Couple factors in play

1) Bowling 1st three times in a row (which KW was as much responsible for as anything).
2) Playing almost entirely on low and slower pitches over the past 2 years.
3) Certain players falling out of form or starting to show their age at the wrong time.
4) Poor selection strategy.

Overall though, this was an absolute embarrassment. At least in 2015 NZ competed well in the 2nd and 3rd tests. This was men against 10 boys and Wagner all the way through.

morgieb

It's pretty incredible that this is the worst performance by an NZ team in Australia that I've seen in the past 30 years. Couple factors in play

1) Bowling 1st three times in a row (which KW was as much responsible for as anything).
2) Playing almost entirely on low and slower pitches over the past 2 years.
3) Certain players falling out of form or starting to show their age at the wrong time.
4) Poor selection strategy.

Overall though, this was an absolute embarrassment. At least in 2015 NZ competed well in the 2nd and 3rd tests. This was men against 10 boys and Wagner all the way through.
Yeah for all the crap you can give the 2015 series, they really weren't far from 1-1. Now that flattered New Zealand and they got smacked on the only pitch that wasn't a lottery, but really they actually played well at times. They didn't here - this was more like 2004/08, and this NZ side >> those ones. (not to mention that the Aussie side is clearly a fair bit weaker than 04 at least, and quite arguably 08)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's weird to think this was probably our best chance, too. Next tour Wagner and Taylor won't be there, and it's not like Boult and Southee will increase in pace. We're going to have to find and develop some stars in the next 4 years.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Well, thank god this one is finally over. A series spanning a 3 weeks felt like 3 months. Can't wait for the Limited overs stuff.

I do believe that plenty of good will come out of such humiliation for us. There simply has to. The conservative selection and style of play we have been displaying might finally come to a stop because of what we have shown in these last few weeks.

What's concerning to me is how we are spiraling downwards since the ecstasy of the world cup. First that final, then that bitter t20 super over reminder against england, and now this.

Feel like we really need to thump India at home to get some mojo back, but that seems unlikely. If I was to select, I'd start bringing in loads of fresh talent into the side for the t20's and odi's now. Injecting Blundell and Phillips seemed to have invigorated us a bit.

thundaboult

International Debutant
It's weird to think this was probably our best chance, too. Next tour Wagner and Taylor won't be there, and it's not like Boult and Southee will increase in pace. We're going to have to find and develop some stars in the next 4 years.
Personally I've got big hopes from the likes of finn allen, kuggs, sears, ravindra. And who knows, more talent could pop up from outta nowhere and make a spot their own.

vandem

International 12th Man
Personally I've got big hopes from the likes of finn allen, kuggs, sears, ravindra. And who knows, more talent could pop up from outta nowhere and make a spot their own.
Current selection panel is VERY keen on squad stability. Even if new players may have a higher ceiling than current squad players. Ferguson is a good example, a real 140+ quick, 28 years old and 3 years after ODI debut, 70 wickets @ 20 in last 3 NZ FC seasons, but still behind Henry in the test pecking order.

TNT

Banned
NZ were dreadful.

Lost all respect for them when there top five players pulled out because the tour was too tough.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
NZ were dreadful.

Lost all respect for them when there top five players pulled out because the tour was too tough.
Iol yeah it's just like that time McGrath pulled out of an Ashes series because the cricket ball he stood on was too hard.

TheJediBrah

Current selection panel is VERY keen on squad stability. Even if new players may have a higher ceiling than current squad players. Ferguson is a good example, a real 140+ quick, 28 years old and 3 years after ODI debut, 70 wickets @ 20 in last 3 NZ FC seasons, but still behind Henry in the test pecking order.
well he's obviously not, he was picked ahead of him

Moss

International Vice-Captain
So, what do NZ do between now and the one day series? Apart from introspection, of course.
Oh yeah, there's the ODI leg as well in March. Looking forward to seeing the teal and black make a comeback, though I don't think NZ would be particularly kicked about having to set foot in Australia anytime soon. Oh well, play more rookies and debutants I say.

5 (!!) T20s, 3 ODIs and 2 Tests against India from January 24th onwards, to go along with the introspection.