• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is really ****ing awful from NZ.

Not only are they ruining the summer but they've also given Lyon a big bunch of wickets in these last two games.
This is exactly how next summer will go mate. You’re being prepared so it’s less of a shock for you guys

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am so glad that's over.

Credit to New Zealand, made Pakistan's army of desperately unfit batsmen and teenage bowlers look like a cricketing powerhouse.

TheJediBrah

Deserved the 10-for. This is why I've been such a big Lyon supporter since I first saw him as a young club offie in the country's capital.

vcs

Thank goodness that's over.

Australia lost Hazlewood to injury after one over, Smith had an indifferent series (wasn't really required TBF), can't remember the middle order having to do much either apart from a couple of breezy contributions from Paine, and Australia still barely broke a sweat.

Flem274*

123/5
top work australia. there's about to be a lot of justified sprays thrown at nz in here so time to give credit where it's due.

in a series where their best batsman was kept relatively quiet and warner was kept in check until the chance to downhill ski was too tempting to hold him back, they batted really ****ing well in partnerships. even the junior players like burns, wade, paine and head contributed (head in particular).

labuschagne was a juggernaut. i haven't run the numbers but without his runs this series is probably a lot closer. you don't often prevent smith and warner from scoring hundreds in australia (meaningful ones in warners case today) and still get absolutely smoked.

the bowling as a unit gives nothing. starc has upped his game from the talented spud of yesteryear and it's great to see pattinson back. cummins is of course cummins, and he's in the top 3 aussie quicks i've seen in my time.

the difference, well the biggest one, was labuschagne imo. there were a lot less batting milestones in this series than you'd think and pretty much all of them were this bloke who just keeps scoring runs with a simple, effective technique.

it's going to be nice watching england and india cop it for a change and not us next summer. it's been a good tour thread too.

vcs

What do the rankings look like? Australia should be at least neck and neck with NZ if not ahead, as far as I'm concerned. Form wise, they look superb and winning 3-1 in England as they should have would be a fair reflection of how well they've played over the last year.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
What do the rankings look like? Australia should be at least neck and neck with NZ if not ahead, as far as I'm concerned. Form wise, they look superb and winning 3-1 in England as they should have would be a fair reflection of how well they've played over the last year.
I think it was mentioned Aus would go to 2, NZ to 4-5 or something? If they won 3-0.

TheJediBrah

Well, realistically they should be a tier or 2 above NZ, but yeah pretty sure they will have overtaken them on the official rankings (for what they're worth, ie. not much).

I'm also assuming Aus has made a killing this summer in the "Test Championship" bull****

vcs

Warner, Labuschagne and then Smith coming in at 4 to destroy what's left of the bowlers' souls haha.

TheJediBrah

Labuschagne and Warner being so dominant this summer has ruined Smith's form. It started in the Pak series and continued here. Even when Smith came in in the 1st innings with the game still on the line here and at Melbourne, making 63 and 85 respectively, he did it very laboriously and looked in horrible touch.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Well, realistically they should be a tier or 2 above NZ, but yeah pretty sure they will have overtaken them on the official rankings (for what they're worth, ie. not much).

I'm also assuming Aus has made a killing this summer in the "Test Championship" bull****
You're still on about this?

Aus lost in the UAE and thrashed in Sri Lanka last time they were there (during the last cycle) and NZ beat Pak 2-1 and drew with SL 1-1. Not hard to understand why we were ranked number 2. This is the first series we've lost since Mar 2017 against SA.

Flem274*

123/5
new zealand...

1. bowling attack balance - 3 swing bowlers has worked well in non asian conditions but in aus, sa and increasingly at home i think we need a 2-2 split of swing and hit the deck bowlers.

ferguson being injured was poor management but you shouldn't go to the mcg with 3 blokes skimming it along the wicket. a solid professional like hamish bennett or a young guy like jamieson or tickner should have played. southee needs to start hitting the deck hard again or get out because atm he's bowling at cdgs level without the batting. would still be an excellent injury reserve.

2. replace the psychologist and the batting coach - it's a damning indictment on the headspace of this side that barring latham and taylor the two plunket shield batsmen (one a wicketkeeper opening for the first time in his professional career) and the adorable idiot were the guys to score the few runs we did score.

a lot has been made of the step up between games in nz, nz domestic cricket and playing in aus but to me it looks more like the core of this team went in with fried brains and domestic cricket prepared the guys outside the squad really well. taylor looking to dominate lyon (and succeeding) in perth then completely reversing the tactic and stone walling the next morning points to a lack of confidence in any plans that were made. the core of the team hit a wall and didn't know what to do next which is in stark contrast to their achievements in asia.

3. a strong head coach - kane looks exhausted and like he's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders and part of a coachs role is to share the load. you see the likes of hansen and jones trolling the media and bringing the attention onto themselves rather than their players before a big game for example, and if a player has an absolute shocker and a journo questions them hansen defends his player to the hilt and treats the journo like they're his very simple child he doesn't talk about. in this tour we had gary stead mumbling and a physio giving the vaguest answer he could about why a player wasn't playing. seriously, get in the bin.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel very bad for Neil Wagner in this moment. It must be a similar feeling to when Border was surrounded by plebs.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
NZ really flattered by not suffering at least one innings defeat this series.

Didn't manage one partnership to reach at least 80 for the entire series; wonder when the last time that's happened in a 3 Test series.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
NZ really flattered by not suffering at least one innings defeat this series.

Didn't manage one partnership to reach at least 80 for the entire series; wonder when the last time that's happened in a 3 Test series.
Honestly I think Australia could have had three innings victories if they'd really felt like it.

Only two players averaged above 26 for NZ, and they were Blundell and Astle. Truly woeful performance from the batsmen.

the big bambino

International Captain
hahahha resolved yesterday to pretend cricket doesn't exist but holy **** this is mental capitulation on another level.
tbf Nz's tour was a bigger shambles than the English in SA atm. Eng may well recover their poise. Starting with Ferguson NZ copped injuries, more injuries then illness then your best bat goes down. Its a hard 10 days of cricket over Boxing Day to New Years and when you're getting pasted you're ready to go home well before the last day. NZ's bowlers were good all the way through despite the injuries but yeah the batting was trash. After what's happened to them on tour its no wonder "the cabbage" which is what my youngest calls NZ after he misheard Kiwis, just wanted to shoot this last day in the head and get home early.