• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ed you are far too patient and wholesome
ed is the Boult to your Wagner. He is accurate and pacy, always threatens with a good full length, but don't mind facing him. Whereas you are more effective with slow short balls that bait the batsmen into unwise responses despite lacking the skill of ed.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Find it hilarious how Warne has spent so much time bagging (no pun intended) the baggy green in his anti-Steve Waugh rants, now it's the greatest gesture of all time to auction it off. From his previous antics I'd have thought he wouldn't be able to get rid of the thing.

Obviously very generous and to raise so much money is awesome though.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I don't think that takes into account the strength of the opposition. I may be wrong but I'd bet that any previous Test series where NZ have been competitive with Australia have featured very ordinary Aus sides. This is not an ordinary Aus side.
2001 series the exception to that, though weather helped out a bit.

TheJediBrah

2001 series the exception to that, though weather helped out a bit.
Yeah that is true, but it was only really the 3rd test that series where NZ was competitive. Aus dominated the first 2 and would have been 2-0 up if not for the weather you mentioned.

Flem274*

123/5
ed is the Boult to your Wagner. He is accurate and pacy, always threatens with a good full length, but don't mind facing him. Whereas you are more effective with slow short balls that bait the batsmen into unwise responses despite lacking the skill of ed.
i certainly am world class

_Ed_

Yeah that is true, but it was only really the 3rd test that series where NZ was competitive. Aus dominated the first 2 and would have been 2-0 up if not for the weather you mentioned.
To be fair, we got to 274-6 chasing 284 to win in the Brisbane test - I'd call that fairly competitive. Plus there was a plumb lbw inside the first half-hour that wasn't given, followed by a 200-run opening stand.

It was really only Hobart where the rain actually saved us.

The Hutt Rec

To be fair, we got to 274-6 chasing 284 to win in the Brisbane test - I'd call that fairly competitive. Plus there was a plumb lbw inside the first half-hour that wasn't given, followed by a 200-run opening stand.

Yeah I think NZ deserve credit for making the running in that Brisbane test ... declaring 199 runs behind sort of forced Australia's hand in making a game of it.

TheJediBrah

Not even remotely. Only reason NZ were chasing 284 and not 450+ was because Aus declared at 2-80 in the second innings to make a game of things, which was a result of time lost to rain. It was a classic Steve Waugh thing to do, risking the loss to try and force the win.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
this is a better team than flemings side facing a lesser team than waughs side and the results are speaking for themselves. it was thoroughly predictable, but still piss poor.

what flemings side didn't lack were ****s who thought the world of themselves. richardson, cairns, parore, mcmillan, nash, vettori...no lack of self belief there. astle and fleming were pretty chill blokes but you wouldn't lack attitude in flemings dressing room despite the fact very few of those players would make the 2019 side.

Flem274*

123/5
Not even remotely. Only reason NZ were chasing 284 and not 450+ was because Aus declared at 2-80 in the second innings to make a game of things, which was a result of time lost to rain. It was a classic Steve Waugh thing to do, risking the loss to try and force the win.
well then too bad for steve waugh if he lost. i know australians are as terrified of looking passive as we are of looking improper when it comes to cricket, but australias obsession with penis length has often been its undoing.

OverratedSanity

I think you're selling them a bit short. Richardson, Cairns, Nash, Vettori, Fleming would all make this side pretty easily imo.

Burgey

God this lot are terrible. Series surrendered without a yelp, about to get whitewashed and now they have a dig. Why? Stop wasting time and just be done with it. In many ways this is the worst insult to your supporters. Get in the bin, all of you.

That’s better.

morgieb

Jeez de Grandhomme has played some crap shots this series. It's one thing to get outgunned, quite another to look comfortable but chuck your wicket away.

TheJediBrah

Yeah I think NZ deserve credit for making the running in that Brisbane test ... declaring 199 runs behind sort of forced Australia's hand in making a game of it.
This is a complete misrepresentation of events. When NZ "declared behind" they were 8-down and not in the game by any stretch. Aus declaring at 2-80 in the second innings is what really made a game of it, and they weren't forced to do it. It was very generous.

The only way you can consider NZ competitive in that game is if you completely ignore how well each team played, and the scores, and just focus on the end result with no context.

Moss

CdG the batsman encapsulated in two balls there.

Acquitted himself well on this tour I thought, excellent with the ball. Been a curate's egg with the bat but found himself coming in far too early each time.

The Hutt Rec

this is a better team than flemings side facing a lesser team than waughs side and the results are speaking for themselves. it was thoroughly predictable, but still piss poor.

what flemings side didn't lack were ****s who thought the world of themselves. richardson, cairns, parore, mcmillan, nash, vettori...no lack of self belief there. astle and fleming were pretty chill blokes but you wouldn't lack attitude in flemings dressing room despite the fact very few of those players would make the 2019 side.
Richardson, Bond, Cairns and Vettori would all be locks, I reckon, Astle/Nicholls pretty even, Nash a chance (certainly would have made the side for this test).