• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

thierry henry

International Coach
Is this satire? I'm gen x. I really miss the great analysis of the past be it in sport, politics, culture whatever.

I used to think Paul Holmes was a bit average but compared to excrement like Seven Sharp and The Project he appeared a genius.

Watch old political debates between Muldoon and Lange then compare that to Jacinda and Simon. I really miss informed analysis. Our media used to apply critical thinking and in depth analysis. Now Stuff and the NZ Herald produce garbage and don't even proofread.
ok boomer

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The answer is that Cummins probably has a higher release than Starc. Starc bends over a lot and has a very low release for his height. They had some measurement during the Brisbane test against SL last year and Starc's release was only 6cm higher than 5'10" Richardson's.
This also plays back into my earlier comments regarding Matt Henry - I swear the best times I've seen him bowl, when he's in the best rhythm, he seems to release the ball right at the top of his delivery stride and that gives him a bit more zip. Other times he... doesn't, seems to almost squat through the crease, not making the most of his height.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It’s weird how Cummins is shorter and slower and yet when Starc hits the same length as Cummins he seems to be less ‘into the deck’. Cricket defies physics.
would be interested to see their actual release points. Starc gets way lower at release so I wouldn't be surprised is cummins has a higher actual release point.

thierry henry

International Coach
would be interested to see their actual release points. Starc gets way lower at release so I wouldn't be surprised is cummins has a higher actual release point.
Yep, I’ve never really considered Starc ‘slingy’ but he has a really long delivery stride which drops his height

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So we aren't allowed to debut guys? Gary Stead is that you?
Where did I say that, though?

But honestly, who is knocking the door down? Last ODI seamer used outside of Boult, Ferguson, Southee and Henry was Bracewell vs India early last year. Before that it was Rance and Kuggleijn in Ireland iirc. Stead and Larsen are incredibly conservative as we've seen.

Personally I'd bring in Bennett, maybe even Ravindra for some spin, Blair Tickner or Nathan Smith. Considering Jamieson is already there, may as well and see how international cricket likes him.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yep, I’ve never really considered Starc ‘slingy’ but he has a really long delivery stride which drops his height
when I (not so) briefly went down the biomechanics rabbithole in an effort to become NZs answer to Mitch Johnson it seemed well understood that trying to optimise an action for pace is not always the same as optimising for bounce. Starc's action is not unlike Lee's - near perfect for producing consistent pace but in exploiting all the lower body stretch reflex you lose a bit of release height.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Unless it reverses, looks to be hard work on this pitch for pacers, especially once the new ball wears off. What Oz pacemen feast on is pace and this looks the slowest pitch of the summer.

Lyon will bowl a stack here, probably Labuschagne as well.