• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2015/16

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Keeping in mind the front-end camera trap. Gibson looks like he has a lot going for him. After watching plenty of overs from domestics on the pooch, instantly on seeing a few deliveries from Zak I'm thinking he could be a cut above.
Yeah good comment, however he doesn't look as flash from behind by memory from a Kippax clip. I will go back through this thread to see if I can repost it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Viljoen bowls like any number of awkward half-off-the-wrong-foot club bowlers that get massive inswing. Was too much for B Cachopa in the first innings. Similarly, Wilson embarrassed by Ferguson in Otago's first innings - was nowhere near it.

87 and 46 from O'Donnell pretty good when there's been only two other batsmen from either side pass 28 after three innings.

Despite Auckland's collapse they're surely pretty likely to defend 220ish on this wicket.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Righto, who can give me a rundown on this Bharat Popli chap?
I will let one of the other posters, this isn't his first season yet it his first season he has made an impression.

I only wanted to comment that his inning today showed he is a team man and that he can bat quickly to set up a declaration if required.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bharat Popli's philosophy when it comes to cricket is pretty simple - keep scoring runs and the rest will fall into place.

Popli, 25, scored his ninth century for the Bay of Plenty senior team last weekend, which is five more than past greats Mike Wright, Mathew Hart and Richard Shrimpton.

Popli said he never really thought he'd score that many centuries for the Bay.

"I try and keep it as simple as I can," he said. "I don't try set too many goals, I just try and score as many runs as I can."

Popli will get a chance to score his 10th century for the province next week at the Northern Districts one-day tournament to be held in Taupo. He says making it to 10 would be nice, but individual glory is not his focus.

"If it helps win us games, that's great. But at the end of the day it is about winning games."

Popli was born in New Delhi, India but grew up in Tauranga. He attended Tauranga Boys' College at the same time as Black Cap Kane Williamson.

He says there was a great work ethic and culture within the cricket group led by Williamson.

"We were both in the same age group teams for Bay of Plenty and stuff. That was pretty special. The rest of us just fed off him trying to get better," Popli said.

Popli's early season form for Bay of Plenty and the Northern Knights has seen him selected in a President's XI playing against Sri Lanka that began yesterday in Queenstown. Tauranga batsman Joe Carter is also in the line-up.

Popli is contracted with the Northern Knights and has played 12 games in their Plunket Shield (four-day) team. So far he has scored three 50s but is yet to crack the century mark for the Knights.

He started this season off brightly, with two centuries for the Bay and a top score of 91 for the Knights against Wellington in October.

"Ideally I want to play all forms of the game. I want to try and score big in the Plunket Shield and push for a position in the one-day team. But it is all about scoring runs."

Long hours working on his batting over the off-season has paid off for the likeable Popli.

"It is going pretty well. I worked pretty hard over the winter to work out a few technical issues. I spent a lot of time with Matt Horn from the Knights, training with him up in Auckland."

Popli has an engineering degree from the University of Auckland but constructing innings with a bat in his hand is his sole focus for now.
Cricket: Ton-up kid has simple philosophy - Bay of Plenty Times - Bay of Plenty Times News

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Ajaz Patel is now top wicket taker. What the hell? When did that happen?

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
NZA based on this year's stats (most runs/most wickets)

Ben Smith
Raval
O'Donnell
Popli
Broom
Murdoch
Blundell (Keeper)
Astle
Kugglelign
Baker
Patel

Zinzan