• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Flem274*

123/5
Raval is my next cab off the rank. He might prove to be better than Rutherford, he might not. No way to know without trying him out.

Why blacklist Papps? He's scored mountains of runs domestically. If you're going to argue that he has a technical deficiency (despite the fact that he's re-molded his technique) then you have to apply the same logic to Guptill.
I'm Raval's biggest defender on the forum but your argument doesn't make sense to me. If you drop Rutherford you have to be confident the new bloke is the better batsman (which is why I want us to wait for Rutherford to play some Shield matches), especially since Rudds has finished with a hard fought (and fortunate) not out, otherwise you are just wasting everyones time.

Papps has remodeled the parts of his technique that didn't need any work for test cricket, Siddons just wants Power Papps to hit some HRV maximums. He still gets out in the exact same way he did in 2007 - plodding on the front foot to deliveries rising off a length or back of a length. He did it in the current game to van Beek and he's been doing it since he began his career. Guptill isn't getting out bowled through the gate to drives or nicking off. There's a difference.

And I haven't blacklisted Papps' but Shots Off Both Feet will have.

edit: who are these openers who are better batsmen and have more runs than Guptill? It's looking pretty even to me.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He's only taken one wicket, but it's encouraging that Milne's already bowled 22 overs this innings. The next most is Trego with 15.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Pax Confessions:

Made a detour into Linden this afternoon to watch Weerasundara bat vs. Dane Hutchinson and friends. Watching from side on, the lurch onto the front foot and attempts to play fiddly little front-foot cuts to length balls hasn't improved at all unfortunately, it's perhaps even comparable to a young Michael Papps. Anyway, the U20s were set about 135, and L'il Black Gloves delighted two members of the 40-strong crowd as he came out to open the reply. Tilted his back into a near-horizontal stance and choked down low on the blade. He never really stunned anyone with the boom factor Siddons would want to see before contracting him, but still had six or seven sixes on the tiny ground. Approximate score of about 70*(90).

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Bennett! **** yeah!

Only his second ever FC 5-fer, and he looked pretty happy about it.

P.S. Hurricane, I hate the addendum to your signature ...... :(

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
ugh Milne... he's really had a nightmare start to the season. He'll be struggling to hold on to his place in the FC side at this rate. Very pleased that Bennett's still taking wickets though.

The Eden Park pitch looks like a real typical Auckland stinker. Hopefully the curators can inject a bit more bounce into the surface that we play India on next year.

Howsie

International Captain
Joe Carter, judging by his boundaries, looks like he has a very productive late cut.
Productive start to his career too, sooooooo glad to see the likes of him, Popli, Hickey etc finally get their chances. Popli has scored so many runs at Hawke cup/A level it isn't funny. I was so scared we'd lose these guys to other provinces if we refused to move on from the older guys, looks like it happened at just the right time. Shame there isn't much coming through in the bowling department, plenty of talent with the bat though.

Flem274*

123/5
What's the feeling on Pammett in the region Howitzer? IIRC you said there were those who thought Bradburn was too loyal and moneyball in his selections.

Howsie

International Captain
What's the feeling on Pammett in the region Howitzer? IIRC you said there were those who thought Bradburn was too loyal and moneyball in his selections.
Yep, Bardburn was faaaar too loyal for most. Guys that should've been given the flick a year or two earlier were just allowed to carry on doing pretty much sweet **** all, and not just on the field either. Big fan of that moneyball crap too, although that was hardly a big problem. Pammett is his own man, he didn't agree on a few things Bradburn did or thought, so things will change and some have already done that. A lot of these guys coming through, Carter, Hickey, Popli etc have had a lot to do with Pammett, he's been the "A"s coach for a couple of seasons. He'll want to see them getting a fair shot and that looks like they will.

vandem

International 12th Man
Declaration 100 behind from Auckland. Obviously back themselves to skittle ND. Guptill is on a bit of a roll with the runs so maybe they could have gone for the lead. Dunno, will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Don't think Aucks were ever serious about skittling ND. Always waiting for a 4th day run chase. I dropped in yesterday, at 2-90 the bowling "attack" was Guptill and Raval. Friendliest bowling I've ever seen in a FC game. A little frustrating for Mitchell, he'd take a single to long on on the first ball of the over, then see Carter take boundaries off the long hops or full tosses.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
ugh Milne... he's really had a nightmare start to the season. He'll be struggling to hold on to his place in the FC side at this rate. Very pleased that Bennett's still taking wickets though.

The Eden Park pitch looks like a real typical Auckland stinker. Hopefully the curators can inject a bit more bounce into the surface that we play India on next year.
Unfortunatly I don't see it happening as it is a first year groundsman it is likely that he will be conservative like the Seddon groundsman was.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Productive start to his career too, sooooooo glad to see the likes of him, Popli, Hickey etc finally get their chances. Popli has scored so many runs at Hawke cup/A level it isn't funny. I was so scared we'd lose these guys to other provinces if we refused to move on from the older guys, looks like it happened at just the right time. Shame there isn't much coming through in the bowling department, plenty of talent with the bat though.
I had great hopes that Horne would change things here :(

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Hmmm Guptill's excellent form continuing...Getting a bit closer perhaps.
Topping the run scoring and averages charts at the moment
and has just bought up 600 runs in 4 FC matches (7 innings @ over 100 by my calcs) this season I have not looked at the domestic schedule but is lining himself up nicely for a 1000 run season.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I thought it was a strange knick by Nicol when I looked at the scores last night (50NO off 159 balls with Canty exactly 300 ahead). Now I see they batted on and left an ungettable target in not that many overs.

Just zero faith in an NZ FC pitch breaking up? Not worth setting a gettable target?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
fmd, can't really ignore Guptill's form, can we? But the idea of him returning to the Test side doesn't sit well with me atm. If he does get a 1000 runs this season as RxGM calculated and one of Fulton or Rutherford has a bad Indian series, give him a ticket to the Caribbean.