• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if it includes this match, but guess who is currently number two in the Shield runs with an average of 96?:p

edit: it does
you can't just jump up the list when you weren't on the A tour or in the group of front runners after a handful of domestic matches. I realise Guptill was injured but he was pretty much dropped at that point too. Gotta earn the right etc.

Flem274*

123/5
you can't just jump up the list when you weren't on the A tour or in the group of front runners after a handful of domestic matches. I realise Guptill was injured but he was pretty much dropped at that point too. Gotta earn the right etc.
You mean like Tom Latham?

Flem274*

123/5
He has 1 ton and 2 fifties from 3. Guptill has 2 and 2 from 4. Guptill has more games and more tons.

Are you from Canterbury?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He has 1 ton and 2 fifties from 3. Guptill has 2 and 2 from 4. Guptill has more games and more tons.

Are you from Canterbury?
nope, Wellington. I'm saying that runs this season need to be put into the context of last season (during which Guptill could buy a run in test cricket) and over the winter A tour.

Again, Latham probably hasn't done enough over this period but he's done more than Guptill.

Flem274*

123/5
Latham hasn't done more than Guptill though. It isn't his fault he was injured or with the senior team and therefore too good to be in the A team. Latham did **** all for most of last season, and Guptill was playing a higher level of cricket. You're just making another Wagner out of this again.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Latham hasn't done more than Guptill though. It isn't his fault he was injured or with the senior team and therefore too good to be in the A team. .
It's not his fault, no, but he was about to be dropped anyway so I don't think the thinking was that he was too good to be in the A team. If he'd been batting well and then got an injury - yes, straight back in the side as soon as he scores runs. But he wasn't, so he has to prove it again. A couple of centuries isn't enough.

There's probably not as much between them as I'm advocating. Whatever. There are other guys ahead of them both.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. Raval has faded away and Papps is probably blacklisted.

Overall I just don't like the idea of giving a guy who's been given a very lenient extended run, and comprehensive failed, a quick way back into the team. Also, If Papps is blacklisted than Guptill should be too.

Flem274*

123/5
Another missed chance for a daddy hundred from Jesse, and Hendo's Hero goes early in the second dig. Carter has twin 50s for the match and Nicol a new season high score of 12*.

Flem274*

123/5
Overall I just don't like the idea of giving a guy who's been given a very lenient extended run, and comprehensive failed, a quick way back into the team. Also, If Papps is blacklisted than Guptill should be too.
wtf why?

Who is your next cab off the rank and why are they a better player than the dropped opener and the other openers competing for the hypothetical spot?

I don't have a horse in this race, but you writing off blokes with words like "never" and holding players to two different standards is wrong.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think we missed Mitchell also scoring runs. Looks promising.

I said that Anderson is undroppable, but the only reasonable thing the selectors can do at this point is straight swap Jesse for Corey and Vettori for Sodhi. The best thing short term would be for McCullum to be made to open again but that's not happening.

Ryder must be fit in though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
wtf why?

Who is your next cab off the rank and why are they a better player than the dropped opener and the other openers competing for the hypothetical spot?

I don't have a horse in this race, but you writing off blokes with words like "never" and holding players to two different standards is wrong.
Raval is my next cab off the rank. He might prove to be better than Rutherford, he might not. No way to know without trying him out.

Why blacklist Papps? He's scored mountains of runs domestically. If you're going to argue that he has a technical deficiency (despite the fact that he's re-molded his technique) then you have to apply the same logic to Guptill.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not dropping that golden arm for anyone. It's like now we finally have a little bit of depth we're throwing our toys we can't play 12 or 13 blokes instead of enjoying having good reserves to push the first team along.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Neither am I though.

All I'm saying that there are plenty of openers ahead of Guptill. Don't know what's so controversial about that.