• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I realised that was a **** comment almost as soon as I posted it. I wanted to go back and edit it out, but I had a lunch date with a pretty girl so I was like "**** this noise".

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I realised that was a **** comment almost as soon as I posted it. I wanted to go back and edit it out, but I had a lunch date with a pretty girl so I was like "**** this noise".

how very well adjusted you are. hmmm.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, not many runs for Ryder in the second innings even though it's a complete road. I wonder how many he'd have to score to be considered for WI and whether KW's injury might enhance his likelihood for that series.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really sure why Otago batted on as long as they did. They'll kick themselves if they have Wellington 5 or 6 down by the close.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand Cricket - Cairns and Hunt to identify future BLACKCAPS

Lance, rather than Chris.

Meanwhile the West Indies three day warm-up match from November 27-29 has been moved from Christchurch’s Hagley Oval to Lincoln and will see a New Zealand XI face a West Indies side topped up with local players. This is due to the fact that only seven West Indies players will be in the country at the time as they are now playing an ODI series in India. The match will not be a First Class fixture.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well their Test squad to India is as follows:

Darren Sammy
Tino Best
Darren Bravo
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Sheldon Cotterrell
Narisngh Deonarine
Kirk Edwards
Chris Gayle
Veerasammy Permaul
Kieran Powell
Dinesh Ramdin
Kemar Roach
Marlon Samuels
Shane Shillingford
Chadiwck Walton

The last time they played an ODI series, this was their squad:

Dwayne Bravo
Tino Best
Darren Bravo
Johnson Charles
Chris Gayle
Jason Holder
Sunil Narine
Kieron Pollard
Kemar Roach
Darren Sammy
Marlon Samuels
Lendl Simmons
Devon Smith

Which means the following players are in their most recently announced Test squad but not their most recently announced ODI squad:

Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Sheldon Cotterrell
Narisngh Deonarine
Kirk Edwards
Veerasammy Permaul
Kieran Powell
Dinesh Ramdin
Shane Shillingford
Chadiwck Walton

That's nine, and I reckon it's a safe bet they'll carry an extra keeper and an extra spinner for an ODI series in India, which means my best guess for the warmup lineup is:

1. Powell
3. Edwards
4. Deonarine
5. Chanderpaul
6. Walton/Ramdin
8. Shillingford
9. Cotterrall

Big chance for a couple of local bowlers and an opening bat then. :p

Howsie

International Captain
Excuses. Every team droped catches and bad decisions go against them. That'swhy the Bad-luck-Boult myth has really come to annoy me. People just seem to accept that he's a world-beating bowler born under an unlucky star. Maybe he just isn't as consistent as we like to think?
You're right, time to bring back Andy McKay.

New Zealand have a terrible slip cordon, one that would match Pakistan's of a few years ago. Give me two mintues and I could probably find 10 chances that have been put down in the last year. Given that he still has the record he does it's quite amazing actually.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, because I was obviously calling for Boult to be dropped.

Milne to force his way into the Windies side with a strong display in the warmup.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Interesting that Boult is being rested as he looked short of a gallop in the Bangladesh tests.
Flynn said on the radio today that he had picked up a small injury - did not specify beyond that

EDIT: Spotlight on Sport - Cricket - AudioMedia - LiveSPORT

From about half way through,

The first half is an interview with Edgar, he is very upfront, essentially criticises the Basin pitch for being a road and said runs on that pitch bairly count.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Article - Auckland Cricket

Dean Bartlett (Ellerslie)
Craig Cachopa (Takapuna)
Colin de Grandhomme (Howick Pakuranga)
Tipene Friday (Parnell)
Donovan Grobbelaar (Howick Pakuranga)
Gareth Hopkins (Captain) (Parnell)
Anaru Kitchen (Waitakere City)
Bruce Martin (Parnell)
Tim McIntosh (Parnell)
Jeet Raval (Suburbs New Lynn)
Bhupinder Singh (Papatoetoe)
Lockie Ferguson (Parnell)
Matt Quinn (Cornwall)

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Article - Auckland Cricket

Dean Bartlett (Ellerslie)
Craig Cachopa (Takapuna)
Colin de Grandhomme (Howick Pakuranga)
Tipene Friday (Parnell)
Donovan Grobbelaar (Howick Pakuranga)
Gareth Hopkins (Captain) (Parnell)
Anaru Kitchen (Waitakere City)
Bruce Martin (Parnell)
Tim McIntosh (Parnell)
Jeet Raval (Suburbs New Lynn)
Bhupinder Singh (Papatoetoe)
Lockie Ferguson (Parnell)
Matt Quinn (Cornwall)
Bates must be injured, it is a pretty inexperienced pace line up without him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think some people in this thread aren't seeing that there's a massive difference between accepting the reality of mediocrity and accepting mediocrity itself. What Bahnz is doing is column A which is a necessary precursor to improvement, far from being a defeatest attitude. You don't get better by pretending you're the best, setting stupidly high goals and expectations, ignoring anything that says otherwise then throwing a tanty when it doesn't all come right. You get better by being realistic about where you're at and what you need to work on. New Zealand cricketers simply have a lot of flaws coming out of the domestic game which are always going to get exposed at higher levels.
I know the reality is we're ****. I said that in my first post, but if we're going to improve then while you have to be very hard and objective on yourself (which is a very hard skill to learn) you also have to be an eternal optimist so your mind can handle that self reflection without losing heart. That inability to look in the mirror is something I also mentioned in my first post, and is a big contributor to the culture of mediocrity as much as the "in ten years we will be amazing" is.

Bahnz in his initial post sounded much like we have flaws in cricket that just can't be changed, and that is a defeatist attitude. "I can't" has no place in sport, no matter what level.

I don't expect change because I have no faith in the establishment to either want or do the work to do so, but I want it to happen.

EDIT: If I've misinterpreted you Bahnzicles then my bad. Bros?
Albert has been on fire with his posting for the past 3 months I won't say more than that or he will think I am shining him on. I basically agree with him and not so much with flem's earlier post although he sounds reasonable in the above.

Flem's original post (lets shoot for the stars) is exactly how NZC thinks. I am sure if you talk to them they have goals of being the number 1 team in the world within 5 years. That type of thinking led his Bazness to bat first against SA and get bowled out for 45 which some people still havn't realised the damage that did to the game in NZ (kids registrations are going through new low levels). That type of thinking also leads us to picking bowling line ups with the aim of winning tests even if it means batting Jeetan Patel at number 8 in a test. That sort of thinking at junior levels leads to a fixation with uncovering the next Martin Crowe and jealously saving away all the coaching tips for those players and saying **** you to all the 14 year old journey men. And yes your future is cast in concrete in NZ at the age of 14 with a few exceptions.

I'll take this from another angle. I am very well versed in the schools of positive thinking as my Dad was a salesman and made me read all his books when I was too young to know any better. The essence of goal setting is to set a goal that is just out of your reach. If you set it too far out of your reach then as much as you try to hype yourself to believe in it your heart (or subconscious mind) will have private doubts and then it is curtains on your chances of acheiving that goal. You must have complete belief at all levels of your consciousness then you can achieve your goal. The hackneyed quote I was indoctrinated with is "anything you can believe you can achieve".

I think it would be better if we aimed to be number 5 in the world in 5 years time. And there is no shame in being number 5. It will lead to us getting longer test series against top nations for a start.