• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Howsie

International Captain
Plunket Shield: Northern Districts
One day: Central Districts
HRV Cup: Northern Districts

James Baker for highest first class wicket taker.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
[Picks for upcoming season (first game starts tomorrow)

Plunket Shield: Wellington
One day: Wellington

Highest FC run-scorer: Jesse Ryder
Highest FC wicket-taker: Woakes
HRV Cup MVP: Scott Styris

Batting 6 in Test team at end of summer: Fanko
Current nationally contracted player who gets dropped from FC team: Tarun Nethula

Also regarding HRV selector - I can maybe run it - but want a show of hands who would enter, last two drafts we abandoned as only me and athers were keen.

Athers
hurricane
who else need 6 peeps.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
[Picks for upcoming season (first game starts tomorrow)

One day: Wellington

Highest FC run-scorer: Jesse Ryder
Highest FC wicket-taker: Woakes
HRV Cup MVP: Scott Styris

Batting 6 in Test team at end of summer: Fanko
Current nationally contracted player who gets dropped from FC team: Tarun Nethula

Also regarding HRV selector - I can maybe run it - but want a show of hands who would enter, last two drafts we abandoned as only me and athers were keen.

Athers
hurricane
who else need 6 peeps.
If Ryder goes near the top of the FC charts he'll play for NZ. Woakes isn't playing more than two Plunket matches, if any, is he? Agree on all the rest though - seeing Tarun's already been dropped from Hawke's Bay, makes sense he may miss CD at least on a green one early season.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
If Ryder goes near the top of the FC charts he'll play for NZ. Woakes isn't playing more than two Plunket matches, if any, is he? Agree on all the rest though - seeing Tarun's already been dropped from Hawke's Bay, makes sense he may miss CD at least on a green one early season.

3 games for Woaksey according to Cricinfo. He's good, he might go close..but nah. If he was playing all season, I'd have decent money on it though.

Isn't Tarun a "medium pacer" now? At least in his approach to the crease according to the piece on page 26. Should go well on green pitches! I get the feeling the selectors took one look at his reworked action and immediately contacted Astle without Tarun having a chance to use it: the "go back to domestic cricket" comments allude to him needing to try it out at a lower level than International. Which at least lends a soupçon of rationality to an otherwise harsh seeming dropping.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Plunket Shield: Otago...chokes after Christmas they say. But this time may still win.
Wooden spoon: Canterbury
One day: Auckland
HRV Cup: Auckland
Wooden spoon: Canterbury

Highest FC run-scorer: Lou Vincent
Highest U-23: Michael Bracewell
Highest FC wicket-taker: Ish Sodhi
HRV Cup MVP: Luke Ronchi

Black Cap LO debuts: Sodhi, Jimmy Neesham, Luke Ronchi, Anaru Kitchen, Bevan Small
Black Cap Test debuts: Sodhi
Batting 6 in Test team at end of summer: Todd Astle apparently ;) Real guess, Franklin

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Josh Brodie Again Cursed by Injury | Stuff.co.nz

Brodie's had a wretched run with broken bones in the last three years, so by comparison, a slight hamstring strain is pretty minor. Even so, it's still a disappointment to everyone at Cricket Wellington.

"He doesn't have much luck, unfortunately," said CW's director of cricket Robbie Kerr.

In Brodie's absence, new Plunket Shield captain Stephen Murdoch will open the batting with Michael Papps, with Michael Pollard and then Jesse Ryder to follow. From there it's a bit of a movable feast, due to the fulltime addition of wicketkeeper-batsman Luke Ronchi.

He's due to arrive in Wellington today, having represented his old Perth Scorchers team at the Twenty20 Champions League in South Africa.

Ronchi played one match for Wellington last summer, belting 111 against CD at Karori Park, but might only come in at seven in this game, behind Grant Elliott and Luke Woodcock.

"There's some good debate around that order," Kerr said. "You've got Ronchi, who's got a pretty good average for Wellington at this stage, and Luke Woodcock's averaged over 50 for the last three years, so you don't want those guys sliding down too low.

"But Grant Elliott was [Wellington] cricketer of the year three out of the last six years so his record stacks up."

That meant there was no place in the Firebirds' 12 for all-rounder Harry Boam, a regular across all three formats last summer.

Kerr said Ryder could provide the overs of medium pace that Boam ordinarily would, while the middle order was already congested enough.

Queensland quick bowler Dane Hutchinson looms as the likely 12th man, with Wellington looking to go into the match with three fast bowlers and Jeetan Patel as their frontline spinner.

Opening bowler Mark Gillespie got through 25 overs, across two days, during the team's tune-up match against Northern Districts at Mount Maunganui and will be joined in the pace attack by Andy McKay and Scott Kuggeleijn.

Gillespie has been slowed by an ankle injury during the pre-season but, providing he suffers no adverse effects from his bowling loads against ND, he'll be fit for Sunday.
The rest of the country will be pleased to hear how much we're planning to bowl Ryder. Doing the 4th seamer work that keeps Boam out of the side too, which should make him doubly keen to recapture his 40 wickets at 25 for Wgtn early days.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Come on James McMillan, where's the 140+ intimidation factor that should make light work of a domestic tail and keep Duffy out of the side?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Todd Astle showing his allroundness with 95 to give Canterbury something to bowl at. Canterbury look such a hodgepodge team - their bowling will be good if everyone is fit however their batting looks dodgy particularly if Fulton and Stewart don't have good seasons (which I'm picking).

As everyone's been saying for ages, Boam needs to move to another side - any other team barring Wellington would be happy to have him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ford Trophy: Auckland
HRV Cup: Wellington

Highest FC run scorer: Murdoch
Highest FC wicket taker: Gillespie

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Plunket Shield: ND.
One day: Wellingtron (they have to win something one day, surely. And the OD competition is probably the hardest to pick)

Highest FC run-scorer: Matthew Sinclair
Highest FC wicket-taker: Arnel
HRV Cup MVP: Munro

Batting 6 in Test team at end of summer: Flynn

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Plunket Shield: ND.
One day: Wellingtron (they have to win something one day, surely. And the OD competition is probably the hardest to pick)

Highest FC run-scorer: Matthew Sinclair
Highest FC wicket-taker: Arnel
HRV Cup MVP: Munro

Batting 6 in Test team at end of summer: Flynn
I hope not.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Plunket shield: ND
HRV Cup: CD
Ford Trophy: Otago

Highest FC run scorer: Hamish Rutherford
Highest FC wicket taker: Aldridge

Howsie

International Captain
It looks as though Adam Wheater has all but been confirmed as ND's keeper for the four day stuff this season. Decent pick up it must be said, neither Ivins nor Gadsdon are ready for FC at this stage.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wicket ways beckon Ryder | Hawkes Bay Sport | Surfing, Rugby, Soccer, Football, Cricket in Hawkes Bay

Some really bad news for the Stags here, will let me put up a bit of Mathieson footage though probably.

Stags spoilt for player choice | Stuff.co.nz

His Manawatu team-mate, speedster Bevan Small, could have been an option to replace Bracewell but is still suffering from a recurring rib injury.

"I'd absolutely love to have him on the park" Hunt said. "The reality is he's going to have some surgery quite soon."

CD will have their test players available for about eight games of the Plunket Shield this season but they will be a rare sight in the shorter formats.

Left-arm swing bowler Ben Wheeler from Marlborough has recovered faster than expected from injury and should play, while CD will see more of leg-spinner Tarun Nethula than expected, after he was dropped from the national side.

Northern Districts newcomer Andrew Mathieson, former Wellington right-armer Andrew Lamb and Manawatu's Roald Badenhorst should fight it out for the final bowling spot in the XI.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I hope not.
I hope not as well - my picks are very much with the idea that nothing will really change this season i.e. ND's bowling attack will be good even if only occasionally has Southee & Boult. Sinclair will have a top season just to make us all imagine what might have been. Auckland will win T20 again. Many of the bowlers who could threaten Arnel for top spot are likely to have fitness issues anyway.

Feeling more confident that Ryder might be back in NZ test side by end of summer, which sees Flynn slip down to 6. Picking Franklin to outscore Flynn in SL but then Franklin to be mincemeat on the SA tour, while Flynn does ok.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Now that Franklin is bowling the ball a foot outside off stump with a 6-3 field - I am hoping it will be him rather than Flynn just for the bowling option. he won't take any wickets but he can give our main guys a rest.

Mike5181

International Captain
Now that Franklin is bowling the ball a foot outside off stump with a 6-3 field - I am hoping it will be him rather than Flynn just for the bowling option. he won't take any wickets but he can give our main guys a rest.
Ryder will fill that role eventually anyway.