• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Great news. I was under secretary of **** before getting frustrated with his over aggressive batting style.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket | Jesse Ryder Rejuvenated | Stuff.co.nz

In fact, the 28-year-old has so impressed Wellington coach Jamie Siddons with his attitude and pre-season from that he's not expecting to see too much of Ryder this summer - for all the right reasons.

"I would imagine he won't be [with us] for long because he will be with the Black Caps - he's going fantastic," Siddons said.
Bracewell, Wheeler, Small 5/2 for Manawatu yesterday, we just need Nelson Park to not be a 550 pitch next week. :cool:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sodhi's struck an ideal season to be a rookie tbh. We can look at it a bit like an ITM Cup rugby season rather than Super 15. For every spell he risks getting some treatment from a Ryder he'll get ten spells of really hapless domestix who play back to quicker balls and generally have no idea.
New Northern Knight Ish Sodhi destroyed Welly today, 5-28 off 15. F-birds all out 198 in 69 overs (Murdoch 26, Pollard 61, Boam 36)
MargotWritesCricket (MargotButcher) on Twitter

:whistling

Blain

U19 Captain
We really need a test spinner emerge in the next 2 seasons. Patel has given me a bit of confidence in him after his recent showings, but he's getting on. Astle and Nethula are never going to be international forces or anything in my opinion. I hope Ish carves up this season and stays away from the Black Caps, need to let wristys develop their consistancy and variations.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep well said, a bit fearful myself someone in particular will latch onto him and his 'pride of Papatoetoe' qualities via these Friday night HRV games, "if he's not better than Todd Astle I'm not here" etc.

Cricket: Three debutants in Stead's Canterbury squad... | Stuff.co.nz

Hard hitting Marist-Harewood allrounder Ben McCord is part of Stead's 14-man squad as are McCord's club team-mate Cole McConchie and Canterbury Country wicket-keeper David Fulton...

...[Brother Peter] Fulton will captain the side and is likely to open the batting with George Worker, followed by Stewart and Brownlie.

If Auckland are eliminated from the Champions League this morning, Cachopa will be back in time and bat in the middle order with Henry Nicholls.

The makeup of the bowlers is easier to work out, thanks to a lack of fit bodies, leaving left-armers Willie Lonsdale and Ed Nuttall to join English import Gareth Andrew.

That would leave just one spot up for grabs and a decision on playing a fourth seamer or second spinner will probably be made on Saturday.

East Christchurch Shirley offspinner Tim Johnston could play his fifth first-class match or McCord could debut.

McCord would add more with the bat, but the already strong middle-to-lower order and the dry nature of the Mainpower Oval wicket could play into Johnston's favour
Cricket: 'Unlucky' Dean Robinson still in mix for... | Stuff.co.nz

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I hope Ish carves up this season and stays away from the Black Caps, need to let wristys develop their consistancy and variations.
Respectfully disagree. If Sodhi does prove to be the business and carves up in the PS (big if), I reckon he should move into the national framework relatively quickly, maybe as early as next year. He's unlikely to learn much about the art of legspin whilst bowling at utterly clueless domestic batsmen. Better to get him into a competitive and professional environment while he's still young and developing.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
317/2. Brad Wilson made 53 this morning, Joey Yovich 29, James Marshall retired on 73, Daniel Flynn retired on 76 (both just so as to give everyone a bat), Corey Anderson was going well at 59 not out and Daryl Mitchell 16 not out with over an hour still to play
Hell Wellington F-Birds indeed. :p

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
T20 Game One

Wellington Firebirds 161/7 (Papps 40), Northern Knights 161/5 (Devcich 49, Flynn 35). Super-over: Knights 8, Firebirds 9.

T20 Game Two

Northern Knights 186/6 (Wilson 30, Devcich 55, Flynn 47, Hutchinson 3-29), Firebirds 190/4 (Ryder 121, Jono Boult 2-22).

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Otago Cricket - Otago Volts team named for season opener

Derek de Boorder (C)
Michael Bracewell
Neil Broom
Ian Butler
Mark Craig
Jacob Duffy
James McMillan
James Neesham
Aaron Redmond
Hamish Rutherford
Neil Wagner
Sam Wells

With the bowling attack ideally we would have liked to take two spinners due to the conditions we encountered up there in the warm up match. Unfortunately Nick Beard has a shoulder injury at the moment and was not able to be considered for selection.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Respectfully disagree. If Sodhi does prove to be the business and carves up in the PS (big if), I reckon he should move into the national framework relatively quickly, maybe as early as next year. He's unlikely to learn much about the art of legspin whilst bowling at utterly clueless domestic batsmen. Better to get him into a competitive and professional environment while he's still young and developing.
Let him play a couple of FC games before we speculate on his future.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Let him play a couple of FC games before we speculate on his future.
Just making a general comment about young spinners in New Zealand really. Domestic batsmen simply don't have the technique or experience to play spin to anything even approaching a competent standard. As a result, if a young spinner actually shows some genuine promise (a la Vettori way back in 1996) there's little point in leaving him in the domestics for long, as he's unlikely to really be tested or learn much about how best to bowl. The sluggish, green pitches typical of a lot of FC matches don't exactly encourage a young spinner's development either.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Blain's probably right about wrist spinners being separate and distinct in them needing to learn to land the ball consistently and feel a freedom to experiment with variations without brutal repercussions. In fairness to the point though, in the game against the U19 Scots Wellalbidarned noted he was almost taking the piss with loop and toying with their limitations.
Sodhi vs. Scotland U19 - YouTube

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Does anybody know Ben McCord's bowling style, batting number/hand and date-of-birth?

On another note-has de Boorder officially taken over as Otago skipper? It was Redmond last time I checked, but given his poor form last season, it would make sense for someone else to have a go.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Also, no mention of van Beek in that Canterbury article: he has a contract, so I'd expect him to be in the equation along with Nuttall (who doesn't).

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Does anybody know Ben McCord's bowling style, batting number/hand and date-of-birth?

On another note-has de Boorder officially taken over as Otago skipper? It was Redmond last time I checked, but given his poor form last season, it would make sense for someone else to have a go.
McCord is right arm, not super fast so I guess that'd make him fast-medium? I get those terms confused. Probably around 125-130 I'd guess. Bats right handed as well. No idea on date-of-birth though sorry.

And yeah de Boorder is the full time captain now. Redmond has scored runs in pre-season games so hopefully he'll continue that in the coming weeks.

Mike5181

International Captain
McCord is right arm, not super fast so I guess that'd make him fast-medium? I get those terms confused. Probably around 125-130 I'd guess. Bats right handed as well. No idea on date-of-birth though sorry.

And yeah de Boorder is the full time captain now. Redmond has scored runs in pre-season games so hopefully he'll continue that in the coming weeks.
Late 120s-early/mid 130s is medium-fast, I guess. Fast-medium is for guys in the 135-140 range.